Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

How do you know the majority want this to go ahead?

Nobody can tell. But let me say this once again - if Garth Brooks doesn't play - my Liverpool-based cover band, who play his biggest hits in aid of famine relief, Gorta Brookside, we are ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Originally Posted by Wishiwasa Littlebitaller
    He hasn't cancelled any concerts. DCC has. He still wants to play them all.

DCC have issued licences for 3 nights and denied them for 2.

Are you seriously suggesting that an Irish planning authority should get into a bartering match with a country and western act? Really?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

P_1 wrote: »
    So we have a foreign citizen agitating for us to change our laws to suit their own agenda and seemingly having some success with it? I wonder how he'd feel if we decided to poke our noses in the law making of Oklahoma?

We should do a compromise. he gets the 5 gigs but jedward, dustin, linda martin, MD Higgins and Daniel O’Donnell get to support one of the nights each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Why the fook are RTE repeating this over and over again?

I would like to hear about the awful situation in Gaza please, RTE.

Then why are you on this thread??

You are on the Internet, surely you can go elsewhere and read about Gaza, but yet you don't... you're here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I work with someone who's from Brazil. She's happy that most of the office have something to be more embarrassed about. That's the possibility that our Prime minister may actually apologise to a Country and Western singer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    We should do a compromise. he gets the 5 gigs but jedward, dustin, linda martin, MD Higgins and Daniel O’Donnell get to support one of the nights each.

I agree. But let me say this once again - if Garth Brooks doesn´t play, my cover band, who busk at Belgian Railway Stations, Gare de Bruxelles, will be happy to let them support. Well not Linda Martin.

Why the fook are RTE repeating this over and over again?

I would like to hear about the awful situation in Gaza please, RTE.

:mad::mad::mad:

Edit: feck off Caitriona :pac:

i'm actaully sick of constand news about different cultures blowing each other up abroad. Been constant now for as long as i can remenber. If you don't like the main irish headlines don't watch the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Meanwhile in the white house, Obama is taking this very seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

This is getting stranger by the day. Are we getting to the point where Ban Ki-moon is going to call a state of emergency?

Then why are you on this thread??

You are on the Internet, surely you can go elsewhere and read about Gaza, but yet you don't... you're here.

I'm always on the internet when I watch the TV! RTE showed his press conference. There was no need to then show the exact same thing (and more) again ten minutes later.

Get off ya soapbox there, wishing to be taller hasn't made it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fryup wrote: »
    Meanwhile in the white house, Obama is taking this very seriously

That's being generous...

Seems as everyone is plugging their Garth Brooks support band I might as well too.

If this doesn't go ahead my supporting act Farth Fooks will happily step in. We're the most explosive act in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

At this stage brooks should be told to f-off,bring in slayer or megadeth to play for 5 nights....leave croke park in rubble!

Ranchu wrote: »
    This is getting stranger by the day. Are we getting to the point where Ban Ki-moon is going to call a state of emergency?

Yes. But let me say this once again - my cover band, who are thugs who attend the Pamplona Bull Festival but are very slow runners, Gored Brutes, will be happy to perform. (Okay I´ll stop now. The puns weren´t even my idea).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tarzana wrote: »
    Now, a question for you. Can you show how most residents are for the concerts, as you have claimed many times? Yeah, there's some dodgy stuff going on on the resident's side but that doesn't mean most want the concert to happen or are indifferent.

How about this then... most residents aren't that bothered by the idea of it going ahead.

How many people lodged objections with the council? How many are actually represented by the residents associations (regularly attend their meetings etc)?

It's a very very small minority that are voicing their opposition to it... whichever way you want to paint it.

Obama won't step in because he's planning on performing the gigs himself. If brooks decides to do them he'll be abducted and bio-duplicated. (Along with president Clin-ton)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6OiEb6wBc5E/R-Azmuc9qMI/AAAAAAAAABs/dydFgZf_x1c/s400/Barack-Obama-photoshophat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Seems as everyone is plugging their Garth Brooks support band I might as well too.

If this doesn't go ahead my supporting act Farth Fooks will happily step in. We're the most explosive act in town.

Sorry but Gare de Bruxelles is the clear winner

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Does anyone else here remember the Boomtown Rats "return to Ireland" gig in 1979, when they were due to play the RDS, except the residents objected, and then everywhere they tried in Dublin the residents did the same (we´ll have none of that foreign new wave nonsense here), and all of us who had bought tickets had to listen to Radio Dublin 253 to find out if the concert was going ahead, and at the last minute the guy who owned Leixlip Castle offered it as a venue, and CIE put on buses from the quays so we could all actually find out where Leixlip was, and it was a brilliant concert? Just wondering.
    I bet it wasn't held on a Monday though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Surely all the cover band gig offers should be in Bargain Alerts??

How do you know the majority want this to go ahead?

Only 43 Percent of the 14,000 people who cared enough to vote in this poll agreed with our glorious leader getting involved.

http://www.thejournal.ie/was-the-taoiseach-right-to-get-involved-with-garth-brooks-1563393-Jul2014/

If 43% said he should get involved I'd say they along with a good portion of the NO/other vote on that would have been in favor of the 5 nights.

The journal would also have a highly political viewership which is not comparable to your average joe living around CP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Mad world.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

P_1 wrote: »
    Sorry but Gare de Bruxelles is the clear winner

There are no winners here. :D

As the man himself said - he's the biggest loser of them all. "Anyone sad about this, you're not one billionth as sad as I am."

And the children of Gaza wipe away their tears.

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Ever heard of tyranny of the majority?
    Democracy isn't a black and white issue

whatever. i'm voting for putin in the next election. i hate the human race so much sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

That's the legislation I'm interested in reading up on. Do you have a link to it?

He has already been offered 4 nights, so if such a piece of legislation does exist.. one that says that under no circumstances can a decision be changed or appealed, then it has already been broken.

Allowing him to play 5 gigs at this stage wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to that. It's already been shown that decisions can be overturned or altered.

It'd be easier now just to allow him the five shows and change legislation so that it's concrete and concise and to ensure that such messing about cannot happen in future.

Someone linked it on the last thread, somewhere between post 2500 and 4000....

The 4 was apparently offered before the decision was formalised. It is that formal decision that cannot be changed. But in my opinion offering 4 before making a decision on 3 is very poor on behalf of dcc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

When the tickets went on sale there was all those stories about the trouble breaking out at the box office. There was a middle aged woman kicking people in the face, while singing 'I've got Friends in Low Places'. To be honest, concerning people like that, I'm glad the concerts were cancelled as she most likely would have made a terrible concert goer. She was probably a crazy one off, though. For the other people, it is sad for them, but Brooks comes off like a huge egomaniac throwing his weight around. If he were a bit more shrewd, and I'm not endorsing this, but he'd just accept the three and let the Croke Park residents take the heat for keeping the number down.

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed, but why not Slane or Malahide, or anywhere? Brooks could probably tour and pack out every GAA stadium and open field that would have him, in Ireland, for months if he wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Repeat

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What needs to happen now is a complete ban on the sale or pre-booking of tickets for concerts or events or festivals where full licenses and permissions required have not been granted.
    fullstop wrote: »
    No, it's a disgrace for Aiken promotions, selling tickets to concerts they didn't have a licence for. The blame lies with them and nobody else...well maybe Brooks for throwing his toys out of the pram as well.
    It's standard practice to sell tikets 'subject to license'. That's just the way the system works in Ireland. The blame lies with the Croke Park residents and the kiljoys in DCC. This is a major embarrassment for the country and I feel sorry for all those who were looking forward to the gig.
    ^
    It shouldn't be "standard practice"-- how did that ever become the case anyway? They did the same thing for the Phoenix Park concerts. What's the point in having a planning application for something that's already done? I am glad this should put an end to promoters thinking they could just go ahead and DCC letting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

How about this then... most residents aren't that bothered by the idea of it going ahead.

How many people lodged objections with the council? How many are actually represented by the residents associations (regularly attend their meetings etc)?

It's a very very small minority that are voicing their opposition to it... whichever way you want to paint it.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a close relation living 200m from Croke Park. She was against the concerts but didn't object because she figured there'd be no point, that was how little faith she had in the resident's ability to stop any of the concerts. And, going by the ridiculous furore around it, she was probably right. How many more residents felt this way? You can't possibly say that most residents are OK with it and don't care.

Kalyke wrote: »
    Surely all the cover band gig offers should be in Bargain Alerts??

Absolutely. Now I´m going to be deadly serious - there´s a mint to be made by anyone who can look vaguely like Garth Himself, play a gee-tar, and whack out a few of his songs. Tour the country and play in every ballroom, clean up. A market of 320,000 disappointed stetson-toting folk out there ready to sing along, and each pay a fraction of the Croke Park ticket price. Ten euro a ticket, subtract overheads, that´s...the price of a three-bed semi on the Dart Line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Muise... wrote: »
    As the man himself said - he's the biggest loser of them all. "Anyone sad about this, you're not one billionth as sad as I am"

The guy was just trying articulate that he was disappointed with what happened. Lets just gloss over the fact that he said he is willing to fly over here during the week, or do whatever he can to make the five concerts happen. He also made it clear that he has always spoke well of the country and these are not empty words, as he has said it for years and dedicated a DVD in his boxset to Ireland and the two concerts back in '97.

But I guess it's not exactly the done thing to be believing what a country and western singer says. So lets just insinuate he's fake and doesn't mean a word of what he says.

Big greedy, no talent, money grabber!

Do I look cool and edgy yet??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Just heard the dreadful Mary Wilson attempting to interview Catriona Perry about what went on at the Garth Brooks conference... Didnt garner much from it, mostly because of Mary Wilson's incessant interruptions.. But it is clear that Brooks wont be playing 2 gigs "later", that's what his management says anyway...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement