Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sorry I am not following

Person 1 has a ticket for Friday night and decides they would prefer to go Saturday night and demand entry

Person 2 has a ticket for Monday night and is offered a refund because of a change in date / time to Saturday afternoon. Says feck that I am going to the Saturday night gig and demands entry

Do you often demand entry to a show you have no valid ticket for?

If I had flights, transport and accomodation booked for a particular night, and a ticket for a concert on the same night, then yes, I'd show up and chance my arm at getting in. As I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of people will do if this proposal is accepted.

It's a ridiculous 'compromise'.. utterly unworkable at this late stage. All it would achieve is to put even more people out and cause even bigger disruptions for residents.

Whoever came up with the idea should be publicly pelted with balls of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

What do you think about his announcement regarding the release of his music catalog digitally, under his terms? Do you think he'll restrict it to complete albums in order to preserve the intended listening experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ace2007 wrote: »
    folk will have the option of heading home after the concert -

Can you say that in a German accent?
    Option to head home....no fecking choice you mean, it'll be that or sleep in the streets. What about the 70,000 flying in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If I had flights, transport and accomodation booked for a particular night, and a ticket for a concert on the same night, then yes, I'd show up and chance my arm at getting in. As I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of people will do if this proposal is accepted.

It's a ridiculous 'compromise' utterly unworkable at this late stage. All it would achieve is to put even more people out and cause even bigger disruptions for residents.

So if you have a ticket for the Monday/Tuesday you'll still turn up on those nights and chance your arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

How could arrange travel in and out of dublin for 160000 people? I know if I was going (have tickets for sun night) the luas stations would be packed with the first 80000 people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd be really annoyed if I got forced into a matinee show, I'd want my money back. A concert is a night out, not an afternoon out. This is a real Irish solution to an Irish problem.

But what way was that meant to work.. Were they moving concerts 4 & 5 to Satuday Matinee and Sunday Matinee (respectively) or were they gonna run them in sequence? For the people making transport and accommodation plans, it really doesnt make any sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So you have a flight and accommodation booked for the Monday one and you'll turn up for the Sat or Sun one. How does that work?

So whats the compromise in your eyes.

Compromise means "an agreement or settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions."

What concessions is GB willing to make?

The only sensible thing and what should have been done from the very beginning is to grant 5 licences for 5 days, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

tazwaz wrote: »
    How could arrange travel in and out of dublin for 160000 people? I know if I was going (have tickets for sun night) the luas stations would be packed with the first 80000 people?

It would be insane and you would also have the issue of 80,000 trying to move in one direction and another 80,000 moving in the opposite direction....it would be akin to holding the All Ireland Hurling and Gaelic Football finals at Croker on the same day with two different sets of fans in the arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

yeah he really comes across as a total dick in the press conference....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The only sensible thing and what should have been done from the very beginning is to grant 5 licences for 5 days, simple as that.

But legally speaking that is not possible now. Therefore we are at this point.

Someone was banging on last night about Enda getting involved - he asked for people to meet today to discuss the issue and come up with a way for the 5 shows to go ahead - and this is what the DCC have done - the promotors have agreed as have the Gardaí.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I find myself hiding behind the couch and curtains with each set news reports and radio story on the whole farce.

It's like with each new story they are trying to outdo each other in terms of stupidness.

Today however reached an all time low. White House contacted, Mexican ambassador offering assistance. And then the DCC propose this.

Cringe worthy of the highest possible order. Thank fcuk I'm going on holidays next week because this bull$hit is going to rumble on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But legally speaking that is not possible now. Therefore we are at this point.

Someone was banging on last night about Enda getting involved - he asked for people to meet today to discuss the issue and come up with a way for the 5 shows to go ahead - and this is what the DCC have done - the promotors have agreed as have the Gardaí.

Be careful what you wish for.

Have the Gardai agreed? That's far from clear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Garth said in his press conference that he wouldn't do matinees because the shows wouldn't be as good as they can possibly be and he probably wouldn't have the stamina for them. Did DCC and Aiken really not have anyone watching the press conference so they could relay this info back to them BEFORE they announced their "solution"

Maybe DCC did have someone watching, they announce the compromise, knowing Garth won't go for it, but they have been shown to be willing to work on sorting it out, he is the guy in the black hat.

According to the DCC statement, that would be Peter Aiken

I find myself hiding behind the couch and curtains with each set news reports and radio story on the whole farce.

It's like with each new story they are trying to outdo each other in terms of stupidness.

Today however reached an all time low. White House contacted, Mexican ambassador offering assistance. And then the DCC propose this.

Cringe worthy of the highest possible order. Thank fcuk I'm going on holidays next week because this bull$hit is going to rumble on.

It is cringe worthy of the highest order

Btw, Aiken proposed the matinee shows

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Strazdas wrote: »
    Have the Gardai agreed? That's far from clear

"The council’s plan, which had also been agreed with gardaí, would have seen the concerts go ahead as planned on Friday July 25th, Saturday July 26th and Sunday July 27th with matinees on the last two days. This would still comply with the terms of the council’s licence."

From the Irish Times

muddypaws wrote: »
    Maybe DCC did have someone watching, they announce the compromise, knowing Garth won't go for it, but they have been shown to be willing to work on sorting it out, he is the guy in the black hat.

According to the DCC statement, that would be Peter Aiken

I find it hard to believe that Aiken came up with it and then immediately after it was released he said he was skeptical that Brooks would agree.

It is cringe worthy of the highest order

Btw, Aiken proposed the matinee shows

That remains to be seen. I find it hard to believe that he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Who pays for the Guards doing all the pointing and looking unhappy at concerts?

I find it hard to believe that Aiken came up with it and then immediately after it was released he said he was skeptical that Brooks would agree.

That because when he got on the phone to Brooks after his meeting with DCC, Brooks said 'what feckin idiot proposed this?' Aiken replied 'err ahh'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Is Peter Aiken in any contact with Garth Brooks at all?? surely they would of discussed this possibility before going into the meetings?

That remains to be seen. I find it hard to believe that he did.

But you are trying very hard to believe it was DCC!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

What do you think about his announcement regarding the release of his music catalog digitally, under his terms? Do you think he'll restrict it to complete albums in order to preserve the intended listening experience?

Most likely, but you never know, as he's with Sony now and they are notorious for controlling their artists.

Hence the 'Fony' Headphones the dancer in Mr.Michael's Fast Love video is wearing (1m2sec mark):

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

The more this goes on, the more it plays out like an episode of Killinaskully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Fuhrer wrote: »

Promoter.Govt gets 2/3 of the cost and the Guard pays tax on his third.

Will be lots of GR's roped in who won't be getting paid at all,and govt still gets the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Would Garth Brooks, along with Peter Aiken and the GAA ever go and fúck off, seriously, I am sick to sh1t of them, and then same with RTE shovelling this "news" down our throats.

Like the country has feck all else to be concerned about. JEBUS H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There is in fact a very simple solution to all of this, which would be agreed by all and keep the local residents, DCC, the promoters, hoteliers, and Garth Brooks and his fans happy.

However, I have lost respect for the man after that appalling press conference, so I'm not going to reveal what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Fuhrer wrote: »

The event organiser. This new arrangement would be quite a windfall. They'll charge Aiken for Gardaí to cover 160,000 people per day. They'll staff it with enough to cover 80,000 (including free reserves) and get them to do extended shifts, probably with no breaks. I reckon a Garda working the day will come out with 20% of what the state will make of their presence, if even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

There is in fact a very simple solution to all of this, which would be agreed by all and keep the local residents, DCC, the promoters, hoteliers, and Garth Brooks and his fans happy.

However, I have lost respect for the man after that appalling press conference, so I'm not going to reveal what it is.

Go on...does it involve a certain tribute band by any chance???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

How do people think this saga will end? Eventually, I just think everyone will say f*ck it and just let it go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement