Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

bear1 wrote: »
    With the ships and equipment still on it's way to Ireland I am getting the feeling that the promoters etc are playing with the DCC's pressure button.
    The concerts are in what 2 weeks, there obviously won't be any compromise this week anyway so I see this fiasco just going on and on until at the end GB will get his 5 days.
    The fact that a country singer is able to influence our Government to the point where new legislation gets passed overnight to come up with a solution or is just embarassing.
    Feck him, he was given 2 choices and refused both and yet they are still trying to come up with a 3rd to make him happy.
    Selling tickets before getting a licence... I mean WTF?
    Of course it isn't all "our" fault but also of the promoters and GB himself. Saying he would crawl to Enda and beg to play and then to be given the 3 concerts plus the chance to play the other two concerts further down the line only to refuse it is just being spoilt/stubborn.

Refunds begin on Tuesday. That will be the end of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Play the 3 gigs and shut the fuck up.

There's people being killed in Palestine ATM for christ's sake.

Phoebas wrote: »

There was a much better one created by a fellow boardie in one of the other threads. Unfortunately this is the one that seems to be getting all the attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

The sooner these refunds start the better to put an end to this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Solar power! When will people learn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Tony EH wrote: »
    Play the 3 gigs and shut the fuck up.

aren't the Palestine people firing rockets into Israel or did you forget to mention that.

Anyway. back on topic

The sooner these refunds start the better to put an end to this farce.

It should really be addressed by both Aiken and Garth at this stage with a definitive stance. Although the concerts were officially cancelled there are still those that believe there'll be a last minute Hail Mary play. It was dead and buried until the posturing that began yesterday. Just put people out of their misery already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Flem31 wrote: »
    This farce needs to end
    yesterday
    Go away Mr Brooks. I'd be banged up in boards prison to say what I really think of you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well at least they don't have to listen to Gareth Brooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Flem31 wrote: »
    This farce needs to end as soon as possible

I think I'm happy to let this farce go on for another while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well at least they don't have to listen to Gareth Brooks.

Yeah... cause I'd rather be blown to bits than listen to GB :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Officers are currently focusing their inquiries on nine residents, who say either that their signatures were forged on the submissions or their home addresses were falsely used.

But gardai said last night they were likely to extend their investigation to include all of the 375 people named in the complaints.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gardai-to-interview-residents-30420577.html#sthash.JwUNkmZc.dpuf

375 = 1.39%

2662 people didnt complain

and to add now

Earlier, a petition from 900 residents mainly from the Ballybough area calling for all five concerts to go ahead was handed in to the meeting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28203830

Dublin City councillors have backed calls to allow all five Garth Brooks concerts to go ahead.

The Gardai investigating the letters may find that some were forged. I'd imagine the vast majority were not.

The residents of Ballybough had all the time in the world to make their position know before the gigs were cut to three.

At the end of the day though I believe that not all the residents are equal in this. While their May be 27000 people in the area people who will be inconvenienced to a greater degree should hold more weight in the decision. This would include people who's roads are closed off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

Enda Kenny has been travelling the world saying "Ireland is Open for Business" - well Enda now is your chance to Prove It....

Put up or Shut up!!!

Why would anyone vote for FG the next election ... if they can't stop Ireland's reputation being dragged through the mud ...it's only 5 concerts how hard could it be to sort out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

A way back in 1994 I was offered as the gift of a free ticket to a Garth Brooks concert then - at the time, I was suffering from a noticeable skin related medical condition. I declined my good friend's offer. I no longer suffer from this medical condition. So relieved though now about my refusal of this ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

There was a much better one created by a fellow boardie in one of the other threads. Unfortunately this is the one that seems to be getting all the attention.

Do you mean this one???

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

combat14 wrote: »
    Enda Kenny has been travelling the world saying "Ireland is Open for Business" - well Enda now is your chance to Prove It....

Put up or Shut up!!!

Why would anyone vote for FG the next election ... if they can't stop Ireland's reputation being dragged through the mud ...it's only 5 concerts how hard could it be to sort out!
    "Fine Gael have done nothing to combat the corruption and nepotism in this country's planning that almost ruined us! They need to be voted out!"

"Vote out Fine Gael! They refused to invoke some corruption and nepotism to override a lawful planning decision!"

The farce here are the people talking out of both sides of their mouths just because it suits them to have gigs go ahead for the purpose of stroking Garth Brooks's ego.

Brooks's whole justification is that he would feel bad about people missing out on the majesty of his show. He's a musician. People aren't paying to see a big screen and lights, they're paying to listen to you play music. The stage show is for the performer's ego and not the crowd's enjoyment.

If there wasn't something going on in the background, ticketmaster would have already started the refund process. Pretty sure that everyone involved is trying to call everyone else's bluff, and that chances are 3 gigs are going to happen but Aiken and Brooks are hoping that someone will cave to public opinion.

It is of the utmost importance that DCC stand firm on their 3 dates, otherwise it'll go to prove that we've learned nothing in 6 years of recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Put up or Shut up!!!

The party you want is the 90s Fianna Fail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I would think the reason why residents want it to go ahead in some shape or form now is for the legacy fund of 500k and who can blame them. Without getting into the 'we aren't prostitutes' stance and 'its not about the money', to lose that amount of money for an area is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

pc7 wrote: »
    I would think the reason why residents want it to go ahead in some shape or form now is for the legacy fund of 500k and who can blame them. Without getting into the 'we aren't prostitutes' stance and 'its not about the money', to lose that amount of money for an area is huge.

Plus the vitriol that has been thrown at them is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I wish Christy Burke would shut the fcuk up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

There seems to be an obsession regarding the number of local residents who objected.

Earlier this week we found out that the Minister for Agriculture lobbied the Minister of Finance regarding a tax break for inactive farmers......apparently the Dept of Finance was against this but the tax break is going to happen

So one person's proposal was more important than the wishes of a number of people.....and one person approved it...........and we seem to all have accepted that........strange what bothers us really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Grayson wrote: »

I hope it was worth it.

If I was one of the 98.61% of residents there that didn't mind the gigs I wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

nm wrote: »
    I hope it was worth it.

If I was one of the 98.25% of residents there that didn't mind the gigs I wouldn't be happy.

Not to mention all those whose names have been used to falsify the objections.

This is not as black and white as everyone would like to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Grayson wrote: »

All they actually did was object legally, through the proper channels, like they have done many times before. They have been more than tolerant imo, if the nuisance is real (and I know it is for most) I would be willing to kill at this stage.
    Aiken/ Brooks, with their petulance and attempted bullying, have ensured they are in the driving seat now though, they will be respected if the GAA want this stadium to be used for extra revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Ranchu wrote: »
    Garth Brooks can want to ride a giraffe through the Phoenix Park but it doesn't mean he'll be let.

The residents got organised and won. Why would they be vocal now? I'm aware a few attention seekers in the area have come along for their 10 minutes of fame but they are a minority. Where were they for the last six months?

It's over and the calls for it to go ahead and the circus surrounding it is laughable at this stage.
    what residents organized? a few who by the sounds of it have other issues with the GAA and who used the concerts as an issue to get at the GAA.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Put up or Shut up!!!

The government even contemplating getting involved in this farce is far more damaging to Ireland's reputation. As are the people calling for government involvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The government even contemplating getting involved in this farce is far more damaging to Ireland's reputation. As are the people calling for government involvement.

Why? they are elected to speak on behalf of the Country

They are the Countries committee

320,000 people want the decision changed who live in this country... they want the ruling overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Totally agree, the other one is excellent and asks for Aiken and his staff to stay behind, very apt, well worth finding again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

El Weirdo wrote: »

Can people stop claiming this is damaging "irelands" reputation as its simply a load of crap.

This is about a tiny minority of people in one part of dublin...do people think the "world's media" or anybody outside of those involved actually give a damn.

The hysteria over this non-event is absurd and people claiming the outside world is somehow looking on thinking "im not going to ireland now if they cant arrange a concert i wasnt even going to" they need their heads looked at.

This whole thing is like listening to liveline on repeat and the arguments are just as nonsensical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm sorry to reduce it to this, but . . . . bwaahahahahahhaaaa.

We're a tourism & entertainment hub now are we?

I'm not so sure I would be calling us that to be honest.

z

It causes damage to Ireland's reputation as a tourism and entertainment hub, when a massive event like this is cancelled because of bureaucratic stupidity. Again, if it was cancelled because of an act of God, it wouldn't make Ireland look bad - it makes Ireland look bad because in this case, it's Ireland's fault, or more specifically, it's the fault of the people who run Ireland. That's why it makes us look ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement