Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There is in fact a very simple solution to all of this, which would be agreed by all and keep the local residents, DCC, the promoters, hoteliers, and Garth Brooks and his fans happy.

However, I have lost respect for the man after that appalling press conference, so I'm not going to reveal what it is.

Tell us or I will haunt your dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So far we have

0/3 0/5 3/5 5/5 and now 5/3

Its like the X Files

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

thelad95 wrote: »
    How do people think this saga will end? Eventually, I just think everyone will say f*ck it and just let it go ahead.

I think Garth will invade Croker and play anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

I find it hard to believe that Aiken came up with it and then immediately after it was released he said he was skeptical that Brooks would agree.

Aiken already has said that it was Garth that came up with the idea of matinees, when he was thinking out loud and trying to come with any way that they could possibly sort out the mess. It was said to show that Garth just wants to perform for the 400,000 in whatever way he can and so that is where is mind went briefly, but I think it would be impossible and I'd said they know it would be also.

An acoustic matinee maybe, but I can't see how they could but on two full shows a day.Hopefully now that the door seems a shade more open than it was, they can figure some way of moving the the two days further on in the week, to the following Fri and Sat if possible. Seems the only logical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Seems like this "compromise" was simply purported in an effort to seem like we at least tried, without forcing the initial decision to be overruled. That's of course if the matinee idea was still within the terms of the council’s licence as reported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

vicwatson wrote: »
    Would Garth Brooks, along with Peter Aiken and the GAA ever go and fúck off, seriously, I am sick to sh1t of them, and then same with RTE shovelling this "news" down our throats.

Like the country has feck all else to be concerned about. JEBUS H

Thanks for taking the time out to post in the GB thread though :D

Would people hide in the jacks and then watch the evening show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its pure madness, Dublin city, the Gardai and Public transport wont be able to cope with the huge volume of concert goers on the two days the matinee shows are on.

We dont even know if Garth will go ahead with the proposal.

My Facebook page is flooded with people saying that hes doing the matinee shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Go on...does it involve a certain tribute band by any chance???

I will only reveal it to the Mexican Ambassador, in person.

He must arrive with a meatball Sub and a pack of Marlboro, but otherwise be unarmed and unaccompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

We need Bono or Bill Clinton to sort this. Where are they when they are really needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

ebbsy wrote: »

This could be a real problem in fact : trying to get people to budge from the arena when they know a second gig is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What if you don't want to or can't make a matinee? Would you be entitled to a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Imagine you got tickets to all shows. Four and a half days straight of Garth. Listening to his shtick after only hearing it hours before.

Strazdas wrote: »
    This could be a real problem in fact : trying to get people to budge from the arena when they know a second gig is coming.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

ebbsy wrote: »

That's my plan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I will only reveal it to the Mexican Ambassador, in person.

He must arrive with a meatball Sub and a pack of Marlboro, but otherwise be unarmed and unaccompanied.

That's what you think...you don't reckon for the indominatable Gack Brauer who will be hiding in el Mexicanos earpiece....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Just spare a thought for Bono and Daniel who as home grown performers would only dream of this demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

We need an emergency UN resolution to deal with these 400,000 thousand refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gordon West

If Garth really has the 400,000 fans interest on his mind, why doesn't he perform at the Phoenix Park for free? Plenty of room out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mikeym wrote: »
    Its pure madness, Dublin city, the Gardai and Public transport wont be able to cope with the huge volume of concert goers on the two days the matinee shows are on.

We dont even know if Garth will go ahead with the proposal.

My Facebook page is flooded with people saying that hes doing the matinee shows.

He said in his press conference earlier that it's not an option.

Whole thing is ludicrous. DCC would sooner agree to a compromise that would mean even more disruption for a greater number of people, and one that would be a logistical nightmare, not to mention dangerous.. than to be seen to be doing a u-turn on their original decision.

Would it not just be better to allow for the 5 nights on the condition that when it's finished, a new and 100% legally binding agreement be reached with residents.. instead of the one that exists now & can be ignored on the whim of the council?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just spare a thought for Bono and Daniel who as home grown performers would only dream of this demand.
    If U2 had not played in europe or here for as long as garth brooks then I would imagine there would have been greater demand. However I expect they would not have "dreamed" of building up people's hopes like Aiken did, as they know fine well of the 3 gig agreement, as did Aiken, as did the dogs on the fucking street. And would be under no doubt about the guaranteed backlash,

U2 getting 3 nights granted as a big deal, it brought the number of concerts to 4 that year which was unprecedented. These bizarre chancers went for double that, WTF were they thinking?

http://www.atu2.com/news/local-fury-over-u2-ticket-sales.html
    LOCAL FURY OVER U2 TICKET SALES

Dublin People, April 16, 2009

Angry Northside residents living in the vicinity of Croke Park have slammed the selling of tickets for the upcoming U2 concerts which have yet to be licensed.

Three July dates of the U2 360 tour, which will see 82,000 fans pile into Croke Park each night, were advertised and thousands of tickets have been sold without the licence being granted for the events.

While the licence request for the three dates was included in last week's planning list, residents who will be most affected by the gigs doubt that the council will reject permission for the event which is likely to generate e6.5 million in revenue.

"If they weren't sure that they would get the licence then they wouldn't have advertised the dates," said Barbara Ward of the Clonliff and District Residents' Association.

"It's a bit premature and just makes you wonder what the point is in going through the planning process for the licence in which public submissions from the public are invited.

"It's a joke and it makes a mockery of the residents who are led to believe they have a say on whether the concerts go ahead or not."

Last month, all 164,000 tickets for the two initial U2 concerts -- Friday July 24 and Saturday July 25 -- sold out in one hour prompting the band to announce a third date for July 27.

Tickets for the final Croke Park gig, which were priced e33.60, e59.80, e91.50, e131.50, went on sale on April 1.

Disgruntled residents living close to Croker believe they are being completely overlooked by both the council and the promoters.

"No one seems to realise how this extra date will impact on us," Barbara told Northside People.

"The concert will go on until all hours. It will be at least 1am before our neighbourhood settles down and we are able to get any sleep and many of residents need to get up for work the next morning."

Bill Byrne of Foster Terrace said residents were left frustrated when extra dates were added on without any consultation with locals.

"I just don't understand the logic behind this process which seems so flexible, especially when it comes to big bands and promoters who put so much pressure on the council to grant permission as the tickets have already been sold," he said.

Local councillor Emer Costello (Lab) criticised the promoter's ability to "put the cart before the horse," which she said left the council's hands tied.

"There's a lot of money riding on these gigs," she told Northside People.

"I really can't see the council rejecting the licence for these concerts for which tickets have already been sold.

"It's not as if anyone would be too keen on having to refund the 246,000 people who have bought tickets for the concerts."

In 1992, Croke Park was granted permission to hold three concerts per year. However, the events are subject to a council approved management plan and licensing.

"Under the licensing regulations Croke Park are obliged to lodge a detailed event management plan to the planning authority 16 weeks in advance of any proposed event," a Dublin City Council spokesperson said.

"Submissions are accepted by the planning authority for five weeks from the date of lodgement of the event licence application.

"The application is referred for comment to a number of consultees -- Health Services Executive, An Garda Siochana and Dublin Fire Brigade, for instance. A decision to grant or refuse a licence is an executive function of the planning authority. The licence application for three concerts at Croke Park is currently under consideration by the planning authority."

The spokesperson added: "The planning regulations do not preclude a promoter from advertising or selling tickets for an event in advance of the license being issued."

A spokesperson for MCD said it had placed notices regarding the U2 concerts in the media as part of its application which it had lodged with the council.

"In addition Croke Park has raised the issue at a recent Community Liaison Committee Meeting which includes representatives from the local community and local politicians," the spokesperson continued.

"All local politicians are regular visitors to Croke Park, and like other fans will attest to the professional standards to which events are run. Large events in Croke Park are extremely important ways of stimulating the Dublin economy. It is estimated that this weekend will benefit the city with an economic stimulus of some e100 million. In recognition of the cooperation from the local community to staging concerts at Croke Park MCD have made a substantial contribution to the Community Trust Fund which has been set aside for community enhancement projects in the locality."
    nothing new

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The only option for Mr Brooks is 5 consecutive night shows which is why the DCC should have told him to do one already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Whole thing is ludicrous. DCC would sooner agree to a compromise that would mean even more disruption for a greater number of people, and one that would be a logistical nightmare, not to mention dangerous.. than to be seen to be doing a u-turn on their original decision.

Would it not just be better to allow for the 5 nights on the condition that when it's finished, a new and 100% legally binding agreement be reached with residents.. instead of the one that exists now & can be ignored on the whim of the council?

Jaysus...they cannot u-turn legally even if they wanted to.
    The ridiculous hysterical response to the DCC doing it's job and Brooks intransigence has led to this farce...nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I've the solution, we have a new festival over five nights and call it the Garth Brooks comeback FESTIVAL.

No concerts, just the festival and if he, youknow, happens to trip over a light switch here and there, there's a few beer barrels holding up the stage to comply with festival laws you understand, and he happens to sing his heart out for three hours a night, sure won't it be grand out like and not a concert in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I heard the Mexican ambassador has sorted the problem. Right now 10,000 Mexicans are sailing over in their homemade boats to erect an extra level on Croker which will add 80,000 seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Almighty fcuk up if GB agrees

He's already said no. They're seemingly trying to force him to be the one to pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Strazdas wrote: »
    Can you imagine Rio trying to host two World Cups at the Maracana on Sunday with two completely different sets of fans and a fast turnaround between the two matches? It would be a recipe for absolute chaos.

Not really it is do-able. I worked at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and we had to empty a stadium of 115,000 people after the afternoon session and then fill it up again with another 115,000 people in under two hours for the evening session. We did that 12 days straight and it ran like clockwork. If organised properly moving that amount of people out and then filling it up again is possible, every Olympics to this day does it.

The only way you could achieve it at Croker is to run a one way system, I.e. everyone approaches the stadium from the west and departs by the east. Then the first 80,000 people never get to see the second 80,000 people. The first 80,000 are then strictly marshalled back towards the city center and aren't allowed to hang around the stadium to listen to the second gig. Enforce that strongly and you don't have a problem. If run well then the 160,000 people will only be in the same area for 60-90 minutes but never get to see each other.

It is do-able but it's still a daft idea and it won't happen. Not just here anywhere - there's no way an artist will risk their main asset (their voice) by doing 5 2 hour shows in three days, it's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Sad to see so many people playing the blame game.

It's DCC's fault, it's Garth's fault, it's the residents fault, Croke park's fault, Enda's fault, media's fault.

Yet people are missing who are really to blame.

The government of Mexico. What a rubbish ambassador!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

Only one side willing to make a compromise on the planning decision and to allow 400,000 see their hero, and it ain't Garth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement