Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Explain how my attitude has created this mess? What an absurd comment to make. I'm simply not accepting a sub standard matinee show when I paid for the real deal. Brooks has said the show is not designed for daytime.

Stubbornness and a complete inability to compromise from Brooks, the residents, Peter Aiken, DCC and now concert-goers themselves.

The matinee idea has been killed pretty quickly anyway so don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

bear1 wrote: »
    I think now is a good time for Ireland to bid for the World Cup...

If the residents had a fit at the thought of Garth Brooks fans imagine what they'll do if they hear football fans are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

thelad95 wrote: »
    It's attitudes like yours that have created this mess.

Think about it for a second. How else are they going to work it?

Tickets have been sold for each day, so there is nothing to stop people from turning up on any one of those days to attend the later show.

How are they to decide who to let in and who to turn away?

I'd say most people with tickets would rather attend the evening show

This proposal makes about as much sense as selling tickets before any licence has been granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think it's quite clear he's just not interested in doing the gigs. Which is sad really, I was looking forward to going and as angry as I was earlier, when I was watching the broadcast I realized I did actually want to see the concert but hey ho. I don't think they'll go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

I think now is a good time for Ireland to bid for the World Cup of Tiddlywinks

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Ace2007 wrote: »
    He has no problem doing 2 shows a day over multiple days in Vegas.

He asked for 5 shows or none - the DCC have agreed this with the promoters. Be careful what you ask for.

Tell me where the compromise is - every time it's put to him he says no, he wants one 5 shows over 5 nights or nothing - there is no room for compromise there.

His shows in Vegas were in the Wynn hotel, I've stayed there.

It was in the concert venue which holds around 3,000 and has a small stage.

Quite different to a stadium of 80,000 people with a massive custom built stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Tickets have been sold for each day, so there is nothing to stop people from turning up on any one of those days to attend the later show.

Tickets got barcodes - which are all recorded, therefore would be pretty easy to know which tickets are for each show - by announcing it beforehand.

Or as you say people can turn up on Monday or Tuesday night if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

This nonsense han't been thought through at all. Where are all these people gonna stay. The city was booked out and now you have double the number looking accommodation on two of the days? 2 hour turnaround for the show? Jaysus you'd be getting a seriously lack lustre 2nd show unlesss he get a Springsteen tranfusion and the show doesn't pass or fail on just his input.

Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the idea is close to unworkable myself. 160,000 people people in one place on the one day is a gigantic number of people....that's well more than 10% of the entire population of County Dublin (and this would be on two consecutive days)

His shows in Vegas were in the Wynn hotel, I've stayed there.

It was in the concert venue which holds around 3,000 and has a small stage.

Quite different to a stadium of 80,000 people with a massive custom built stage.

are you saying that he treats his fans in Vegas differently to his fans in Dublin - He wouldn't agree with you - all fans treated the same so he says - therefore the performance would be equally as good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Didn't he say in his press conference that if it came down to that he would do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He has no problem doing 2 shows a day over multiple days in Vegas.

He asked for 5 shows or none - the DCC have agreed this with the promoters. Be careful what you ask for.

Tell me where the compromise is - every time it's put to him he says no, he wants one 5 shows over 5 nights or nothing - there is no room for compromise there.

His Vegas shows are exactly that not concerts big difference. In the Vegas shows he tells his life story with a few lines of a song here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This proposal makes about as much sense as selling tickets before any licence has been granted.

Sorry I am not following

Person 1 has a ticket for Friday night and decides they would prefer to go Saturday night and demand entry

Person 2 has a ticket for Monday night and is offered a refund because of a change in date / time to Saturday afternoon. Says feck that I am going to the Saturday night gig and demands entry

Do you often demand entry to a show you have no valid ticket for?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

This "issue" sums up the incredible stupidity of this state.
    Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

are you saying that he treats his fans in Vegas differently to his fans in Dublin - He wouldn't agree with you - all fans treated the same so he says - therefore the performance would be equally as good.

I'm saying your not comparing like with like.

You obviously don't get out much, open your kitchen window and see a bit of the world like a good girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

It's not just the State that is acting stupid now to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This "issue" sums up the incredible stupidity of this state.
    Morons.

The politicians getting involved, or the mad yokes wanting Obama involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Maphisto wrote: »
    Oh no. Enda blowing Garth isn't part of the big face save is it?:o

It's part of the terms and conditions according to Big G..:D

Happyman42 wrote: »
    This nonsense han't been thought through at all. Where are all these people gonna stay. The city was booked out and now you have double the number looking accommodation on two of the days? 2 hour turnaround for the show? Jaysus you'd be getting a seriously lack lustre 2nd show unlesss he get a Springsteen tranfusion and the show doesn't pass or fail on just his input.

Crazy stuff

folk will have the option of heading home after the concert - save on the cost of staying over/eating out etc.

I love the way you guys are giving out to DCC for this. - why did the promotors agree with it or the Gardaí?

Happyman42 wrote: »

Crazy stuff

I said in an earlier post that it's an Irish solution to an Irish problem. Our laws are unmovable so we come up with a quite chaotic and insane solution instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd be really annoyed if I got forced into a matinee show, I'd want my money back.

A concert is a night out, not an afternoon out.

This is a real Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Am I the only one who's waiting on a definite go ahead , just to see how quick tickets will pop back up on done deal and adverts for outrageous prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

thelad95 wrote: »
    According to this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0710/629717-garth-brooks/ there will be a matinee show from 2pm to 6pm and an evening show from 8pm to 11pm. What cretin thought this would be a good idea? How in the name of f*ck could the crowd be controlled? Apparently the Gardaí have given it the go ahead as well! The mind boggles.

This is just ridiculous! If the matinee ends at 6pm, you need at least an hour to get 80,000 people out of Croker.

So what? Then exactly an hour later - at 7pm, you open the gates to let another 80,000 people in...??? You can't have 160,000 people milling around Ballybough! There isn't room!!!

Plus Garth will be in bits after doing his show on the Friday, few hours kip, soundcheck, do anther show, grab some food, do the night time show, few hours kip again and do it all over again TWICE, the following day???? No way!! The man ain't no spring chicken - that'd kill him! Plus the later shows would have to suffer due to the man being just pure knackered!

Garth said in his press conference that he wouldn't do matinees because the shows wouldn't be as good as they can possibly be and he probably wouldn't have the stamina for them. Did DCC and Aiken really not have anyone watching the press conference so they could relay this info back to them BEFORE they announced their "solution"

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

For anyone that missed it:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The matinees won't go ahead. Firstly, Brooks has said No. Secondly, despite the Gardaí approving it, security companies will have to be hired and no security company is going to be held liable for the safe movement of 160,000 people within a radius of a few km.

Well your seemingly spiteful "haha" post looks a tad premature then, don't you think?

That was in relation to DCC backing down (somewhat anyway) as opposed to meaning I thought the concerts would go ahead. Also the most spiteful people posting on this thread are the ones taking pleasure out of te cancellation and people's disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Oh no, not this cringey **** again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

So game over then.DCC and Ireland have bent over arseways (for reasons I cannot fathom) for GB and he still refuses to budge.

That was in relation to DCC backing down (somewhat anyway) as opposed to meaning I thought the concerts would go ahead. Also the most spiteful people posting on this thread are the ones taking pleasure out of te cancellation and people's disappointment.

So whats the compromise in your eyes.

Compromise means "an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions."

What concessions is GB willing to make?

• Advertisement

This is just ridiculous! If the matinee ends at 6pm, you need at least an hour to get 80,000 people out of Croker.

So what? Then exactly an hour later - at 7pm, you open the gates to let another 80,000 people in...??? You can't have 160,000 people milling around Ballybough! There isn't room!!!

Plus Garth will be in bits after doing his show on the Friday, few hours kip, soundcheck, do anther show, grab some food, do the night time show, few hours kip again and do it all over again TWICE, the following day???? No way!! The man ain't no spring chicken - that'd kill him! Plus the later shows would have to suffer due to the man being just pure knackered!

Garth said in his press conference that he wouldn't do matinees because the shows wouldn't be as good as they can possibly be and he probably wouldn't have the stamina for them. Did DCC and Aiken really not have anyone watching the press conference so they could relay this info back to them BEFORE they announced their "solution"

Jesus.

Can you imagine Rio trying to host two World Cups at the Maracana on Sunday with two completely different sets of fans and a fast turnaround between the two matches? It would be a recipe for absolute chaos.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement