Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

5 concerts in 3 days is the decision!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

briany wrote: »
    When the tickets went on sale there was all those stories about the trouble breaking out at the box office. There was a middle aged woman kicking people in the face, while singing 'I've got Friends in Low Places'. To be honest, concerning people like that, I'm glad the concerts were cancelled as she most likely would have made a terrible concert goer. She was probably a crazy one off, though. For the other people, it is sad for them, but Brooks comes off like a huge egomaniac throwing his weight around. If he were a bit more shrewd, and I'm not endorsing this, but he'd just accept the three and let the Croke Park residents take the heat for keeping the number down.

Also, and I'm sure this has been discussed, but why not Slane or Malahide, or anywhere? Brooks could probably tour and pack out every GAA stadium and open field that would have him, in Ireland, for months if he wanted to.

the stage is custom built for croke park and wouldn't work anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

5 concerts in 3 days is the decision!!

Says who?

Absolutely. Now I´m going to be deadly serious - there´s a mint to be made by anyone who can look vaguely like Garth Himself, play a gee-tar, and whack out a few of his songs. Tour the country and play in every ballroom, clean up. A market of 320,000 disappointed stetson-toting folk out there ready to sing along, and each pay a fraction of the Croke Park ticket price. Ten euro a ticket, subtract overheads, that´s...the price of a three-bed semi on the Dart Line.

then sell the house in 10 years time for double the price and put all the money on red. Such an easy way to get rich.

Smidge wrote: »
    Says who?

Thats the DCC decision being reported by RTE and the Independent!

All 5 can go ahead if two are played as matinees on Sat and Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Someone linked it on the last thread, somewhere between post 2500 and 4000....

The 4 was apparently offered before the decision was formalised. It is that formal decision that cannot be changed. But in my opinion offering 4 before making a decision on 3 is very poor on behalf of dcc.

4 was not offered, the council said they would go back and speak to their planning department about the possibility of 4. This was the council trying to compromise but Brooks said Feck off so the council did not go back to the planning department

Smidge wrote: »
    Says who?

was just announced...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

The guy was just trying articulate that he was disappointed with what happened. Lets just gloss over the fact that he said he is willing to fly over here during the week, or do whatever he can to make the five concerts happen. He also made it clear that he has always spoke well of the country and these are not empty words, as he has said it for years and dedicated a DVD in his boxset to Ireland and the two concerts back in '97.

But I guess it's not exactly the done thing to be believing what a country and western singer says. So lets just insinuate he's fake and doesn't mean a word of what he says. Big greedy money grabber!

Do I look cool and edgy yet??

I think he's gone and played his last card - I will be mortified if any State official meets him or even thinks about sidestepping the rules for him. I'm sure he was trying to articulate that he was disappointed, but since C&W singers like to lay on the schmalz in their lyrics, I'll leave him off. I don't insinuate he's fake; I'm saying he's a gobsh1ite for trying to blackmail a whole city - and now country - with his adoring fans, on behalf of an arrogant promoter who should have known better.

I think you need a side fringe - hipster, and it will balance that chip on your shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Do I look cool and edgy yet??

No. You're repeating yourself over and over in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

http://www.thejournal.ie/all-five-garth-brooks-gigs-concerts-back-on-croke-park-1564244-Jul2014/

So.. if what people have been saying is true, that it would be illegal for the decision to be amended, then who is going to get locked up for doing so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

In case anyone missed it, RTE have collated the "some of the more humorous reactions" to the Garth Brooks debacle on Twitter.

Hold on to your sides - they might just split!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0708/629397-funny-reactions-to-garth-brooks-debacle/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The guy was just trying articulate that he was disappointed with what happened. Lets just gloss over the fact that he said he is willing to fly over here during the week, or do whatever he can to make the five concerts happen. He also made it clear that he has always spoke well of the country and these are not empty words, as he has said it for years and dedicated a DVD in his boxset to Ireland and the two concerts back in '97.

Why would he need to fly? He can walk on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What about all the people who will have to incur the extra costs of changing their plans for the 2 extra shows. Will Brooks reimburse them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Absolutely ludicrous to propose 5 concerts over 3 days.

It's not Dysney on Ice.

The country had to make an absolute show of itself for gombeens in the DCC to come up with that proposal at the very last minute and it's probably something that they robbed from another gombeen in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

muddypaws wrote: »
    Why would he need to fly? He can walk on water.

You're thinking of Owen Keegan. He's the new messiah isn't he.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

Tarzana wrote: »
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have a close relation living 200m from Croke Park. She was against the concerts but didn't object because she figured there'd be no point, that was how little faith she had in the resident's ability to stop any of the concerts. And, going by the ridiculous furore around it, she was probably right. How many more residents felt this way? You can't possibly say that most residents are OK with it and don't care.

I had obnoxious neighbours for years, they used to play loud crap music most night till four in the morning. I bought ear-plugs, and those ear-yokes they wear when they´re jack-hammering the road, for me and the kids and put up with it till they left. Five nights of music in your locality, finishing before 11pm, is a bit of a First World problem, especially if you are lucky enough to live in the centre of our Cultural Metropolois, within easy walking distance of museums, theatres, galleries, the Concert Hall, and all other amenities to help you relax after involuntarily hearing C&W music. Then an easy stroll to grab a fresh Latté or Cappucino (or any of those other things that are actually coffee) on the way home. It´s called "living in the city centre". Get lives people. Meanwhile I don´t care about our International Reputation, we destroyed what little we had long before Mr. Brooks ever helped us, this is all just a tiny amusing aside to any outside observer more properly concerned with real-life issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

What about all the people who will have to incur the extra costs of changing their plans for the 2 extra shows. Will Brooks reimburse them?

No, we'll just get 50 million MORE into the economy. Oh happy day!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No matter what he did, he would have been vilified. It was and is a no win situation.

He stuck to his guns though and what he is doing the ONLY way that there is a chance the 400,000 will all get their concerts.
    He could have come out of this a lot better. The original cringeworthy "sophies choice" comment was truly sickening.
    To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another.

He was not asked to choose anything, he was told which were off. At least later on he in effect retracted this by saying he could not turn a profit on anything less than 5, or more likely could not get a profit he was happy with. I find it hard to believe he could not have profited if he accepted the 4.

I would have had far more respect if he just came out and admitted this at the start. It also would not have built up peoples hopes that the 3 might go ahead.

He did not want to play for the 240,000 and say tough crap to the 160,000.

He wants to play concerts for ALL the 400,000!!!
    In total, 400,000 tickets were sold for approximately €28,600,000

There were seemingly 160,000 on the last 2 nights, lets say 80,000 each night. So if he did the 4 nights offered it would have been 320,000

He did not want to play for €22,880,000 in ticket sales

He wants €28,600,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

The decision is 5 concerts in 3 days. 2 of them will have to be matinee starting around 12pm I'd imagine. Absolute farce. I can see everybody turning up for the night ones and there being trouble as won't be enough room for everybody. Things could get nasty. No way would I pay the same money for a matinee concert as a night one. Absolute muppets in this country.

Ha ha ha!

I wonder how long it would take me to find all the posts by people telling me this wouldn't happen and no way can all 5 go ahead and no way will this decision be changed etc etc.

The funny thing is this has to be worse from a disruptive point of view than the 5 in 5 days!
    I can see everybody turning up for the night ones and there being trouble as won't be enough room for everybody.

It will be quite simple really, Saturday early will only be available to people with Monday tickets and Sunday early show only for people with Tuesday tickets. If its made very clear then people will only go to the show they have a ticket for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Let me say this once again - if Garth Brooks doesn't play, my catering company, Barf Cooks, will happy to turn up and make liver and tripe for everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Ha ha ha!

I wonder how long it would take me to find all the posts by people telling me this wouldn't happen and no way can all 5 go ahead and no way will this decision be changed etc etc.
    Fire ahead - just remember all your posts are public as well and contain some doozies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I'll be turning up for the night concert regardless of what the announcement is. As will thousands more I'd imagine. Gonna be chaos. Just let the 5 f*cking nights go ahead at this stage . Everyone is sick hearing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Thats the DCC decision being reported by RTE and the Independent!

All 5 can go ahead if two are played as matinees on Sat and Sunday!

How will that work?

Wouldn't you have an extra 80,000 people on saturday and sunday in Dublin?

Can Dublin handle that? Accommodation, flights, brought forward to the weekend.

Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Garth still needs to ok the deal. It seemed pretty clear that he ruled out matinees during his presser earlier also... Weird "solution"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    the stage is custom built for croke park and wouldn't work anywhere else.

Scaffolding works anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How will a matinee in a separate week facilitate 'everybody' to see the gig?

An awful lot of people won't be able to rearrange and Garth's heart won't get fixed. :(

And why is Aiken agreeing to something Garth says he won't do?
    Curious and curiouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Is it just me or are matinee performances followed by evening performances THE WORST IDEA EVER FOR ALL CONCERNED. 80000 people trying to get out of the area while another 80000 are trying to get in. Recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Garth still needs to ok the deal. It seemed pretty clear that he ruled out matinees during his presser earlier also... Weird "solution"

It's bizarre. After all the talk about how it would be impossible and indeed 'illegal' to reverse the decision to only allow 3 concerts.

Why they don't just offer him the 5 nights at this stage is beyond me. They're looking like bigger clowns with each hour that passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I thought Garth himself proposed the matinees last week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement