Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ace2007 wrote: »
    No they won't - Kieran Mulvey tired to get them to agree on the independent report and in the end he reported that it was stalemate - the GAA said they had legal obligations for next 2 years and wouldn't back down.

When this mess is over - everyone will forget about it and be back to the way it was before.

A lot of water and tears has flowed since Mulvey got involved. they still believed they could bully their way to a solution. There will be big losses for the GAA and they won't (it would be criminally silly) get involved in risk like that again without a copperfast agreement. They are answerable to their membership ultimately and Duffy is no fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Other promoters have said they're fine as they are.

It's simply not okay that this nonsense has been allowed happen, I'm not talking a massive overhaul but simply something to ensure this doesn't happen again. Maybe for licenses needing to be granted for stadium gigs before tickets can go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

okay I've got a solution. let him do Fri.Sat.Sun then tge following Fri.Sat.. Please God let this embarrassment end and that priick go back to Nashville asap and never return!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Happyman42 wrote: »
    A lot of water and tears has flowed since Mulvey got involved. they still believed they could bully their way to a solution. There will be big losses for the GAA and they won't (it would be criminally silly) get involved in risk like that again without a copperfast agreement. They are answerable to their membership ultimately and Duffy is no fool.

Is this the membership who were against the sky deal?

GAA care about no one - all they want is the money - if they cared about their membership as you say - there would be child tickets for all Ireland final days - but there isn't.

The GAA and the residence will never agree between them - you'd need the DCC or whoever to make a law stating that they can have no more than x amount.

Take a look at the Aviva - only 10 concerts in last 4 years, no one even tries to screw the residents over there because they know they have the money to fight them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The GAA stated that they have legal obligations to have at least 3 concerts in 2015 and 2016 - and so would not agree to it.

Apologies, the stipulation on number of concerts ran from 2017 to 2019. The key point is that the gaa agreed with mulveys recommendations. The roadmap was there. Keegan chose to go his own way and unnecessarily walked his way into this mess.

• Advertisement

It's simply not okay that this nonsense has been allowed happen, I'm not talking a massive overhaul but simply something to ensure this doesn't happen again. Maybe for licenses needing to be granted for stadium gigs before tickets can go on sale?

What about promoters listening to the feedback they are being given?

If a promoter plays ball the evidence suggests that licencing works. There is no evidence that the DCC makes arbitrary decisions on event licencing

GAA care about no one - all they want is the money - if they cared about their membership as you say - there would be child tickets for all Ireland final days - but there isn't.

The GAA and the residence will never agree between them - you'd need the DCC or whoever to make a law stating that they can have no more than x amount.

Take a look at the Aviva - only 10 concerts in last 4 years, no one even tries to screw the residents over there because they know they have the money to fight them.

Either way, and whatever you think...if the GAA want the money they will have to make an agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Maybe for licenses needing to be granted for stadium gigs before tickets can go on sale?

That I agree with, but apparently that law already exists but just ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

okay I've got a solution. let him do Fri.Sat.Sun then tge following Fri.Sat.. Please God let this embarrassment end and that priick go back to Nashville asap and never return!

IIRC someone already noted that there are matches on that weekend.

If a promoter plays ball the evidence suggests that licencing works. There is no evidence that the DCC makes arbitrary decisions on event licencing

That would help but it didn't happen this time, but what's wrong with what I'm suggesting? If tickets weren't sold before the licensing application failed then this shíte wouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

And that is probably the most disappointing thing of all this.

That old phrase "Every nation gets the government it deserves" comes into play here.

That I agree with, but apparently that law already exists but just ignored.

Didn't know that :p

Tough shít so.

drkpower wrote: »
    Apologies, the stipulation on number of concerts ran from 2017 to 2019. The key point is that the gaa agreed with mulveys recommendations. The roadmap was there. Keegan chose to go his own way and unnecessarily walked his way into this mess.

The GAA didn't agree to them. They stated that they wanted flexibility to have additional concerts about the 3 currently provided.

In fact regarding the 2014/2015 concerts - Mulvey stated that the croke park management and promotors should reduce the number of concerts over these 2 years.

It's all in the report. only a law on concerts in national stadiums will solve this mess.

The GAA didn't agree to them. They stated that they wanted flexibility to have additional concerts about the 3 currently provided.

In fact regarding the 2014/2015 concerts - Mulvey stated that the croke park management and promotors should reduce the number of concerts over these 2 years.

It's all in the report. only a law on concerts in national stadiums will solve this mess.

Most media reports suggest different:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=219277

GAA willing to accept recommendations on concerts at Croke Park
    27 June 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

There was chat earlier in the year that Croke park would refund the amalgamation fees back to GAA clubs because of the Garth Brooks money. Would have been a nice few pound to get back. That's probably down the pan too, if it was ever a goer!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

How about Constantin Gurdgiev then, who also said that what will be damaging to the country is to flim flam about with our laws and that internationally this sorry episode is not registering unless there's government interference.

That's exactly right.

I know from my own work in this field in Netherlands, Germany, Austria, etc, that things do go belly-up with events from time-to-time and because of the prevalence of talkback radio shows, tabloid newspapers and niche TV stations everywhere now, there would be 24 or 48 hours of noise and controversy but...that would then be the end of it.

Reason being is that people in those countries know that the law is the law and officials are tasked with a job to do and no one expects anything like this to be interfered with or overturned.

But there is always a feeling over here that a rabbit will be pulled out of a hat and someone, somewhere will have a word with someone else and something will give, if the 'noise' continues for a certain amount of time.

This has been an accident waiting to happen for a long time with agreed stadium event amounts being ignored and exceeded, tickets being pre-sold illegally before granting of licensing and the whole music permit system being tagged onto various iterations of the planning acts instead of a proper, straightforward music event code of its own.

Only today we have Fianna Fail producing a bill to add another clause or two to the same regulations, having ignored the issue since the last batch of adjustments in 2000, despite being in power of 11 of those 14 years.

The time to lance this boil was after the furore with the local residents over the noise levels and disruptions stemming from the 3 U2 gigs in 2009. In the aftermath of that, for the second time the local residents believed they had an agreement to cap the limit of shows at 3 and now find themselves back in 'Groundhog Day' with the GAA, all over again.

As we can all see and agree, it's bloody complicated but not something that couldn't have been fixed with proper legislation, consistent enforcement and straight-dealing between the stadium and locals.

So I'm with Constantin on this one...

That would help but it didn't happen this time, but what's wrong with what I'm suggesting? If tickets weren't sold before the licensing application failed then this shíte wouldn't have happened.

Because as other promoters have pointed out, it makes things very risky, and is fraught with other difficulties...like how many will attend, what is demand like etc.

I would listen to those who are not fighting to save many millions quite frankly, their opinions at this time are not trustworthy for obviou and understandable reasons.
    MCD and Mountcharles have spoken about this, they make sense, any other system would probably mean less events.

Most media reports suggest different:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=219277

GAA willing to accept recommendations on concerts at Croke Park
    27 June 2014

Do you believe the media or the report published by Kieran Mulvey?

according to your link the GAA "accept Mr Mulvey's recommendations" - and therefore accept the facts that Mr. Mulvey stated that the GAA wouldn't not budge on no concerts in 2015/6 and also want flexibility for more than 9 concerts between 2017-2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

There is the possibility that the promoter did listen to the feedback, and felt that the ensuing controversy could be beneficial. Think about it, if the concerts had gone without a hitch, how much would have had to be paid for this type of media exposure.

Because as other promoters have pointed out, it makes things very risky, and is fraught with other difficulties...like how many will attend, what is demand like etc.

I would listen to those who are not fighting to save many millions quite frankly, their opinions at this time are not trustworthy for obviou and understandable reasons.
    MCD and Mountcharles have spoken about this, they make sense, any other system would probably mean less events.

I only said stadium gigs, Croke Park, Aviva Stadium, Pairc Uí Chaoimh etc. If they were going to be performing in a stadium the likelihood of there being low demand is slim to none.

• Advertisement

Do you believe the media or the report published by Kieran Mulvey?

according to your link the GAA "accept Mr Mulvey's recommendations" - and therefore accept the facts that Mr. Mulvey stated that the GAA wouldn't not budge on no concerts in 2015/6 and also want flexibility for more than 9 concerts between 2017-2019.

I'm just going on what has been reported. Do you have the extract of mulveys report where he states that the gaa rejected his proposals?

There is the possibility that the promoter did listen to the feedback, and felt that the ensuing controversy could be beneficial. Think about it, if the concerts had gone without a hitch, how much would have had to be paid for this type of media exposure.

Which is fine and dandy if it wasn't for the fact that the 5 nights where sold long before he got around to applying for a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Was a matter of time...
    http://youtu.be/R4wxhA26-8A

I'm just going on what has been reported. Do you have the extract of mulveys report where he states that the gaa rejected his proposals?

yep - it's on the croke park website - every detail of it - page 7 - you can see his recommendations and the views of the GAA regarding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i doubt they do now, the GAA need to care about the money as it goes to investment in sports in communities

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I only said stadium gigs, Croke Park, Aviva Stadium, Pairc Uí Chaoimh etc. If they were going to be performing in a stadium the likelihood of there being low demand is slim to none.

Well, how many people (including Aiken, if you believe him) would have thought that brooks could sell 5 nights?
    That's the problem in a nutshell, you have to apply and decide before you gauge demand. There are other issues that make sense too...but I can't recall the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

The key point is that the gaa agreed with mulveys recommendations. The roadmap was there. Keegan chose to go his own way and unnecessarily walked his way into this mess.

Hardly surprising seeing as Mulvey was approached and appointed by the GAA, so he's effectively their plenipotentiary in this affair.

Keegan is effectively the independent referee in this situation as he's unattached to all parties.

Hence his ruling of 3 concerts where the residents wanted 0 and GAA/Aiken/Brooks want 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

For Reals wrote: »
    Was a matter of time...
    http://youtu.be/R4wxhA26-8A

This is classic! Please hid it so it can only be used for a political campaign in the future.

yep - it's on the croke park website - every detail of it - page 7 - you can see his recommendations and the views of the GAA regarding them.

Funnily enough, I can't find it on croke park website or elsewhere. All I see is croke parks acceptance of his recommendations.

• Advertisement

The GAA are now effectively snookered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement