Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

especially if you are lucky enough to live in the centre of our Cultural Metropolois.

I see what you did there, that's funny alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I can't do the weekend. Completely un-rescheduleable work commitments. I'm sure theres plenty others in the same boat. I'll still be looking for a refund.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Fire ahead - just remember all your posts are public as well and contain some doozies ;)

And what difference do my posts make or what is said in them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I thought the DCC's decision cannot be amended.

One condition was no music before 6pm.

Why are they allowing to put two shows on and not the monday and tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Brooks says no to proposal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Muise... wrote: »
    No, we'll just get 50 million MORE into the economy. Oh happy day!

omg that is actually amazing if it comes to be. i'm not going to any of them and don't care for his music but i do care about our economy. I'd love if all the hillbilly's had to boost our economy even more.

so this is the governments plan to get us out of recession. they will employ him for the whole summer next year. His world tour will actually just be a tour of ireland for 365 nights of the year. we're saved. no need to get our bond money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's bizarre. After all the talk about how it would be impossible and indeed 'illegal' to reverse the decision to only allow 3 concerts.

Why they don't just offer him the 5 nights at this stage is beyond me. They're looking like bigger clowns with each hour that passes.

Not sure if you are being deliberatley dense but the DCC seem to be pointing out that what they are proposing is within the constraints on them
    Under the proposal the City Council will consider an updated Event Management Plan, to be submitted in accordance with the Licence,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

An emergency meeting and 5 shows in 3 days is what they come up with??

160,000 people around Croke Park during the day on a Saturday and Sunday.

I'd love to know who proposed this, probably the same person who thought they should contact the White House.

It makes absolutely no sense and in my eyes I don't believe there was ever a will to have these 5 concerts if that is what they are proposing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

rubadub wrote: »
    There were seemingly 160,000 on the last 2 nights, lets say 80,000 each night. So if he did the 4 nights offered it would have been 320,000

That would have been worse again. Then you are just cancelling one concert for tokenism sake. What is the point of that? If concerts are being refused licences because of planning restrictions / resident agreements , how does allowing four make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I for one wouldn't like to be going to the second show of the day. Knackered sweaty country singer! Ugh! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So what happens to the folk who have tickets to a matinee and an evening show now? Do they just stay in their seats between the shows or do they get an enforced stroll about Dublin 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Seems like the fairest solution - all five concerts but only three days of disruption.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Time for The Dail to grant Big Phil the power I'm afraid.
    DCC have just made themselves a laughing stock with that proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I for one wouldn't like to be going to the second show of the day. Knackered sweaty country singer! Ugh! :eek:

I am sure even he has heard of a shower and he will be in the best hotel suite that weekend for his 40 winks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

How will that work?

Wouldn't you have an extra 80,000 people on saturday and sunday in Dublin?

Can Dublin handle that? Accommodation, flights, brought forward to the weekend.

Nightmare

Look I know I keep harping on about the 1970´s Boomtown Rats gigs and stuff (the ´70´s were a blast, you had to be there, it was grey, we were poor but happy, etc. etc.), remember the Pope (not the friendly current guy, a former Polish dude) did a gig in the Phoenix Park and there were over a million people there. And then he did I think four more gigs around the country, including one in Galway to young people, who didn´t wreck the place and bottle each other on the beaches. Come to think of it- did the promoters get planning permission?

vitani wrote: »
    Seems like the fairest solution - all five concerts but only three days of disruption.

It's the same amount of disruption condensed into 3 days which is a recipe for disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Is it just me or are matinee performances followed by evening performances THE WORST IDEA EVER FOR ALL CONCERNED. 80000 people trying to get out of the area while another 80000 are trying to get in. Recipe for disaster.

Particularly if the 80,000 leaving the matinee are line dancing as they leave Croke Park..

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Light show wouldn't work for the early set, seems a nonsense solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

It's the same amount of disruption condensed into 3 days which is a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention the fact that I guarantee thousands will turn up for the night performance instead of the matinee. Trouble guaranteed. DCC are a shower of morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Seems like a compromise to me, Brooks says he wants to play to 400k people over 5 shows. The council offer that and Garth throws his toys out of the pram (again!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Is it just me or are matinee performances followed by evening performances THE WORST IDEA EVER FOR ALL CONCERNED. 80000 people trying to get out of the area while another 80000 are trying to get in. Recipe for disaster.

This could lead to serious safety concerns for concert goers. Could you imagine some sort of communication brakedown that leads to people getting crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Five shows over three days will never happen. No way and nor should it.

Much better to just have the five in a row, or move the last two nights to the following Fri and Sat.

Times article saying it's a no go anyway. Bloody hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not sure if you are being deliberatley dense but the DCC seem to be pointing out that what they are proposing is within the constraints on them

Up until an hour ago they were saying it would be impossible and illegal to alter the decision whatsoever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The level of stupidity around this is insane.

5 days down to 3... whoever came up with that should be fired immediately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

vitani wrote: »

Maybe if he started at 6.00 a.m. he could get the five done in the one day.
    Ridiculous "solution"

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

The proposal came from aiken, DCC only saying fair enough!

Following a meeting this morning between Peter Aiken of Aiken Promotions and Owen Keegan, Chief Executive of Dublin City Council, the City Council has agreed to a proposal from Aiken Promotions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

News just in: CB radios are tipped to be this year's must have gadget.

Yee Haw.

Seems like a compromise to me, Brooks says he wants to play to 400k people over 5 shows. The council offer that and Garth throws his toys out of the pram (again!)

It's not a compromise. It's a farce of a proposal that actually doesn't make sense on any level.

80,000 out of Croker and 80,000 into Croker in 2/3 hours. From a logistics point of view alone is absolutely absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

All bars in the area would have to close for this to work

160k people is complete stupidity and not safe at all

I've worked in the area and 80k is bad enough as it is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Five shows over three days will never happen. No way and nor should it.

Much better to just have the five in a row, or move the last two nights to the following Fri and Sat.
    or the previous Wednesday and Thursday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement