Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

D'ya know, I could almost stand the apathy of Irish people in general about a lot of important things (economy, politics, the church, etc.) that is wrong with this country if it wasn't for the fact that we then collectively lose our sh!t over something as mind-bogglingly trivial as a concert!
    I've actually put my head in my hands countless times over the last while reading the stories about it. And each time I think "It can't possibly get any more embarrassing", someone then proves me wrong.

I have a feeling it will get worse over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

drkpower wrote: »
    When our laws and regulations seem so arbitrary and nonsensical it's not surprising that others don't treat them with a whole lot of respect.

He didn't even bother to acquaint himself with the 'law' he just tried to infer that it was a political decision, it wasn't and never was. Thankfully we have stopped short of that. Long after the punters get over their out of pocket expenses we will be thankful for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Was it for this the wild geese spread
    The grey wing upon every tide;
    For this that all that blood was shed,
    For this Edward Fitzgerald died,
    And Robert Emmet and Wolfe Tone,
    All that delirium of the brave?
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

Aye, ye can't beat a bit of Richie Kavanagh in times of crisis.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

phillo65 wrote: »
    I don't get your drift.Are you having a go at me.
    I'd imagine he was giving you a dig about your spelling ;)

D'ya know, I could almost stand the apathy of Irish people in general about a lot of important things (economy, politics, the church, etc.) that is wrong with this country if it wasn't for the fact that we then collectively lose our sh!t over something as mind-bogglingly trivial as a concert!
    I've actually put my head in my hands countless times over the last while reading the stories about it. And each time I think "It can't possibly get any more embarrassing", someone then proves me wrong.

What is the general range of Garth Brooks fans? Roughly what age group has seen no increase in unemployment in the last 7 years? What age and up do people not have mortgages of double the amount of the current value of their house?

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    He didn't even bother to acquaint himself with the 'law' he just tried to infer that it was a political decision, it wasn't and never was. Thankfully we have stopped short of that. Long after the punters get over their out of pocket expenses we will be thankful for that.

Tis true,all we need is another Cowboy in the country.I think we have enough of our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Another big problem with the matinee idea is that around 70,000 people are coming in from abroad for the five gigs. It stands to reason that around 25,000-30,000 people would have had booked tickets and flights for the Monday and Tuesday gigs. This seems to have completely escaped DCC's minds when they came up with their "solution".

And how on earth would those 30,000 people be able to find accommodation when there are going to be 320,000 people in Dublin for the Saturday and Sunday gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Strazdas wrote: »
    Another big problem with the matinee idea is that around 70,000 people are coming in from abroad for the five gigs. It stands to reason that around 25,000-30,000 people would have had booked tickets and flights for the Monday and Tuesday gigs. This seems to have completely escaped DCC's minds when they came up with their "solution".

And how on earth would those 30,000 people be able to find accommodation when there are going to be 320,000 people in Dublin for the Saturday and Sunday gigs?

It was Aiken that proposed the "solution"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

70,000 coming from abroad was a figure plucked out of thin air it's nowhere near that number.

• Advertisement

muddypaws wrote: »
    It was Aiken that proposed the "solution"

Whoever came up with the idea of two "matinee" performances in an 80,000 seater arena in the middle of a city needs their head examined.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I'd imagine he was giving you a dig about your spelling ;)

Thought that.Im a bit heavy fingered on the IPad.Don't like Pedantics with nothing better to contribute to a debate than correct others spelling,grammer,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Is it not obvious that there's a world of difference between cancellation because of an act of God as you describe, and cancellation because of Ireland's unimaginably incompetent establishment?

Yes there is a world of difference in those causes, I agree but the point I was making was about the dire consequences predicted by Brookes, Christy Burke, Aiken et al.

Regardless of how the situation got to this stage cancelling the concerts won't actually cause any consequences to the ticket holders other than inconvenience and disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Whoever came up with the idea of two "matinee" performances in an 80,000 arena in the middle of a city needs their head examined.

You can thank Aiken for that but he probably got the idea from what Brooks said to him on Tuesday.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    70,000 coming from abroad was a figure plucked out of thin air it's nowhere near that number.

Even allowing for that, it's highly likely that the majority of the 320,000 people due to attend the Saturday and Sunday gigs would be from outside Dublin which would be a recipe for total chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

This was meant to be a comeback special event. After an early retirement and over 16 years of not touring.

The americans had a boat in the volvo ocean race that came to galway 2012. As part of those celebrations an american group put on a huge firework display over galway. All for free. Something that would cost thousands.

You can bet your ass Mr.Brook would have pumped millions into preparing for these shows and it would have been huge. For it all to go to sh1t due to a pack of dublin tramps.

I'm not trying to be smart but I don't think I can answer any of them points.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

If the music is good enough, it will triumph in the daylight too

Can someone not just sink the ships and we can be done with it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The city manager looks like a right little pencil head functionary in all this.

• Advertisement

You can thank Aiken for that but he probably got the idea from what Brooks said to him on Tuesday.

A matinee performance would be manageable at somewhere like the 14,000 seater O2 Arena. To try it at an 80,000 seater football stadium in the middle of a city is insane.

A matinee performance would be manageable at somewhere like the 14,000 seater O2 Arena. To try it at an 80,000 seater football stadium in the middle of a city is insane.

I agree, it's a crazy idea but as long as everyone remembers it was Aiken's idea. And unless he's a liar, he said Brooks said it him when they spoke on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I agree, it's a crazy idea but as long as everyone remembers it was Aiken's idea. And unless he's a liar, he said Brooks said it him when they spoke on Tuesday.

Brooks suggested it today himself in during his press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Whoever came up with the idea of two "matinee" performances in an 80,000 seater arena in the middle of a city needs their head examined.

why? don't the gaa run double headers all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Red Alert wrote: »
    The city manager looks like a right little pencil head functionary in all this.

Precisely. He had a roadmap proposed by mulvey; let the 5 go ahead and then none(or very few) next year. That would have given almost everyone what they wanted ( or at least something to hold onto). Instead he decided to play hard ball for no particular reason. It has blown up in his face and now he can't or won't back down for fear of losing face.

That may well be the case but I'm guessing Brooks is not even familiar with the geography of Dublin and what a logistical nightmare it would be.

DCC don't come out of this well either. It seems they would be quite prepared to see people at risk of injury or worse rather than do any sort of a climbdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Not often I agree with the Green party but Ciaran Cuffe is right...altering our planning laws on a whim of public outrage would be wrong.

kenmc wrote: »
    why? don't the gaa run double headers all the time?

They do indeed, but it's the same people inside the stadium for both matches : one ticket suffices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

drkpower wrote: »
    Precisely. He had a roadmap proposed by mulvey; let the 5 go ahead and then none(or very few) next year. That would have given almost everyone what they wanted ( or at least something to hold onto). Instead he decided to play hard ball for no particular reason. It has blown up in his face and now he can't or won't back down for fear of losing face.

The GAA stated that they have legal obligations to have at least 3 concerts in 2015 and 2016 - and so would not agree to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement