Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

It's all irrelevant anyway as he's said no to the proposal. Hopefully they'll tell him where to go now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

And to think I UNSUBBED this afternoon and missed this ! Boll1x 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This has to be a joke. Again I will say, if my night is scheduled to a matinee, I'll be turning up at the night show regardless demanding to be let in, as I'd imagine thousands more will.

Of course that will be the smart thing to do. You will be turned away and will have missed your show and still paid for your ticket though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

fta93 wrote: »
    What cretin thought of it? Aiken of course. The same Aiken who started the whole shambles.

Whatever about him thinking of it, who the F*ck approved it? 80000 people coming out at 6 o clock, 80000 need to get in over the next two hours simply not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

thelad95 wrote: »
    According to this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/ there will be a matinee show from 2pm to 6pm and an evening show from 8pm to 11pm. What cretin thought this would be a good idea? How in the name of f*ck could the crowd be controlled? Apparently the Gardaí have given it the go ahead as well! The mind boggles.

AGS will obviously give it the go ahead because it means more money for them. The actual Gardaí on the ground only get one third of what the government charges the promoter for them, and that's before they get taxed on it. It'll likely turn out like the Queens visit where Gardaí are left standing for 12 hours straight with no breaks and come out with less than a days pay. Not only that but the reserves will be out in numbers getting no pay but still being charged for. Personally I don't think the force would be able to police 160,000 people in the city at one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I can see the riot squad baton charging Biddy from Mullingar to get her out before the night show. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

The more I think about the proposal, the more absurd it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the the Event Management Plan is probably given for a particular day, so having two gigs on the one day keeps it within the law.
    It is quite obvious there is some legal constraints here...suggestions that Keegan is doing it for the craic or stubborness are ridiculous.

I don't think he's doing for the craic or because of stubbornness. I think he's doing it because he hasn't got a bull's fcuking notion of what to be at. He's a law unto himself.

This has to be a joke. Again I will say, if my night is scheduled to a matinee, I'll be turning up at the night show regardless demanding to be let in, as I'd imagine thousands more will.

It's attitudes like yours that have created this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

dodzy wrote: »
    And to think I UNSUBBED this afternoon and missed this ! Boll1x ��

Look, just go ahead and allow yourself to read through the thread.. And when you've had a good time and it's all over, then sit down and work out a way so this doesnt happen again..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

This.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

bear1 wrote: »

Of course he has. Whoever thought a singer would be able to perform 2 stadium concerts within the space of 8 hours needed their heads examined. Not to mention the crowd congestion

It's all irrelevant anyway as he's said no to the proposal. Hopefully they'll tell him where to go now

It's hardly surprising, as one of the posters most strongly in favour of the gigs even I think this proposal is ridiculous, it's 100 times more disruptive than the original plan and also a massive ask on a performer to do two shows of this scale in one day and two it twice in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

According to this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/ there will be a matinee show from 2pm to 6pm and an evening show from 8pm to 11pm. What cretin thought this would be a good idea? How in the name of f*ck could the crowd be controlled? Apparently the Gardaí have given it the go ahead as well! The mind boggles.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem. 160,000 people in one small part of Dublin on one day sounds like a recipe for chaos. Matinee performances are usually reserved for much smaller indoor gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I would say that if you put that nonsense to the residents, they would prefer the five nights in a row.

Better to be locked in five nights in a row and have some sort of normality during those days, than three days of non-stop lock downs where they won't get a moment's normality, let alone hours of it.

One thing for Brooks to suggest it while thinking out loud, shows the will to satisfy the 400,000 but quite another for someone to actually think this is feasible and plan it out.

Farcical. DCC proposal no doubt.

It's hardly surprising, as one of the posters most strongly in favour of the gigs even I think this proposal is ridiculous, it's 10 times more disruptive than the original plan and also a massive ask on a performer to do two shows of this scale in one day and two it twice in a row.

Well your seemingly spiteful "haha" post looks a tad premature then, don't you think?

So that's it then? Game over? They're not budging on the five days it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

It's attitudes like yours that have created this mess.

Explain how my attitude has created this mess? What an absurd comment to make. I'm simply not accepting a sub standard matinee show when I paid for the real deal. Brooks has said the show is not designed for daytime.

• Advertisement

Now DCC, grow some balls and tell him to feck off

Farcical. DCC proposal no doubt.

Nope, the real chancer in all this... Aitken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I don't think he's doing for the craic or because of stubbornness. I think he's doing it because he hasn't got a bull's fcuking notion of what to be at. He's a law unto himself.

In fairness, whatever you think of the original grant of licence, it is plainly obvious that 5 cannot be legally granted by DCC. Would have been done by now if they where able.

Of course he has. Whoever thought a singer would be able to perform 2 stadium concerts within the space of 8 hours needed their heads examined. Not to mention the crowd congestion

They are stupid... it should 5 concerts on the 1 day IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

bear1 wrote: »

lol.. this just keeps on rolling... I'd say it will beat Fair City to next year's IFTA..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Do not swallow, like Enda's gonna do.

Oh no. Enda blowing Garth isn't part of the big face save is it?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, and the pressure on the facilities etc and public transport as well as on those in charge of crowd control would be colossal.....it would be like trying to hold two World Cup finals in the same arena this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It's hardly surprising, as one of the posters most strongly in favour of the gigs even I think this proposal is ridiculous, it's 100 times more disruptive than the original plan and also a massive ask on a performer to do two shows of this scale in one day and two it twice in a row.

He has no problem doing 2 shows a day over multiple days in Vegas.

He asked for 5 shows or none - the DCC have agreed this with the promoters. Be careful what you ask for.

Tell me where the compromise is - every time it's put to him he says no, he wants one 5 shows over 5 nights or nothing - there is no room for compromise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Nope, the real chancer in all this... Aitken

Know him personally do you? Do tell oh great one full of wisdom.

• Advertisement

lol.. this just keeps on rolling... I'd say it will beat Fair City to next year's IFTA..

I think now is a good time for Ireland to bid for the World Cup...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement