Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

what residents organized? a few who by the sounds of it have other issues with the GAA and who used the concerts as an issue to get at the GAA.

Which ones do you think I might be referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The government even contemplating getting involved in this farce is far more damaging to Ireland's reputation. As are the people calling for government involvement.

In fairness, having been initially outraged by Kenny's involvement, I think he stopped short of interfering politically in the process. He just got people together to exhaust any possible solutions and ha been careful to say that there should be no interference or undermining of the planning laws.
    If anything we should be proud that the law has held up here, I know I am at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Mr_Red wrote: »
    Why? they are elected to speak on behalf of the Country

They are the Countries committee

320,000 people want the decision changed who live in this country... they want the ruling overturned.
    The vast majority of people in this country, normal people, would rather they sorted out the rest of the mess we're in at the moment, before they start pissing about with a fucking concert. People need to get a grip.

Morons, the fucking lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Did Garth get a cabinet post?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Totally agree, the other one is excellent and asks for Aiken and his staff to stay behind, very apt, well worth finding again.

*Aitken. According to the video :P

It's been posted on the previous page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

zagmund wrote: »
    I'm sorry to reduce it to this, but . . . . bwaahahahahahhaaaa.

We're a tourism & entertainment hub now are we?

I'm not so sure I would be calling us that to be honest.

z

yes we are.....What did you think Ireland did besides Tourism , Agriculture and Services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

dandyo wrote: »

No but there is now a Ministry of Garth Brooks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Can people stop claiming this is damaging "irelands" reputation as its simply a load of crap.

You are probably right, what damage has been done is done already.

The ongoing saga just reenforces this damage, ironically the more stupid it gets, like Garth swimming to a bended knee at the Prime Minister's feet ~ tends to bring mirth and does ease the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

The Licences were rejected due to complaints from the residents committee.

The residents committee are no longer rejecting it and requested the 5 concerts to happen.

If they didnt reject it in the first place the 5 gigs would have happened im sure

so there is someone in this country who can make a decision on this

who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭ebbsy

He couldnt be any worse than the feckin gobshytes that are there already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Red Nissan wrote: »
    You are probably right, what damage has been done is done already.

The ongoing saga just reenforces this damage, ironically the more stupid it gets, like Garth swimming to a bended knee at the Prime Minister's feet ~ tends to bring mirth and does ease the damage.

Take for example the RTE correpsondent at the press conference speaking on behalf of the "irish people"..eh excuse me lady the vast majority of people dont care a damn so dont feel your speaking on my behalf to that chubby cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Not to mention all those whose names have been used to falsify the objections.

This is not as black and white as everyone would like to make it.

Actually it is. The legislation is there in black and white and the decision should be made based on the legislation that is in place.

Doesn't matter who opposes the gigs (forged signatures or not), who wants the gigs to go ahead for 5 nights, who wants 3 gigs, what american president gets involved. The decisions should be based on current legislation and that alone.

The whole fiasco is a joke. From beginning to end its been ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes, he's the cabinet doorknob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

We really do think we are the centre of the universe here. Ireland is not an entertainment hub. It is miniscule in the scheme of things. Hence the only people, at Brooks' presser, who gave a crap about the Irish gigs, were Irish journalists.

The law has been applied here. And everyone wants a stroke pulled. Same people who will be in other threads bashing the country and talking of gombeenism etc. You are all gombeens. We are in the ****ter as a country becauise of you people silently facilitating crap like this. You're too stupid to realise it and you wont like hearing it, but it's all your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

He wanted 5 or none at all.....apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why? they are elected to speak on behalf of the Country

They are the Countries committee

320,000 people want the decision changed who live in this country... they want the ruling overturned.

I said this earlier in the thread. I had to explain this to a foreigner who was amazed that people expected our prime minister to get involved. Their attitude was "A concert was cancelled, so what?". It's not a national emergency. It was a country and western concert that got cancelled. It's unfortunate, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

My proposal to have a cd player with his music playing for 5 nights still stands if the Government would like to engage with me and my fee will be a lot less than what this ****e singer is charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

aren't the Palestine people firing rockets into Israel or did you forget to mention that.

Anyway. back on topic

yeh, with no casualties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

secman wrote: »
    He wanted 5 or none at all.....apparently

I call the big one Bitey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Tony EH wrote: »
    yeh, with no casualties.

So that makes it right then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

yes we are.....What did you think Ireland did besides Tourism , Agriculture and Services?

Well, hub wouldn't be the word I would choose.

As for the 70,000 overseas people. Do you know how many *entire* planes it would take to ship 70,000 people in? Depending on the size (say 150 people) you are looking at about ~500 planes. In a couple of days. With no other passengers. I don't know for sure, but I haven't heard of a huge influx of that number planned. Either that or they are all coming over on the ferry.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Does anyone think that the 'forged' objections could actually have been done by those in favour of the concerts in order to discredit the 'real' objectors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Grayson wrote: »
    I said this earlier in the thread. I had to explain this to a foreigner who was amazed that people expected our prime minister to get involved. Their attitude was "A concert was cancelled, so what?". It's not a national emergency. It was a country and western concert that got cancelled. It's unfortunate, but that's it.

Exactly, in my job I'm dealing with people at risk of becoming homeless, not able to access benefits for their illness, a whole load of REAL problems based on anomalies and policy issues with the system and legislation in this country. Every day people are being genuinely unfairly impacted by legislation that needs changing. Yet people are ****ting themselves over legislation relating to a concert and expect rules to be changed for a concert. Its infuriating. People cant afford their groceries let alone a concert ticket and yet the focus is on legislation surrounding the licensing of a few concerts.

Do you reckon Garth likes UHT Milk? Is there any demand for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

Does anyone think that the 'forged' objections could actually have been done by those in favour of the concerts in order to discredit the 'real' objectors?

It doesn't really matter. There could have been just one objection. It's the quality of the objections over the number.

So that makes it right then?

No, it makes it completely and wholly disproportionate.

Way to absolutely miss the point though. ;)

Well done! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Daith wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter. There could have been just one objection. It's the quality of the objections over the number.

That's what people don't understand about the process, one objection if deemed legitimate could have stopped the whole thing.

Grayson wrote: »

Exactly, it's a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Ha ha WHAT?

Those in favour of the concerts did nothing, because they weren't expecting this madness.

Just like I'm not going to get out there and march for the Arctic Monkeys to happen tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Did the Mexican ambassador sing any songs yet? Talk was this was going to be escalated to at least La Cucaracha Level at one stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement