Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

If enda gets in on the crisis and doesn't come away with a win-he will have a no confidence motion, fall on his sword and moan joan becomes taoiseach? This is getting rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Its gone past ridiculous months ago its just all coming to light in last week or so.

DCC knew from first submission if they could licence 3 or 5 nights but acted the maggot.

They thought wrongly the only interested parties was GAA and local residents. Planning department my ass if they didn't forsee the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

:pac:

Way to give yourself an inferiority and blame complex there. DID DCC not grant permission for 3, and then 4 of the concerts ?

They are not the ones that refused to play. Your hero is. I fear for your sanity if you seriously believe that the people of Ireland, or Dublin, or Drumcondra are to blame for the current clusterfcuk. Brooks and Aitken got greedy and pushed the envelope with the 5 night run. DCC pushed back, Brooks got the sh!ts and spun it back to DCC as being for his love of the fans.
    Spare your guilt and shame, it's okay, its not your fault. accept the fact that Garth Brooks is a bit of an ar$ehole, and suddenly the entire situation makes sense.

Perhaps Aitken and Brooks shouldn't have been so presumptive as to sell 400,000 tickets illegally for an event that didn't exist, perhaps DCC are actually taking a stand on this because they are sick to their holes of the entire situation around Croker being used as a venue, and want to teach promoters to obey the protocol that every other business in the country has to.
    Or, maybe, like every other civil service department in the country, they are under budgetary constraints, are under-resourced, have morale issues, and as a result it actually took that long for the applications to get to the top of the pile and get processed. If you know how much documentation is required for an application, please enlighten me, but I'm quite sure its not as simple as a tick and flick application.

If you have some information on the above that you'd like to share, again please do,as I would love to know just how many times they had meetings with DCC about it

There is no precedent for 5 days in a row, there is no precedent for 5 gigs in a year, it was wildly irre****ingsponsible to sell tickets for 5 gigs, they see that in hindsight, but won't put their hands up and apologise to the fans, so they in effect say fcuk the lot of ye, pin on the council and walk away. Everything else in that paragraph is fantasy.

I really wish this would happen.

:Dchill out. :rolleyes: its a concert, not life or death.

And for what it's worth, DCC didn't sell those tickets. that is the core of the issue. Aitken and Brooks jumped the gun.

Could be good name for a song. I'm looking at you Christy Moore, how about a blast of "Jumping the Gun", at least then everyone will see the funny side of it in ten days time when everyone gets down off their pretend horses and finds a better way to spend 5 days and 85 bucks.

Why are you telling people to chill out?
    when it's you who is the one who is absolutely fanatical about making sure you knock anyone who has any point to make about why they think the shows should go ahead!
    You are adamant in your 'mind' that 400,000 people deserve this...
    Why :confused:

And just to make it clear, I don't have a ticket for Garth, but I certainly understand peoples disappointment and anger.. In my mind the only people to have a grudge against 5 shows in a row, should be some residents, that's if there is a grudge to be had at-all at-all...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

visual wrote: »
    However I don't agree about made up laws and half baked agreements.

We all know DCC can do two things either grant licences for 5 nights or mess about trying to save face for poor decision with more unworkable compromises.

GB is playing the PR game well and even dragging poor Enda into it. DCC need a culling as they lost sight of their duity to all the people who live and work in dublin and not just those in the shadow of Croke Park

I think they would have done a great dis-service and set a dangerous precedent to grant the 5 nights. They have put the needs of their residents ahead of the demands of private enterprise, that is what they are supposed to do.

As for Garth Brooks playing the PR game, it just serves to demonstrate what silly ar$ehole he is, the way to settle the topic is not to bring media pressure into it, that is extremely unprofessional, morally deplorable and cannot work without subjecting the whole affair to legal proceedings. It was a bad call to start firing letters over and back with the whole world looking in the window, and it stinks of an arrogant yankee millionaire pi$$ing on the people whose assistance and approval he needs.

Broken heart mebollix.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ardle1 wrote: »
    when it's you who is the one who is absolutely fanatical about making sure you knock anyone who has any point to make about why they think the shows should go ahead!

And just to make it clear, I don't have a ticket for Garth, but I certainly understand peoples disappointment and anger.. In my mind the only people to have a grudge against 5 shows in a row, should be some residents, that's if there is a grudge to be had at-all at-all...

Because of the jackassery of blaming DCC for it.
    I've got no issue with the 3 shows they got permission for.

Walk backwards through the mess, find the first causal fcuk up - Selling 400,000 tickets for 5 shows that they knew damn well they weren't going to get permission for. They got caught up in their own waves of optimism on the good ship "It'll be grand" - Numpties.

Nothing after that fact matters. They caused the whole farce, and should suck it up and admit it.`

Or was it something far more sinister, did they in fact deliberately put the inherent risk of ticket sales onto the gullible public, and admonish themselves from the financial gamble that surround every investment or enterprise ? Personally, I think that is where they were at, sell the risk to the punters, then all they have to do is get DCC across the line and they're home and hosed. If I am correct about it, then I'm glad they got burned, I feel bad for the 400,000 beliebers, but maybe its a good lesson for them too ?

DCC were just doing their job, and to be honest, if the slow process and the final answer were deliberately contrary to Aitken and Brooks' designs solely as a smack in the face for their presumptuosness, then personally I would admire them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I missed his press conference, did he give out details for his world tour? Is Ireland included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

pc7 wrote: »
    I missed his press conference, did he give out details for his world tour? Is Ireland included in that?

He talked a load of patronizing bollocks. It was like a scene from darby o'gill and the little people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Why is it people like you object to anyone who makes a profit in this country? Are companies to be spit on for making money and employing people?

This is baffling to me as well. It's being dubbed by some posters here as "the people" v private enterprise, which is the biggest load of ****e. As if business and enterprise aren't run by people, for people and with people. (Not even counting the 400,000 ticket holding "people" caught in the residents associations cross fire).

Then there's talk of "vested interests", but again only on one side.

No mention of the massive chip on the shoulder of Castleknock resident Eamonn O'Brien, claiming to represent the residents of Croke Park, but who by all accounts has a long and colourful history of fighting the GAA for completely separate reasons and seems to have dragged the Garth Brooks concerts into this personal agenda, despite Croke Park residents now taking to the streets to protest against him and exclaim they weren't contacted at all and he does not represent them.

And then we have the Brian Duff, and the mystery €15,000 euro and a suit donated from the shadows, or more accurately, "unnamed individuals who wanted to take the GAA down", for an injunction.. god knows whats going on there.

The whole thing is rotten to the core and I hope when all is said and done there is a thorough investigation of who was really behind it and why, we'll probably find out all about vested interests then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

nm wrote: »
    The whole thing is rotten to the core and I hope when all is said and done there is a thorough investigation of who was really behind it and why, we'll probably find out all about vested interests then.

If only but this will be forgotten about only to be rehashed on an episode of reeling in the years in ten years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ardle1 wrote: »

I think half the fecking country needs to chill out. Trying to explain to foreigners why this is happening is just bizarre. They look you you confused and go "But it was just a country and western concert. Why are people asking the prime minister to get involved when a concert got cancelled". For some reason they seem to think that a prime minister should be above dealing with stuff like this.

It's bizarre. A concert got cancelled and that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

thelad95 wrote: »
    He talked a load of patronizing bollocks. It was like a scene from darby o'gill and the little people.

Agreed!! I'm sure his fans can see past the patronizing and arrogance but I cant!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sick of talking about this bloody mess, but good grief, people still nonsensically getting stuck into Garth Brooks here, as if he is in any way responsible for this mess.

Garth Brooks is pretty much like many other middle age performers which have had a lot of success: Big ego, control freak, a little too fond of his own voice etc, but why anyone would want to lay blame at his door for this fiasco, baffles me. I can understand people blaming Aiken, but Garth Brooks is just a performer who agreed to do some concerts and got excited and caught up in it the whole thing, as he felt it was perfect for launching his comeback. No sin in that. At the end of the day, all he wanted to do was play five concerts, put on a good show, sell it in the form of a documentary and perhaps release it on DVD. He shouldn't for one second have to deal with all the crap which he has. No matter what you think of him as a person, or a singer.. it makes no odds, as none of this is of his making. Had there been no planning issues here, Brooks would have just have come, performed his gigs without too much fuss, like last time and then been on his merry way. The only reason he is involved in this turmoil is because OTHER people fcuked up and also because our system is largely flawed. The only real surprise is that it hasn't happen before and so please, for the love of God, quit this bloddy witch hunt. Garth Brooks is not the problem here. WE are.

For those of you who are saying things like:

Fair play to the DCC. They stood up to Brooks. About time the little guy won etc etc

What in the name of God are you all talking about? Seriously.

The DCC have done NOTHING right here. Not one thing. They are an embarrassment. From the very start they have made a pig's ear out of dealing with the situation. I see that people are still saying that the DCC made it clear to Aiken and the GAA from the very start that they had issues with the licences and so Aiken should not have applied for them. Well, if that's true. If they were making it clear to them all along, then why did it take almost three months for Keegan to phone Aiken after he received the licence applications? Why wait until three weeks before the concerts are to take place? The DCC knew that 400,000 tickets were sold. They also knew the residents were threatening legal action. So why, with all that going on in the background, did they not feel the need to move a little faster on things? Three months is a long bloody time to sit looking at licence applications, for concerts which 400,000 tickets have been sold for, and not think that perhaps Aiken should know a little sooner than three weeks before the concerts are to take place. A ten year old child wouldn't be so fcuking stupid

I've also noticed quite a few comments stating that Aiken should have applied for the licences earlier than he did and this is the biggest joke of all. I'm actually amazed how early he did apply in fact. It shows just how hard he and the Brooks production team must have worked in Jan / Feb to get the licence applications in as fast as they did. The amount of information about the production that needs to be included in licence applications is astounding. There can be dozens of meetings before applying for a licence, for even a small event and so I can only imagine how much work went into applying for licenses for shows of this scale. I make these points for two reasons: 1) to show that is ludicrous it is to suggest Aiken should have applied sooner than he did and 2) to give some idea of just how discussions between the DCC and Aiken would have been very detailed and very intricate. If the DCC at any point gave indications that they might not grant some of the licences, then it would have been a big deal. It's not something that would been said and missed by all concerned. Suggesting something of that nature, would have silenced a room.

July 2nd: (three months after the licence applications have been made) Keegan decides to phone Aiken. They offer the three licences but Brooks says because he has sold tickets for five concerts, he wants to play five concerts, and makes it known that he doesn't feel it's fair on the fans to cancel two shows at that late stage. Keegan phones them back ten minutes later and says if Brooks "guarantees" to play four concerts, they will put it to the planners.. BUT ONLY if he"guarantees" to do them. If he doesn't do that, then they won't put bother even asking the planners to look at the option of four. This to me is the most absurd part of all. Why should it be a condition for Brooks to "guarantee" he would do four, in order for it would be put to the planners and anyway, why wasn't the five put to the planners to begin with, then four would have been put to them by default. Why also, did we only hear of this offer from Aiken and not the DCC.

If I was Brooks, after been treating like this, I would have told us to go to fcuk ourselves by now tbh. We are a bloody joke in this country and instead of holding our hands up and saying that our system is seriously flawed, where resident agreements can potentially be ignored, almost half a million tickets get sold for concerts which are not licenced, and which may not even get one.. we instead just blame the performer for not bending as far as we would like like him to bend and also for being greedy. For not really wanting to play here at all. For lying. For being disingenuous. Yeah, it's all Brook's fault. How dare he want to play concerts for five nights and film them. How dare he pretend to be fond of this country to the degree that he does. It has to be bull. How dare he complain that 160,000 people are having their tickets refunded for concerts due to take place in three weeks. Tickets which they have held for five months. How dare he suggest we shouldn't be treating our own people so poorly. Greed. Yeah, he's just greedy. Greedy Girth Brooks, ha ha ha.. blah blah bloody blah.
    tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Gergiev wrote: »
    Apart from the small matter of All-Ireland football quarter finals and qualifiers...

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭blueb

JUST ANNOUNCED THIS MINUTE.. ALL 5 SHOWS ARE GOING AHEAD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

don't worry it'll al be forgotten about tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

blueb wrote: »

Got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yeah, right.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Who needs confirmation when it's in bold, that's good enough for me thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes.". Andy Warhol

You've just had yours. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Grayson wrote: »
    Got a link?

Photo inside the city managers office ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't understand why it's so hard for them to allow these 5 concerts to go ahead this once and really clamp down on regulations from next year?

It just can't be that hard to reverse the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

DCC : You can't do 5, you can only do 3.
    Garth : 5 or nothing
    DCC : OK you can do 5 but 2 of them have to be matinees
    Garth : I don't do matinees
    DCC : Bite shíte so Garth. Dermot call Crystal Swing, send them to Nashville, that'll spook the bastárd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Grayson wrote: »
    Got a link?

If it were true then I'd imagine it would be on RTE's famous breaking news line.. No mention at all on the net so I'd seriously doubt the above in bold is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Ignorance of the rules is not an excuse. The promoters should have known better, it is part of their remit in organising events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Considering everyone wants the concerts to go ahead including the residents committees and at this stage nobody is rejecting ,it is only the Council holding back on permitting it.

Just let them go ahead and learn a lesson from it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Considering everyone wants the concerts to go ahead...
    Whoah there, Mr Red!

Everyone? You sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Right so learned folk; 2500+ posts in........

Will the 5 go ahead on consecutive days in some shape or form? Y/N

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

dodzy wrote: »

At this point I'm guessing NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hope not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

N

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement