Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Strazdas wrote: »
    They do indeed, but it's the same people inside the stadium for both matches : one ticket suffices.

Probably the same for these too. Going by my facebook i don't think i know one person with a ticket to just one of his shows. Not to mention all the tickets the touts bought for the original shows that they can't move.

There will not be anywhere close to 400,000 thousand different people passing through the gates of Croke Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Doesn't give him the right to think we should change our laws to suit him and his ego.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Enda asked them to come up with a solution for the 5 shows to be played.

GB clearly stated "For us, it is five shows or none at all" - DCC have provided him with an opportunity to play 5 shows. He has chosen not to.

I'm not a fan of the man but can understand why he doesn't like the solution presented. Doing five gigs over five days must take a hell of a lot out of a person and five over three days would destroy you. Take a look at most touring schedules of older singers and generally there's a break between gigs to allow them to relax and rest their voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Yep, still not bigger than the law though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not really

Read something that standing outside the fire was on the playlist and the stage was going to go on fire. That in the middle of the day would be a bit meh

Isn't sunset in July usually about half 9 or so? The evening shows wouldn't exactly be pitch black now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,525 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Enda asked them to come up with a solution for the 5 shows to be played.

GB clearly stated "For us, it is five shows or none at all" - DCC have provided him with an opportunity to play 5 shows. He has chosen not to.

I don't think Brooks comes out of it well either. He is playing hardball on the five gigs and refused to compromise on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The law doesn't allow climbdowns
    but it does allow resignations, which dear eoin should do just that and do the city a favour

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm not a fan of the man but can understand why he doesn't like the solution presented. Doing five gigs over five days must take a hell of a lot out of a person and five over three days would destroy you. Take a look at most touring schedules of older singers and generally there's a break between gigs to allow them to relax and rest their voice.
    he's been resting for years ffs. this is his pension sorry comeback tour

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

nm wrote: »
    This was the most obvious solution, just to move them even to the following weekend but it was said that the residents wouldn't agree as it would still break the hallowed agreement.

Apart from the small matter of All-Ireland football quarter finals and qualifiers...

but it does allow resignations, which dear eoin should do just that and do the city a favour

Probably the first time I've agreed with anything you've said on this topic over the past week. Not because of this though, but because if he has his way I'll be cycling to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

well frankly, i couldn't care a less about what someone from the green party says

We have like 25% more expensive fuel, gas, electricity and bans on native fuels because of these knuts, I thought we decimated them, green party is the party illogical Seppuku that is the annihilation of the human race to save the planet.

Do not mention their name here again, please. And thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Not really

Read something that standing outside the fire was on the playlist and the stage was going to go on fire. That in the middle of the day would be a bit meh

This made me laugh so much!!! The fans just wanted a 'show' not a singer sure his cowboy hat might of ignited! How cheesy. It shouldn't of made me laugh so much! Did he have a bunch of people of small stature for 'Friends in low places'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,525 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The main problem in all this is the lack of an appeals process (which does seem extraordinary in this case, as 400,000 people are affected by DCC's definitive decision).

And that is probably the most disappointing thing of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

shamrock55 wrote: »
    So are they going ahead or what or are they still all cancelled

Brooks refuses to compromise at every opportunity given to him so my bet is that all five are off.
    All we saw today was gombeen politicians and the Mexican ambassador getting involved, that coupled with Brooks' conference where he basically said move Owen Keegan aside and let Enda over rule him, 'for the fans and my broken heart', all that mess today just underpinned how daft all this is and all it did was raised hopes of fan unnecessarily because at this stage the only way out is if Garth Brooks compromises and he seems incapable of that thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

well frankly, i couldn't care a less about what someone from the green party says

Pretend somebody else said it then...would you agree or is your political philosophy inextricably linked to you getting to listen to the music of Garth Brooks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How about Constantin Gurdgiev then, who also said that what will be damaging to the country is to flim flam about with our laws and that internationally this sorry episode is not registering unless there's government interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phillo65

Pay me what he's getting and I will do 3 concerts a day for a month.The residents will be happy cause no one will turn up to hear me singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

To illustrate, I'm sure there'd be less public anger if a freak tornado demolished O'Connell St than if the council demolished it to build metal apartment blocks.

I'm not from Dublin - is this how The Spire came to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I doubt they will be changed that much..MCD, Slane and Electric Picnic seem to think they work fine and they have for years.
    I guarantee you the residents and the GAA will thrash out an agreement though. Big win for them, in the driving seat now whatever happens.

If you can step away from the outrage it isn't too hard to figure out why they didn't work out for the promoters and fans this time.

No of course they are not and as you said they will change. What I don't like is people looking to change the laws on a whim, whether they be politicians trying to win some votes or international country singers trying to boost their ego/pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

NewMrs2b wrote: »
    This made me laugh so much!!! The fans just wanted a 'show' not a singer sure his cowboy hat might of ignited! How cheesy. It shouldn't of made me laugh so much! Did he have a bunch of people of small stature for 'Friends in low places'

Stonehenge :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Oh yeah! I remember how the actors who played the audience on Top of the Pops got a big kick out of that when it happened during Brooks appearance back in 199whatever year it was released. Not exactly shocking or groundbreaking, is it?:confused:
    Is it a good song though? Does it need the effects to make it special?

It's extremely cheesey but certainly catchy and has a high sing-along-in-a-crowd rating. I'd say that if you are a Brooks fan it would be highly enjoyable with or without the pyrotechnics. Though obviously the pyrotechnics would be fun, if not super original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

And that is probably the most disappointing thing of all this.

I'm not for the concerts going ahead at all, but the rules really do have to be changed after this debacle. This just proves the current system is far from perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I doubt they will be changed that much..MCD, Slane and Electric Picnic seem to think they work fine and they have for years.
    I guarantee you the residents and the GAA will thrash out an agreement though. Big win for them, in the driving seat now whatever happens.

If you can step away from the outrage it isn't too hard to figure out why they didn't work out for the promoters and fans this time.

No they won't - Kieran Mulvey tired to get them to agree on the independent report and in the end he reported that it was stalemate - the GAA said they had legal obligations for next 2 years and wouldn't back down.

He then stated there should be no more than 9 concerts between 2017 and 2019 - again the GAA said no - they wanted flexibility of having more than this.

When this mess is over - everyone will forget about it and be back to the way it was before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm not for the concerts going ahead at all, but the rules really do have to be changed after this debacle. This just proves the current system is far from perfect.

Other promoters have said they're fine as they are.

• Advertisement

There certainly needs to be some sort of appeal process anyway, an independent one with no political influence though of course.

Although MCD and the Slane guy seem to think the process works well. But they were probably just saying that to get a dig in at Aiken. They also said dialogue with residents is key which was probably another shot at him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement