Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It's not a compromise

Maybe you should look up the word compromise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Captain Scarlet

News just in: CB radios are tipped to be this year's must have gadget.

Yee Haw.

That´s Big Ten Four, Rubber Duck.

But let me say this - if he doesn´t play, my cover band, made up of U.S. Security Personnel infiltrating the former Iraqi ruling party, Ba´ath Gooks, will play five nights running in Baghdad. Screw your planning permission.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    "and if I press this button General will the Croke Park problem go away"

"Yes Mr. President, but I have to caution you Moneygall may suffer some collateral damage"

"Well General, That's a risk I'm prepared to take"

"Five concerts in three days General, How do we respond"

"Mr. President it's still not too late to press that button. The ship has not entered Irish waters"
    "Thanks General hopefully Phil Hogan hasn't left for Brussells yet.
    If we can take him out as well it will be an added bonus"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Look I know I keep harping on about the 1970´s Boomtown Rats gigs and stuff (the ´70´s were a blast, you had to be there, it was grey, we were poor but happy, etc. etc.), remember the Pope (not the friendly current guy, a former Polish dude) did a gig in the Phoenix Park and there were over a million people there. And then he did I think four more gigs around the country, including one in Galway to young people, who didn´t wreck the place and bottle each other on the beaches. Come to think of it- did the promoters get planning permission?

Wine was being served and they had no licence. John Paul was bombing around the country in a helicopter, and there wasn't a shred of insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭cena

Seen on Facebook the concerts are going ahead. Posted by a show from 98fm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Wow. The latest proposal is staggeringly stupid on the part of DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Just when you thought things couldn't get any more farcical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Holsten wrote: »
    The level of stupidity around this is insane.5 days down to 3... whoever came up with that should be fired immediately.

Could you imagine if somebody asked the Dublin City Council employees to do 5 days work in 3 days... The union would be out on strike...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I think that it's about 13 years since his last album - can he still sing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Wow. The latest proposal is staggeringly stupid on the part of DCC.

The residents wont have time between shows to clean up their gardens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Today has to have been to most bizarre day since this whole debacle begun.

I'm lost for words.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Croke Park brings the city to it's knees at the best of times when there is a large event there, can you imagine what it is going to be like with 80,000 people going there and 80,000 people leaving all at once, all on foot or on the roads. We're going to see gridlock on a huge scale.

Also be interesting to see what is going to happen with hotels and flights! This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard, far worse than the original plan despite all it's flaws. It's clearly now we're just talking about running the concerts by any means possible, to hell if it's actually practical or not, and this idea certainly is not bloody practical, it's going to create even more disruption!

I also can see it causing serious safety issues also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

@gavreilly
    Taoiseach reveals that, he would be one of the Garth Brooks ticketholders losing out

So that's why our government are trying to get involved. Vested interests and all that. Embarrassing.

Could you imagine if somebody asked the Dublin City Council employees to do 5 days work in 3 days... The union would be out on strike...

Brooks will be getting paid 5 days for working 3 days

Heads need to roll in DCC over this fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

News just in: CB radios are tipped to be this year's must have gadget. Yee Haw.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ah, breaker one-nine, this heres the rubber duck. you gotta copy on me, pig pen, cmon?
    ah, yeah, 10-4, pig pen, fer shure, fer shure. by golly, its clean clear to Dublin town, cmon.
    yeah, that Big 10-4 there, pig pen, yeah, we definitely got the front door, mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a 160,000 commuter convoy... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

There has been a lot of talk about compromise over the past few days with the latest proposal being five concerts on three days. This is now being rejected on forums such as this........the next step then to appease the concert goers is for the five concerts on the five nights as per the tickets sold........ does compromise just work one way ?

If it suits me....to hell with anyone else attitude seems to be alive and well in this little country of ours......sad really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Jesus would he be able for 5 shows in 3 days? He's not young and I think you'd want to be at your finest to manage all that leaping and roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Brooks will be getting paid 5 days for working 3 days

24 hours work over 2 days and 24 hours work over 4 days is still 24 hours work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

devnull wrote: »
    Croke Park brings the city to it's knees at the best of times when there is a large event there, can you imagine what it is going to be like with 80,000 people going there and 80,000 people leaving all at once, all on foot or on the roads. We're going to see gridlock on a huge scale.

Also be interesting to see what is going to happen with hotels and flights! This is the dumbest idea I've ever heard, far worse than the original plan despite all it's flaws. It's clearly now we're just talking about running the concerts by any means possible, to hell if it's actually practical or not, and this idea certainly is not bloody practical, it's going to create even more disruption!

I also can see it causing serious safety issues also.

i'd love it. i think it's great when the people take back the city. i'd actually go up for the banter if they squeezed 2 into the 1 day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

All the bus drivers, busing it up and down the country all day. I pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

According to this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/ there will be a matinee show from 2pm to 6pm and an evening show from 8pm to 11pm. What cretin thought this would be a good idea? How in the name of f*ck could the crowd be controlled? Apparently the Gardaí have given it the go ahead as well! The mind boggles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    i'd love it. i think it's great when the people take back the city. i'd actually go up for the banter if they squeezed 2 into the 1 day.

You wouldn't love it if you got involved in some accident or incident because there is far more people in place than the city can cope with.

The Garda should hang their head in shame if they have really approved this.

24 hours work over 2 days and 24 hours work over 4 days is still 24 hours work.

Tell that to CountyHurler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Rasheed wrote: »
    Jesus would he be able for 5 shows in 3 days? He's not young and I think you'd want to be at your finest to manage all that leaping and roaring.

Coke and hookers. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

thelad95 wrote: »
    According to this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/ there will be a matinee show from 2pm to 6pm and an evening show from 8pm to 11pm. What cretin thought this would be a good idea? How in the name of f*ck could the crowd be controlled? Apparently the Gardaí have given it the go ahead as well! The mind boggles.

What cretin thought of it? Aiken of course. The same Aiken who started the whole shambles.

thelad95 wrote: »

This has to be a joke. Again I will say, if my night is scheduled to a matinee, I'll be turning up at the night show regardless demanding to be let in, as I'd imagine thousands more will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Up until an hour ago they were saying it would be impossible and illegal to alter the decision whatsoever :rolleyes:

I'd imagine that the the Event Management Plan is probably given for a particular day, so having two gigs on the one day keeps it within the law.
    It is quite obvious there is some legal constraints here...suggestions that Keegan is doing it for the craic or stubborness are ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭emo72

its the "End Of Days". the city will explode

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement