Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Christ lads the way you're acting you'd think the Red Hot Chili Peppers got cancelled. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

stmol32 wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart but I don't think I can answer any of them points.

I would not even try to to reply.The last line about" Dublin tramps" says alot about that posters ignorant attitude.BTW I am not from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Strazdas wrote: »
    That may well be the case but I'm guessing Brooks is not even familiar with the geography of Dublin and what a logistical nightmare it would be.

DCC don't come out of this well either. It seems they would be quite prepared to see people at risk of injury or worse rather than do any sort of a climbdown.

The DCC haven't given the green light to the proposal...all they have said is that they will on foot of an updated and satisfactory Event Management Plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yeah, he probably change once he gets some power as well, just like the Labour Party.

But as for equality and fairness, what if it's sunny one day and bucketing down the next? That's hardly fair. Will they get another go on the next available sunny day?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Like most people in the country, I'm guessing, this has come up in conversation with pretty much everyone I've spoken to in the last few days. Not one single person I've spoken to thinks the concerts should go ahead. They are all mightily pissed off that the local residents are being so disregarded by the GAA/Aiken for the sake of profit and hope that this time and from now on, the 3 concerts a year agreement is stuck to as that is already way more than the locals should have to tolerate.

And this is in Limerick, the poor sad town Garth is doing the concerts for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

That may well be the case but I'm guessing Brooks is not even familiar with the geography of Dublin and what a logistical nightmare it would be.

DCC don't come out of this well either. It seems they would be quite prepared to see people at risk of injury or worse rather than do any sort of a climbdown.

Why should they climb down, the tickets were sold subject to licence, they licence hasn't been granted, everyone bought tickets/booked hotels etc. knowing that the licence had not being granted.

It's not the DCC's fault that people went out and booked flights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The DCC haven't given the green light to the proposal...all they have said is that they will on foot of an updated and satisfactory Event Management Plan.

I would have thought two matinee performances is a non runner. I doubt any other city in Europe would even attempt such a solution ie. have 160,000 people milling around one part of the city on the same day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

drkpower wrote: »
    Precisely. He had a roadmap proposed by mulvey; let the 5 go ahead and then none(or very few) next year. That would have given almost everyone what they wanted ( or at least something to hold onto). Instead he decided to play hard ball for no particular reason. It has blown up in his face and now he can't or won't back down for fear of losing face.

The GAA turned that down citing they already have contractual commitments for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

He will do the matinee shows.

He will.

Don't unload the Hiache yet, those cowboy hats will still sell.

iguana wrote: »
    Like most people in the country, I'm guessing, this has come up in conversation with pretty much everyone I've spoken to in the last few days. Not one single person I've spoken to thinks the concerts should go ahead. They are all mightily pissed off that the local residents are being so disregarded by the GAA/Aiken for the sake of profit and hope that this time and from now on, the 3 concerts a year agreement is stuck to as that is already way more than the locals should have to tolerate.

I'm more disappointed in the total lack of respect he has for our laws. I only saw the bit of the press conference on the news but I couldn't believe the ignorance of the man. Who does he think he is?

It still wouldn't surprise me if he got his way though

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why should they climb down, the tickets were sold subject to licence, they licence hasn't been granted, everyone bought tickets/booked hotels etc. knowing that the licence had not being granted.

It's not the DCC's fault that people went out and booked flights etc.

If they don't want to climb down, fine, but the idea of two matinee performances in an 80,000 seater arena in the middle of a city seems insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If the music is good enough, it will triumph in the daylight too

I think I see the problem.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

but the idea of two matinee performances in an 80,000 seater arena in the middle of a city seems insane.

That's exactly why I like the sound of it.

The law doesn't allow climbdowns

Agree fully, but the proposed "solution" to getting around the legal situation seems bonkers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

iguana wrote: »

I'd say the people I've talked to are 80/20 in favour of the concerts. Very few around here seem to think the concerts should be pulled.

That said, some are heavily involved in GAA and/ or have tickets so aren't particularly impartial.

Agree fully, but the proposed "solution" to getting around the legal situation seems bonkers

An attempt to save face I suppose. Crazy idea but all they had I suppose.

An attempt to save face I suppose. Crazy idea but all they had I suppose.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem of course, but we're used to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Not really

Read something that standing outside the fire was on the playlist and the stage was going to go on fire. That in the middle of the day would be a bit meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

If they don't want to climb down, fine, but the idea of two matinee performances in an 80,000 seater arena in the middle of a city seems insane.

Enda asked them to come up with a solution for the 5 shows to be played.

GB clearly stated "For us, it is five shows or none at all" - DCC have provided him with an opportunity to play 5 shows. He has chosen not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not often I agree with the Green party but Ciaran Cuffe is right...altering our planning laws on a whim of public outrage would be wrong.
    well frankly, i couldn't care a less about what someone from the green party says

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Absolutely not.

Or maybe, but MOOD is imperative, A mood does not work universally.

I love my music loud, but I WORK in silence, drives my wife mad who gets the shakes in silence.

I'm going to say, I'd need more drink for an afternoon or daylight concert, than an evening into darkness, the WHOLE world changes as night falls and the acoustics change, it's physics Jim and ye can ney change the laws of physics.

Now, whether Brooks is a skillful enough artist to capitalise on this in reality, I'd say, no, he is not, but he might think he is. I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

So are they going ahead or what or are they still all cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Not really

Read something that standing outside the fire was on the playlist and the stage was going to go on fire. That in the middle of the day would be a bit meh

Oh that's be cool. I think that's the only song I'd know of Garths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Never liked their stuff either.

Not really

Is it a good song though? Does it need the effects to make it special? Don't get me wrong, I love a good stage show but the best artists in the world can get up and play with minimal effects and still wow a crowd.

And if I was as big a Garth fans as a lot of people seem to be, I'd be happy seeing him any way I could.

Not really

So what happens if it was bucketing down or was extremely windy - health and safety wouldn't be too keen with a fire on stage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Actually, in light of what has happened that might not be a bad idea. I'm ure if he could have then some politico would have said climbdown or else. Kinda protects the office?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Not really

What time were the original concerts scheduled for? Because it stays bright until well after 9pm these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement