Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

What's the difference between a GAA match and a concert? A GAA match makes a lot of noise, a concert makes a lot of noise, a GAA match causes a lot of traffic, a concert causes a lot of traffic. While yes, a concert may make a little bit more noise, but surely it can't make that much more noise than a GAA match.

Concerts happen at night.
    Concerts take days to set up and dismantle.
    Concerts last longer than matches and havr sound checks and support acts.
    People who go to concerts drink a lot more than those going to a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

What's the difference between a GAA match and a concert? A GAA match makes a lot of noise, a concert makes a lot of noise, a GAA match causes a lot of traffic, a concert causes a lot of traffic. While yes, a concert may make a little bit more noise, but surely it can't make that much more noise than a GAA match.

Five nights in a row, crowds at sports events would be well gone by 7PM, it's the intended purpose of Croke Park. Plenty of difference.

The residents aren't even the issue here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Garth Brooks and his fans are not wanted there. We're all a big joke to you. Fear not, we will not bother you with our presence. And as someone who had been to Ireland and 5 previous occasions, it will be a long time, if ever, before I dare to come back. But you don't need us or our money, so you'll survive.

Having read your'e stupid comments over the weekend you wont be missed.

If this is our 9/11 then can we have a national day of mourning? With no work of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Concerts happen at night.
    Concerts take days to set up and dismantle.
    Concerts last longer than matches and havr sound checks and support acts.
    People who go to concerts drink a lot more than those going to a match.

A soundcheck! A set up inside the stadium before hand! No wonder the residents feel "held hostage" in their homes.. the horror!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

anncoates wrote: »
    Explain what these less directly beneficial things are? Going to dinner in Galway instead of buying merchandise in Dublin if the concert is cancelled?

And how do you know if money will be 'unspent' elsewhere?

The point I'm making is not that some businesses won't lose out rather these vague propaganda figures of money lost from the 'local economy'.

You have a grasp of Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The windbags in the residents associations can't argue against GAA games being held in Croke Park. That's the only difference

If they could, their whinging would be constantly on the airwaves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

All the GAA fault, thought they cold do what they wanted, roughshot over the residents and the planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

If this is our 9/11 then can we have a national day of mourning? With no work of course.

Hey, no need to be flippant about this.

It's either five national days of mourning or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Joe Duffy is dedicating the rest of the week to this I believe

He's on holidays for the month, lord fauntelroy is doing liveline in the mean time

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    A soundcheck! A set up inside the stadium before hand! No wonder the residents feel "held hostage" in their homes.. the horror!

He asked for the difference, I gave it to him. What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Gaa matches are shorter, on the weekend, finish earlier and involve less drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Other than any extra noise....they have to set up alot of extra stuff (stage, generators (?), lights, amps etc [do they cover the pitch?]) for concert so that causes disruption around the area. The concert ends quite late at night. The concert patrons will be somewhat 'messier' than the GAA game patrons (depends on band/musician playing to some extent). Some of these concerts were also going to be on working days as far as I remember - most GAA games - esp. the full house ones are at the weekends.
    I don't live near Croke park or Landsdowne Rd or any other concert venue or sports ground etc but hope I've been of some assistance!:pac:

edit: see above also!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

I think when the dust settles and calm has been restored, we need to sit down and take a long look at ourselves as a nation.
    Big questions need to be asked, even an enquiry if needed. First Question - how on earth do we have so many Garth Brooks fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Was waiting for the punchline..........v dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Heatmachine1

Absolute embarrassment,I feel really sorry for those who bought tickets/booked hotels etc.The residents along with Dub city council have brought shame to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

RE the four concerts or three ~ this is impossible.

I've missed the link, can someone provide please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

dgt wrote: »
    What'll they do with all those concert shirts in Dunnes Stores now....?

Never mind Dunnes stores, i heard there were people who had ordered shipping containers worth of Garth Brooks merchandise from china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Absolute embarrassment,I feel really sorry for those who bought tickets/booked hotels etc.The residents along with Dub city council have brought shame to Ireland.

Shame.....? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

On Monday to suit the post World Cup hangover would suit nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭NightOfTheHunt

I heard this is costing the Irish economy €17 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Fúck Garth Brooks, fúck Aiken & fúck the GAA :eek:

Look what ye have done to AH, our sanctuary of peace & bastion of common sense :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's not and they haven't.

Having the imf run our affairs was shameful.
    Mass graves full of babies is shameful.
    Child abuse that happened here was shameful.

Not granting a licence for 2 concerts is not shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rightwing wrote: »
    You have a grasp of Economics.

Your snide answer suggests you do so why can't you share your expertise?

Nowhere did i claim i had expert knowledge more wondering how these catastrophic losses (with actual loss figures) to the local economy are arrived at.

If Irish people don't go to the concerts does all that potential spend disappear or filter into the economy elsewhere.

I'm not stating fact, I'm wondering as there is a high chance i myself would spend the money elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How many times have five GAA matches been played in a row at Croke Park?

Every hotel, all over the world, jack their prices up when there is a large event taking place in the locality.

The way people are going on about that aspect of things here, you'd swear it was purely an Irish thing.. or somehow unique to this example. It's supply and demand... simple as.

Yup, and demand has dropped so tough titty for 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

nm wrote: »

interesting, the % refer to the total sales, so I reckon he wasn't including North in the 70k figure.
    and 12k tickets sold in US, probably 7-8k people coming (assuming many of them bought for more than 1 gig).

I hope that some of these people can see reasoning behind their frustration and come to Ireland regardless. Obviously it isn't the same when the main factor is not there anymore, but still this is a beautiful country with lots to offer a tourist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement