Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It's Mr Brooks who has decided to cancel the whole thing as he's clearly not making enough money out of just 3 gigs (which was the original plan) and he seems to be unwilling to compromise or return to the original plan.

So, basically that's a big two fingers to the Irish fans and another big two fingers to Irish planning law.

To me it looks like Mr Big Shot wants to override Irish law just so he can make a load of money out of very expensive tickets and when he can't do that, he's gone off in a huff.

I'm not a fan of country and western music or the artist in question, but I certainly wouldn't be spending a cent on anything with his name on it after that fiasco.

You know nothing about ticket prices clearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

nm wrote: »

Obviously #1 = right to appeal, so the greater good can have a say in future

I'm all in favour of an appeal process but not if it's going to be managed by a vested interest like a politician trying to win some votes. Any appea has to be totally independent with no political influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Iang87 wrote: »
    You know nothing about ticket prices clearly

I do, but to the people who bought them they're an expensive purchase.

A lot of his fans wouldn't be regular concert goers.
    It'd have been a 'big night out' for quite a lot of middle aged country and western fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Under the worldwide deal, Garth, who in 2000, was certified by the RIAA as the#1-selling solo artist in U.S. history,
    Artist.................... Certified Units in Millions
    BEATLES, THE................. 177
    PRESLEY, ELVIS.............. 134.5
    BROOKS, GARTH............. 134

RIAA Wesite

He's either lying or since 2000 Elvis has sold more albums from beyond the grave than Garth Brooks has in retirement.Maybe this is why he is going digital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I do, but to the people who bought them they're an expensive purchase.

A lot of his fans wouldn't be regular concert goers.
    It'd have been a 'big night out' for quite a lot of middle aged country and western fans.

All the above has nothing to do with the DCC in fairness and shouldn't.

• Advertisement

I'm all in favour of an appeal process but not if it's going to be managed by a vested interest like a politician trying to win some votes. Any appea has to be totally independent with no political influence.

The evidence (years of successful events) shows that if you use the system and consultative process properly and listen to what you are being told then there should be no need for an appeals process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

And given that there is a media circus, there is thousands and thousands of people that want it changed, it has cost the country 50mil or whatever the figure is, it has resulted in 70k tourists either cancelling or being put out/wasted trip, then maybe.. just maybe.. it should be changed to a better process?

NO! It shouldnt! You still dont get it do you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    RIAA Wesite

He's either lying or since 2000 Elvis has sold more albums from beyond the grave than Garth Brooks has in retirement.Maybe this is why he is going digital

Are you sure this is accurate Peppa?
    There is no reference to Logue and McCool anywhere on this web site

And given that there is a media circus, there is thousands and thousands of people that want it changed, it has cost the country 50mil or whatever the figure is, it has resulted in 70k tourists either cancelling or being put out/wasted trip, then maybe.. just maybe.. it should be changed to a better process?

There's nothing particularly wrong with the process. They had no permission to run the extra gigs and they just assumed they'd get it. There was nothing to indicate that was possible.

Blaming the system or the council isn't really very fair.

To be perfectly honest too, Dublin isn't dependent on tourism and actually if you factor in the amount of disruption to traffic, people not going to town to spend in the shops as per normal etc. The €50m predicted spend can actually end up being a lot less of an impact on the local economy than you'd think.

Ireland in general isn't very dependent on tourism at all but where it does have a big impact is in rural areas where it creates local jobs. So, in reality a big concert in Dublin doesn't necessarily have very much impact.

What it will do however is damage our reputation as a concert destination. But, we don't really have much of a reputation as that anyway.

I think Ireland should be promoting itself as a festival destination and also needs to really figure out what it's doing with nightlife. This whole notion of having binge drinking until 2am at which point everyone's chucked out on the street (as applies in most towns and cities here) does nothing for building as sophisticated night life and clubbing scene that could be attracting lots of high spend tourism and creating jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The evidence (years of successful events) shows that if you use the system and consultative process properly and listen to what you are being told then there should be no need for an appeals process.

Yeah that's true I suppose. But it still wouldn't hurt just in case you get a ridiculous decision with no merit (not that this was one of those)

• Advertisement

Yeah that's true I suppose. But it still wouldn't hurt just in case you get a ridiculous decision with no merit (not that this was one of those)

I think in 'Event Planning' it would just make it even harder and more fraught to get any gigs going. But no harm in proposals if somebody has a 'interference proof' way of doing it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A major purpose of a democracy is to ensure that the rights of a minority are not over-ridden by the wants of a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CapricornOne

Apparently refunds have already started - people who bought via Viagogo and Stubhub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Apparently refunds have already started - people who bought via Viagogo and Stubhub

They're not event organiser refunds at all, that's just tout sites covering themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

About time, this turkey is goosed and the sooner the powers that be come out and say so the better so everyone can move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

They're second hand sites.

Original owners has to wait till Tuesday.

dandyo wrote: »
    Are you sure this is accurate Peppa?
    There is no reference to Logue and McCool anywhere on this web site
    Or Michael Jackson - he only sold 300,000,000 albums. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Peist2007 wrote: »
    NO! It shouldnt! You still dont get it do you?!

Yes I do, and yes it can, and probably will be in the future after this spectacular mess, whether you can accept it or not.

Or Michael Jackson - he only sold 300,000,000 albums. :D

The Rocking Gazelles? (Hi Gigi)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

RIAA Wesite

no its to do with original releases not "digitally remasterd" versoins of the same album or Gretest Hits 527. basically all his ablums sold as thy were released or something like that

• Advertisement

Three Elvis's !!!!!!!!!!!!

Faolchu wrote: »
    no its to do with original releases not "digitally remasterd" versoins of the same album or Gretest Hits 527. basically all his ablums sold as thy were released or something like that
    Some achievement by Elvis to overtake him so - even death can't halt the King :D
    He's probably be looking for a month in Croke Park

Good point - I wonder if Garth Brooks was dead would he get the go ahead for all 5..

Garth Brooks: And no matter where you are, you always say It's the wildest town in the whole damn world.
    Enda Kenny: So when you said it in Dublin last year you didn't mean it?
    Garth Brooks: Yeah sure I did, but only because Dublin really is the wildest town in the whole damn world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Garth Brooks: And no matter where you are, you always say It's the wildest town in the whole damn world.
    Garth Brooks: Yeah sure I did, but only because Dublin really is the wildest town in the whole damn world

You mean.....
    YES!!!!! We put the brick on croke park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

In fairness I don't think Enda would even have the backbone to comeback with a retort :pac:

Woo Hoo - El Salvador

Happyman42 wrote: »
    All the above has nothing to do with the DCC in fairness and shouldn't.

Did I say it had? Please read my posts above!

The planning situation hasn't changed at all and should have been well understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

iguana wrote: »
    A major purpose of a democracy is to ensure that the rights of a minority are not over-ridden by the wants of a majority.

Legitimate rights. Not just pathetic selfish nimby fascism..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I want politicians on any appeal board. Politicians that we vote for. That's what democracy means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement