Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Shame.....? :confused:

Don't poke the fire any further...let the delusion burn out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

No Garth Brooks fans in all of Dublin, no?

No some dubs just seem to think Dublin is a mega sophisticated city surrounded by the "culchie" barbarian. Sad mindset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Yup, and demand has dropped so tough titty for 'em.

Prices have to rise with demand, it's ridiculous to think they shouldn't. If people are willing to spend five times as much as standard price on a hotel room over the Garth Brooks concerts then it's up to themselves, the hotels aren't forcing them to stay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I cant believe that the residents are still being blamed.

I'm deffo no Garth brooks fan (I wouldn't cross the road and ll that....)

The cancellation is generally bad news but the situation should not have arisen.

The promoter sold tickets for a show he failed to produce... that's their fault.

The last 3 may be Mr Brook's Fault alone FFS.

Don't go blaming people who the promoter thought didn't matter, could walk all over and as result disregarded in the Winter when he was adding up the money he thought he would make on the venture!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Having the imf run our affairs was shameful.
    Mass graves full of babies is shameful.
    Child abuse that happened here was shameful.

Not granting a licence for 2 concerts is not shameful.

It is, if the story that he was in fact offered 4 concerts against all the rules in fact.

Pity we did not stand up to the IMF more, that really was shameful. Where were the Croke Park protesters when we really needed them?

The other incidents are [hopefully] history, the babies were not considered and the abuse was sanctioned but not by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What would be embarrassing about that? Hosting sporting events are vastly different to hosting music events and there's never going to be a venue looking to hold five matches on consecutive nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anfromme

conorhal wrote: »
    Their attitude tippifies the boom era greed that said 'to hang with the rules, respect or consequence's there's a few quid to be made lads!' The soft regulation we practice around everything prompted the chancers from all walks of life to once again see how far they could push their luck in an enviornment of weak regulation. [...]
    Aitkin tipifies the attitude of the greedy elites of this country that imagine planning and guidelines don't apply to them, only the little people. It seems to have come as a genuine shock to the man that an automatic exemption would not be rubber stamped.
    Fully agree.
    And it should be a salutary lesson to the fawning fans that Brooks doesn't 'love Ireland', he loves a bit of cash and any embarresment for this debacle should be on his shoulders, for acting like a petulant prima-donna, and not ours for letting down 'Ireland's biggest fan'.
    Indeed. If he was playing for the fans' or the music's sake, he would have played the three shows at least - or relocated, or played 3 at Croke Park and another 2 (possibly later) at another venue like the Aviva. It would have been perfectly easy for him to do; no loss of face because he didn't cancel the other 3 shows, there was no lack of ticket sales, etc.
    But for him, it's clearly just about the numbers. He wanted the 400,000 attendance, the record-breaking 5 sell-outs in a row, and the money.
    The grotesque hyperbole from the handwringers about our 'international reputation is laughable
    Indeed. The rest of the world wasn't even aware Brooks was playing here, nor did they care. Much less do they care that the gigs are now off.
    As for the impact on tourism: Ireland in 2013 had just short of 7 million tourists visiting. Those alleged 70,000 tickets sold outside Ireland pale in comparison.
    Let me assure you: People who look at Ireland from the outside are going to judge it by many things - but not by the cancellation of 5 concerts by a guy many haven't even heard of at a stadium even fewer have heard of.
    As for the impact on future big shows - there have been so many concerts at Croke Park, as well as so many big concerts at other stadiums (the Aviva, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, etc.), plus festivals. Nobody doubts the ability of the Irish entertainment industry to put on shows.
    The only thing that's changed is:
    a) Aiken will have a slightly harder time pulling big artists in as they've shown how to screw things up. That effect will wear off in a year if they can show they've learned their lesson.
    b) People now know that five gigs in a row at Croaker are a non-starter. This is something that maybe concerns U2 and 1D, nobody else. I doubt they're losing sleep over it.
    if we garner a reputation as a country that doesn't bend over backwards to allow foreign firms or artists drive a coach and four through peoples rights if they wave a buck under our noses, that is no bad thing. In fact it's a sign of maturity.
    Fully agree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

guernica wrote: »
    Will Ticketmaster get to keep all the booking fees again??

now, that's an interesting question!!
    we are talking approximately 2.5 million alone on this.

Edit: just saw that it was answered, refunded it is.

What would be embarrassing about that? Hosting sporting events are vastly different to hosting music events and there's never going to be a venue looking to hold five matches on consecutive nights.

People are trying to say that this will be the sole reason why we won't get the Rugby World Cuo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

People are trying to say that this will be the sole reason why we won't get the Rugby World Cuo.

And the Olypmics too, you can forget about that.

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Inexplicably, Al-Jazeera are ignoring this story and leading with "Israel steps up deadly Gaza offensive".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People are clearly talking out of their arses.

zagmund wrote: »
    And the Olypmics too, you can forget about that. z

Darn it, an I had a tender in to build a millennium stadium to host them alongside Croker.

Prices have to rise with demand, it's ridiculous to think they shouldn't. If people are willing to spend five times as much as standard price on a hotel room over the Garth Brooks concerts then it's up to themselves, the hotels aren't forcing them to stay there.

Is that meant to be a counter to what I said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

Could someone tell me how locked down is locked down when there is a concert. Are there barriers placed around the roads? Can residents go out at all?

Someone i know went to Neil Diamond concert whenever Diamond was there. Would there have been problems then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Having the imf run our affairs was shameful.
    Mass graves full of babies is shameful.
    Child abuse that happened here was shameful.

Not granting a licence for 2 concerts is not shameful.

WTF has any of this got to do with a thread on a concert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

We will be thrown out of the UN aswell! :eek:

Inexplicably, Al-Jazeera are ignoring this story and leading with "Israel steps up deadly Gaza offensive".

As mentioned in the other thread, while the whole world watches Ireland, Israel makes sneak bombing runs in Gaza, it's all his fault, isn't it?

WTF has any of this got to do with a thread on a concert?

Because people keep saying this makes them ashamed to be Irish when there's far more disgusting things that people prefer to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

On the Fox News landing page right now:

l9O92RN.png

I'm quite proud of us. I wish this country had more people like the DCC and the Croke Park residents. Not afraid to stand up to big money trying to ride over them.

Bizarre decision by Brooks to cancel the remaining three gigs. He could've book-ended his world tour by finishing in Ireland with the other two gigs sometime in 2015. Bit of a diva, to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Garth Brooks "To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another". Interesting that if Garth has to choose between his children, he'd rather they all died.

bazza1 wrote: »
    We will be thrown out of the UN aswell! :eek:

Abusive and degrading treatment of a foreign national. Oh the shame. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

How many times have five GAA matches been played in a row at Croke Park?

All ireland football quarter final weekend sometimes had 6 matches in a Row.Minor match 2 football quarter finals on Saturday, then the same again on Sunday sometimes a quarter final could be played on August which would mean 3 days of matches in a row.A few times there was a match on he bank Holiday Monday

The concerts should have went ahead too many tickets had been sold the Dublin county Council ballsed this one up.they could have let the 5 in a row concerts go ahead and then force the GAA to sign a contract saying there would be no concerts n Croke Park for the next 2 years

Umaro wrote: »

I'm quite proud of us. I wish this country had more people like the DCC and the Croke Park residents. Not afraid to stand up to big money trying to ride over them.

Bizarre decision by Brooks to cancel the remaining three gigs. He could've book-ended his world tour by finishing in Ireland with the other two gigs sometime in 2015. Bit of a diva, to say the least.

I love the way they try to insinuate that people power is a bad thing. "Tiny neighbourhood" "ironically named Croke park"

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

We better keep the eyes peeled for a late night Government interim budget being slipped in on this big news day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    he'd rather they all died.

:rolleyes:

Hotels - how many people do you think bought fully refundable hotel rates? You know, the more expensive ones. Not as many as bought the non-refundable better value ones. They will still be coming to Dublin.

How many of the overseas folks will cancel their non-refundable flights and stay at home? Not as many as will end up coming here anyway.

It's not like we've had an outbreak of zombies - people will still come to Dublin that weekend.

I haven't seen it anywhere, but I would have thought this was a *prime* opportunity for some enterprising artistic organisations to put on some alternative events. Just as long as they don't try to book them in Croke Park they should be fine.

For all the 'lovers' who keep saying (or did until this afternoon) that the best thing for everyone would be to just put on the 5, let the residents suck it up, and promise (fingers crossed behind our back) not to have any at all, at all, at all next year - do you not get the point that 5 days continuous disruption at your home is just not something you should have to tolerate. If I plan on hosting 5 days of AC/DC (or Sonic Youth Mafia House Club or someone that youngsters like) at the youth club at the end of your road, are you really telling me that you wouldn't be objecting? I know it's not the same as Croke Park, but you have to recognise that people have the right to object and to be heard.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

l9O92RN.png

Brooks tour killed by residents of a tiny neighborhood, Ironically named Croke Park :)

You beat me to it, I was just going to say the same. Choose which 3 of the 5 you want to keep . . . arragh, sure they're all a pain in the ass, keep them all, I never really liked them.

z
    SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Garth Brooks "To choose which shows to do and which shows not to do, would be like asking to choose one child over another". Interesting that if Garth has to choose between his children, he'd rather they all died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

l9O92RN.png

Is that why they are begging for this to be fixed now?!
    How proud are you of someone putting in false objections on behalf of some of the residents who knew nothing about them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement