Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Jaysus...they cannot u-turn legally even if they wanted to.
    The ridiculous hysterical response to the DCC doing it's job and Brooks intransigence has led to this farce...nothing else.

If they were doing their jobs they would have ignored the baseless complaints and made the most of this event for the city and the country. 5 days of concerts in the city center in a warm dry summer? It was a tourism gold mine. They could have organised events around the city for people before and after the concerts and made it a real spectacle, in a good way. They go all out for ****ty skyfest every year and these concerts would have drawn in 20 times the crowds at least.

No, all they've proven is that they are completely incapable of doing their jobs when it becomes any way complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Is it just me or is that eamon o brien guy from the resident association the bulb off the undertaker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's a f@€!ing joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

He's already said no. They're seemingly trying to force him to be the one to pull the plug.

He has already pulled the plug, others are trying to compromise but Brooks is not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Matinees.... Jesus, that's the single most idiotic proposal yet. This nonsense is all about DCC trying to give in and save face at the same time by proposing an unworkable compromise, all so that they can say they didn't change their mind.
    The logical compromise would be to say to the GAA, you've exceeded the permitted number of special events by 200% this year, you can have the 5 gigs but you can't have any special events in Croke park for the next two years. So what will it be, 5 extra gigs and all your sweeties now, or 400,000 angry fans?

The logistics of matinee shows are hairy, how do you get two crowds of 80,000 people in and out without creating chaos? Is there the hotel capacity over the two days to room a double sized crowd? Can public transport links support that number of travelling fans, how to 160,00 people from Limerick get on a train a Hueston at 11:30pm?

Our political masters and those in charge of our city leave me in no doubt that if we replaced them with a couple of dozen chimps we'd still have better and more effective management of this nations affairs then we do currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

If they were doing their jobs they would have ignored the baseless complaints and made the most of this event for the city and the country. 5 days of concerts in the city center in a warm dry summer? It was a tourism gold mine. They could have organised events around the city for people before and after the concerts and made it a real spectacle, in a good way. They go all out for ****ty skyfest every year and these concerts would have drawn in 20 times the crowds at least.

No, all they've proven is that they are completely incapable of doing their jobs when it becomes any way complicated.

Not everything about the quality of your life relates to money and profit.

3 nights was plenty, 5 was just being greedy at others expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

From the Indo in January

He "forgot" his passport but "two thirds of the flight up to Maine, it hit me so I told the pilot and they said I guess we're going back home", he explained

It was then organised that Mr Brooks could enter the country for a short time........

You know the way the American Immigration Authorities would allow us enter their country for a short time without a PASSPORT:rolleyes:

See more at: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/how-superstar-garth-brooks-almost-didnt-make-it-to-croker-29936259.html#sthash.x82aINra.dpuf

Don't understand how exceptions can be made to our immigration laws for a bleedin' country and western singer

Country is a joke, jobs for the boys, I think the Government have spent wayyyyy too much time on this private business deal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not really it is do-able. I worked at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and we had to empty a stadium of 115,000 people after the afternoon session and then fill it up again with another 115,000 people in under two hours for the evening session. We did that 12 days straight and it ran like clockwork. If organised properly moving that amount of people out and then filling it up again is possible, every Olympics to this day does it.

The only way you could achieve it at Croker is to run a one way system, I.e. everyone approaches the stadium from the west and departs by the east. Then the first 80,000 people never get to see the second 80,000 people. The first 80,000 are then strictly marshalled back towards the city center and aren't allowed to hang around the stadium to listen to the second gig. Enforce that strongly and you don't have a problem. If run well then the 160,000 people will only be in the same area for 60-90 minutes but never get to see each other.

It is do-able but it's still a daft idea and it won't happen. Not just here anywhere - there's no way an artist will risk their main asset (their voice) by doing 5 2 hour shows in three days, it's insane.

I see what our problem would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

NOW! If youse all love Garth you will be good little children and go to the matinees, we don't want to be breaking Garth's Aiken heart again, do we now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

conorhal wrote: »
    Matinees.... Jesus, that's the single most idiotic proposal yet. This nonsense is all about DCC trying to give in and save face at the same time by proposing

Do keep up, it was Aiken who proposed the matinee idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Just said on RTE news there that Aiken have confirmed that Garth has rejected the idiotic matinee proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

So Keegan and Aiken shook on the deal....... I'm guessing Garth ain't in Pete's good books.... I know I said I wouldn't watch any more coverage but I just couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Do keep up, it was Aiken who proposed the matinee idea

Proposed it, all I see is Kenny on the news endorsing it rather than saying, seriously, WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

RTÉ News ‏@rtenews 8m
    Aiken Promotions has confirmed that the proposal for Garth Brooks to hold matinees on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 July will not be feasible

RTE Twitter.

Not feasible - Garth says No:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyway RTE reporting now that the matinee idea is a non runner according to Aiken so that idea is now brown bread and we're back to an impasse.

Garth won't compromise
    DCC can't compromise
    Enda is not dumb enough to come in and ride roughshot over DCC and the planning laws. If he does Fianna Fáil have him where they want him- Enda stepping in and over ruling DCC will mean a legal challenge for sure. So if he pins his colours to this mast and it subsequently blows up in the courts he'll be made to look like a national eejit. Enda stepping in here is political suicide, he can announce all the meetings he likes but he won't be actually doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Didn't Aiken say on camera earlier this week how Garth wants this sorted. Matinees whatever... He'd do anything.

Then this evening. Garth says matinees are half assed?

So now Garth just wants the 5 singles. No compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It wouldn't surprise me if Garth Brooks told Aiken, the GAA, Kenny and the rest of them to stick it all where the sun doesn't shine.
    I don't blame him for saying all or nothing, he wasn't the one selling the tickets for dates that were not licenced for.
    The whole affair is an embarrassing fiasco making the country look like a shower of gombeens who couldn't organise a p! $$ up in a brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Can't another act step in for the 3 nights which are licensed?? Sure the stage is going to go to waste anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

At this stage someone needs to tell Brooks to:

Fcuk Off.

I've had enough listening to this mind numbing rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He's already said no. They're seemingly trying to force him to be the one to pull the plug.

Haven't they already been cancelled on Tuesday ?

So who's cancelling again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Crowd at the end of the matinee….

More, Moooooore, MOOOOOOORE!

Garth….

No chance! Now feck off and get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Peter Aiken will have a coronary shortly if it's not sorted one way or the other.

It's all in some load of shiite at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Garth is at risk of losing the love of his people at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Neeson wrote: »
    Didn't Aiken say on camera earlier this week how Garth wants this sorted. Matinees whatever... He'd do anything.

Then this evening. Garth says matinees are half assed?

So now Garth just wants the 5 singles. No compromise.

You know how you agree to do overtime at work, then later on you think, **** that! i can't be arsed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Rasheed wrote: »
    Peter Aiken will have a coronary shortly if it's not sorted one way or the other.

It's all in some load of shiite at the moment anyway.

The whole lot should be cancelled. It's a total mess at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

And will someone think of poor Nathan Carter? The bulk of the 400,000 are most likely for him, with his sexy little head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Offer him 7 nights, hopefully that will work

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Fair point. I meant in terms of shifting all the blame onto Brooks and his pigheadedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

fta93 wrote: »
    Only one side willing to make a compromise on the planning decision and to allow 400,000 see their hero, and it ain't Garth.

Who is it so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Brook is a badder man coz he decided to not bother doing the first 3

3 v 2

Brook is not nice man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement