Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Didn't we have the monorail song yesterday as well? Father Ted quotes along next so.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

What about those stupid,political yobs?

They'll be given already have cushy jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Didn't we have the monorail song yesterday as well? Father Ted quotes along next so.

Careful now! Down with this sort of thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

dandyo wrote: »
    They'll be given already have cushy jobs

Was Garth Brooks sent here by the devil?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How very dare you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread would never go around in circles.

(Unlike the monorail)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Can we just put this in the bin along with Saipan and Hand of Frog.

The quicker we get back to important issues like building the Escalator to Nowhere the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

dandyo wrote: »
    Careful now! Down with this sort of thing!

Not as good as the 'is there anything to be said for another mass' one that we've had on multiple occasions

hynesie08 wrote: »
    How very dare you sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thread would never go around in circles.

Touché.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Not as good as the 'is there anything to be said for another mass' one that we've had on multiple occasions

Are you telling me that there will not be any mass? Well fcuk this thread so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Mr_Red wrote: »

Amend the law relating to appealing DCC decisions based on Licence agreements.
    exactly. isnt Edna and his pals bringing in a law about Majority in teh Seanad because they currently dont have one or something. so they can bring in or amend laws that need fixing to get over a hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Can't wait until they eventually go ahead, because they will.
    I know this because The big ship sails on the ally ally oh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Why.

1. He wants to play in Ireland over 5 nights

2. 400,000 people have tickets to go to the 5 nights

3. There is nothing in the way but this " Fixed Rule " based on Rejections

4 Oh wait...... There are no more rejections

5 ????????????????

6 50 million Profit Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehah

Can the change it...... Yes they can

Bring it through the Dail - The Courts and whoever else needs to sign off......... the appeal the decision and pass the licences

Garth Brooks can want to ride a giraffe through the Phoenix Park but it doesn't mean he'll be let.

The residents got organised and won. Why would they be vocal now? I'm aware a few attention seekers in the area have come along for their 10 minutes of fame but they are a minority. Where were they for the last six months?

It's over and the calls for it to go ahead and the circus surrounding it is laughable at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

Can Ticketmaster not start the issuing of refunds today.....even only a couple of thousand or so.
    This farce needs to end as soon as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Ranchu wrote: »
    Garth Brooks can want to ride a giraffe through the Phoenix Park but it doesn't mean he'll be let.

The residents got organised and won. Why would they be vocal now? I'm aware a few attention seekers in the area have come along for their 10 minutes of fame but they are a minority. Where were they for the last six months?

It's over and the calls for it to go ahead and the circus surrounding it is laughable at this stage.

How is this

27000 people in the area - 250 rejections = 0.93% of the area signed rejections

can you work out your maths please

How is this

Do you have figures for residents who signed a petition for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

How is this

27000 people in the area......whoever done that Math ?
    FYP:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

hollow victory for a minority to be claiming

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How is this

27,000 people in the area-0 letters in support of the concert before the license decision (which they were free to write)= 0% of residents in favour of the concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Now THAT I would (possibly) pay money to see :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

stmol32 wrote: »
    Yes there is a world of difference in those causes, I agree but the point I was making was about the dire consequences predicted by Brookes, Christy Burke, Aiken et al.

Regardless of how the situation got to this stage cancelling the concerts won't actually cause any consequences to the ticket holders other than inconvenience and disappointment.

It causes damage to Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, when a massive event like this is cancelled because of bureaucratic stupidity. Again, if it was cancelled because of an act of God, it wouldn't make Ireland look bad - it makes Ireland look bad because in this case, it's Ireland's fault, or more specifically, it's the fault of the people who run Ireland. That's why it makes us look ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Why.

1. He wants to play in Ireland over 5 nights

2. 400,000 people have tickets to go to the 5 nights

3. There is nothing in the way but this " Fixed Rule " based on Rejections

4 Oh wait...... There are no more rejections

5 ????????????????

6 50 million Profit Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehah

Can the change it...... Yes they can

Bring it through the Dail - The Courts and whoever else needs to sign off......... the appeal the decision and pass the licences

Or y'know, GB could just agree to play three dates now and try to arrange to come back to play two more at a later date. All Aiken needs to do is uphold the tickets for the later gigs. I can't imagine he would have much trouble selling out two more concerts at a later time if some people sought a refund.

It causes damage to Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, when a massive event like this is cancelled because of bureaucratic stupidity. Again, if it was cancelled because of an act of God, it wouldn't make Ireland look bad - it makes Ireland look bad because in this case, it's Ireland's fault, or more specifically, it's the fault of the people who run Ireland. That's why it makes us look ridiculous.

Very few people care outside of Ireland. It's daft to think that over the hundreds of large successful events held here this year that this one will cause catastrophic damage to tourism. It won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

With the ships and equipment still on it's way to Ireland I am getting the feeling that the promoters etc are playing with the DCC's pressure button.
    The concerts are in what 2 weeks, there obviously won't be any compromise this week anyway so I see this fiasco just going on and on until at the end GB will get his 5 days.
    The fact that a country singer is able to influence our Government to the point where new legislation gets passed overnight to come up with a solution or is just embarassing.
    Feck him, he was given 2 choices and refused both and yet they are still trying to come up with a 3rd to make him happy.
    Selling tickets before getting a licence... I mean WTF?
    Of course it isn't all "our" fault but also of the promoters and GB himself. Saying he would crawl to Enda and beg to play and then to be given the 3 concerts plus the chance to play the other two concerts further down the line only to refuse it is just being spoilt/stubborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ridiculous. Many very big concerts have taken place in Ireland over the decades, without any problems. What damages Irelands reputation is our government becoming involved in this matter. Brooks has no respect for the laws of this country. If his fans had any self respect they would tell him to stick his concerts up his arse.

Why in the name of Jesus is this lard ass hill billy so popular. I find him crigeworthy. Oh well, I can only hope if old lardass doesn't lose a few stone he'll die of a heart attack within the next few years and spare us any more misery.

His attitude shows comtempt for this country and his fans and damages his own reputation. It shows a lack of professionalism and hopefully it will damage his come back. Maybe other promoters will have taken note of his behaviour and won't work with him. He is a relic of the 90's, he should have been left there.

Here is a perfect way to sum up the GB fiasco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hx6s_hpI8w

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

"If the prime minister himself wants to talk to me I will crawl, swim, I will fly over there this weekend, sit in front of him, I will drop on my knees and beg for those 400,000 people"

That's what Garth said yesterday. Under further questioning about the actual planning decision he said that it's fair enough that the City Planner made the call but sometimes you have to have someone higher up to move that guy aside. The law and a legally made decision do not seem to matter to Garth.

Garth likes to bend the rules and wants us to do so for his concerts. He already had the rules bent for him when he flew from the US to Ireland and forgot his passport yet calls were made to see that he could enter Ireland passport free. So the very first thing that Garth did upon entering Ireland was to have the rules bent for his benefit. And now he wants them bent again, godammit !

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/how-superstar-garth-brooks-almost-didnt-make-it-to-croker-29936259.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Do you have figures for residents who signed a petition for it?

Officers are currently focusing their inquiries on nine residents, who say either that their signatures were forged on the submissions or their home addresses were falsely used.

But gardai said last night they were likely to extend their investigation to include all of the 375 people named in the complaints.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gardai-to-interview-residents-30420577.html#sthash.JwUNkmZc.dpuf

375 = 1.39%

2662 people didnt complain

and to add now

Earlier, a petition from 900 residents mainly from the Ballybough area calling for all five concerts to go ahead was handed in to the meeting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28203830

Dublin City councillors have backed calls to allow all five Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement