Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The evidence (years of successful events) shows that if you use the system and consultative process properly and listen to what you are being told then there should be no need for an appeals process.

And what about all of the events that did not take place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What a balls up, and how completely stupid to ask Brooks to play two shows in a day.

How the f++k do people get these jobs ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Some achievement by Elvis to overtake him so - even death can't halt the King :D
    He's probably be looking for a month in Croke Park

I think the figures listed on RIAA is overall sales or something, so that would include digitally remasterd and hits "found down the back of the sofa" stuff. I think teh Garth "biggest seller" is just based on original releases. it would be hard to top Elvis given some version of his greatest hits is release every second friday on the month. Thats how i understood it when Garth broke that record years ago, but i'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Anyone who bought tickets to see Garth Brooks is.......

1) a muck savage

2) a culchie

and

3) an extreme bog warrior.

This is true and there are NO exceptions. I know this because I saw him in Wembley Arena about 20 years ago and I'm a desperate culchie myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Say what you will, he's dedicated to his fans.
    Will you still be saying this when all 5 concerts are refunded and none on his fans see him?
    But these would be inferior as the production/lighting effects etc don't work as well in the bright daylight.
    But as you said yourself, he had no problem bringing his inferior stage show to ireland when he was only doing 2 or 3 gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

ebbsy wrote: »
    What a balls up, and how completely stupid to ask Brooks to play two shows in a day.

Well his daddy set up the company, Then gave it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Piliger wrote: »
    I want politicians on any appeal board. Politicians that we vote for. That's what democracy means.

Have a look at Iguana's excellent post at 15:00 for an answer to that.

ebbsy wrote: »

we vote for someone who then appoints them coz they're buddies from the local Rugby/cricket/GAA/Snooker/handball/tiddlywinks club

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Well his daddy set up the company, Then gave it to him.

We're in the grease business now, Son!

Cienciano wrote: »
    But as you said yourself, he had no problem bringing his inferior stage show to ireland when he was only doing 2 or 3 gigs.

he said himself when it grew from 2 to 3 then 3 to 5 shows the performance itself was changed. so what was planned for the original 2 shows went in the bin and they ramped it up for 5 shows.

• Advertisement

Faolchu wrote: »
    he said himself when it grew from 2 to 3 then 3 to 5 shows the performance itself was changed. so what was planned for the original 2 shows went in the bin and they ramped it up for 5 shows.

Why doesn't he ramp it back down again?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

So the new alternative has been given to Brooks:

5 concerts - you have em.

The 160,000 fans missing out - Back in and can get to see everything.

DCC - Happy as it fits the 3 day license.

Local Residents - Also happy with this as an alternative.

Gardaí: Have confirmed they are able to organise this even with the Matinee and Evening concerts.

Aiken: Will be able to make their money.

Local Resturants and Pubs: Win

Garth Brooks: No I wont compromise. Don't you know who I am!!!

I cant understand why he refuses at this stage.
    He doesn't loose out on any money.
    No fans miss out on seeing the concerts.

Only person complaining is him and there is no reason to do so.

Any GB fans reply to this and explain why he still is right for not showing up!!!!

Why doesn't he ramp it back down again?
    I'll ask him next tim I see him ;)
    probably because the kit was changed? completly different show, bigger stage, more screens etc? who knows. thats just what he said at a press confrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Piliger wrote: »
    And what about all of the events that did not take place ?

They didn't comply with regulations?

We have planning laws for a reason.

I'll ask him next tim I see him ;)
    probably because the kit was changed? completly different show, bigger stage, more screens etc? who knows. thats just what he said at a press confrence.

Was the point that the entire profit margin from shows 1-3 were eaten up by this new set up and he needed 4-5 to make any money from the run of gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Buying into the hype, I'm afraid.

There was never a question that they would just keep hupping new shows in there to build up the hype, they announced the third gig on the day that the first two went on sale, and the next two within a week. It's all about building the hype. They knew from the outset that they wanted five shows.

There is no reason in the world why they can't scale back the size of the show if that's the concern. He's a musician. The stage show is all filler. As I've said twice on this thread now, Brooks fans would be delighted (in fact arguably more delighted) if he turned up on stage with a band and a guitar and little else.
    All of this nonsense about not wanting to disappoint fans and being unable to justify the show for 3 days is complete bull.

I'm still not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a managed exercise in hype, and they have a plan B organised to bring the show to Semple or Lansdowne or something, which they'll pull out of the bag on Monday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

So let's see.

We have a bunch of residents complaining about disruption. I lived beside Croker for 6 years. The disruption isn't that bad, the noise is harmless and the crowds aren't any worse than those coming out of the pubs on Friday nights. And to top it all off, they all moved into their houses knowing there was a huge stadium beside them. Most of the residents really aren't bothered by the concerts (speaking from experience).

A small but vocal group of residents, an incompetent promoter and a spineless council have now damaged our reputation & economy. We can't even host a few concerts without ****ing it up. It will be a long time before any other band/artists will risk using Croker....and possibly stay clear of Ireland altogether as it is too much hassle/risk.

I hope the promoters are sued by those who bought tickets & are heavily fined for this. I also hope we get clear legislation covering large events like this.

I agree 1000%. Brooks has behaved with integrity and class all through this whole fiasco. The legislation that allows a few dozen sour fascist cranks to control what other people do is a complete disgrace and reverts our country back to the pigs in the parlour image in the eyes of the rest of the world.

They knew they were living beside a big stadium and should be told to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

zagmund wrote: »
    I'm sorry to reduce it to this, but . . . . bwaahahahahahhaaaa.

We're a tourism & entertainment hub now are we?

I'm not so sure I would be calling us that to be honest.

z

We're not, but we could be if there weren't so many stupid and restrictive licensing laws in this country. The fact that Garth Brooks chose Ireland to begin his comeback tour says a lot. Damon Albarn said that Dublin was his favourite venue during the Gorillaz tour a couple of years ago. We should be encouraging this kind of thing rather than having so many conditions, ifs and buts attached to putting on an event.

Ireland seems to have restrictive laws across the board (with regard to everything, not just events) which are more restrictive than other European nations. Why is this? I've just been having a similar conversation about the IMB banning supplements you can get pretty much anywhere else in Europe. How many other EU countries have a total ban on category II fireworks? How many other EU nations require off licenses to close at 10PM?

Ireland has too many rules and regulations. When we're passing laws which don't exist anywhere else in Europe, it seems fair to ask why, no? Do you think a farce like this would have occurred if Brooks was to play Wembley Stadium? Wembley had a grand total of 12 concerts in 2009 and I recall absolutely no sh!tstorm surrounding that.

If you're ok with living in a nation which tries to micro manage so much then fair enough, personally I'm utterly sick of it. There doesn't need to be so much bureaucracy and nanny statism attached to every single thing, and it's damaging to the country in a wide variety of very obvious ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

seamus wrote: »

I'm still not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a managed exercise in hype, and they have a plan B organised to bring the show to Semple or Lansdowne or something, which they'll pull out of the bag on Monday morning.

Bang on. Didnt garth Brooks do advertising or marketing in college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Half-assed shows. We're f*cking bending over backwards to accommodate him, taking a massive security risk which will be a nightmare for everyone to organize. The only thing that's half-assed at this stage are his excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

It has in fact worked like a dream thus far. It's been a fantastic exercise in demonstrating that money and political clout doesn't give you carte blanch to bypass the laws.

Worked like a dream??? Are you having a laugh or what.

So you think that it is a fine system that results in 160,000 people told, just three weeks before concerts are due to take place, that they no longer will be, on planning grounds. It's honestly fine with you that the Dublin City Council was in regular discussions with a promotor, an artist and a venue for over five months (yup, talks began long before licence applications were made) and yet they only decided to phone Aiken on July 2nd, to tell him that the DCC weren't going to grant licences for two of the concerts. That's a system working like a dream is it? Or how about an official that pertains to be making decisions based on planning regulations, yet still decides to allow three concerts above what residents, that he is suggesting that he is looking out for, agreed to. How could he, with any semblance of a straight face, say he can't, or won't, allow five concerts because of those planning regulations, yet then allow three of them.. which fly in the face of that same fcuking regulation.

Aiken / Brooks applied for those licences three months before that stupid Dell Boy - esque phone call was made by Keegan offering three concerts but then asking for an amateur spit and a handshake in the form of a guarantee, before he was willing to go to the planners with a view to granting licences for four concerts. So bloody much for planning laws and wanting to adhere to them. He's a bloody joke. Nothing shy of a fcuking embarrassment and all done mere weeks before the concerts are to take place lets no forget, when thousands of hotel rooms and flights have been booked. The bloody applications were in with the DCC for THREE MONTHS.. and don't give me no crap about ten week window for objections. Ha. What a joke. The DCC can refuse licence applications at any point they fecking well choose. If Keegan was motivated by planning laws, then there was no reason whatsoever to drag his feet on the decision, his reason was there and this was at a time when the residents were threatening legal action. Waiting as long as he did is inexcusable. It's not like there are many other events in Dublin this summer which close to half a million bloody people are due to attend.

Sure Aiken and Croke Park should not been applying for more concerts as 1D has used up the three but the law says that further licences can be granted and Aiken is a promotor. It's farcical to suggest that Brooks, Aiken and Croke Park are all lying when they say that at no stage during the planning discussions did the DCC give them the impression that any of the licences applications might be refused, other that is than the usual ones of health and safety concerns not met at least. Why would they make up this story between them all. Brooks management were part of these discussions. Does anyone honestly think his management would for one second let him sink production money into producing a series of concerts where there is even a small chance that might not get the go ahead on. Why give themselves that headache. It makes no sense whatsoever and the fact that Keegan tried to do a quick handshake type deal for four concerts SCREAMS that he and the DCC are bull****ting about making it clear all along that they had major issues with the concerts.

Nobody wants a situation in Ireland when money talks and all else is ignored. You folks that keep suggesting that this is about the little guy winning, are waaaaaayy off the mark. None of you have the monopoly on not wanting the days of the brown envelopes back. Nobody does. So quit suggesting that anyone who wants these concerts on, somehow believes in corruption. What a load of sanctimonious bollox. The system is broken, it needs fixing and instead of whinging about Garth Brooks not bending it his stance on playing five concerts, look at the real issue that has PUT him into this position and that is our idiotic licensing laws and failure to deal with the Croke Park issue in a way that would have made it all but impossible for them be reneged on.

I hope when the Oireachtas look at this, Keegan gets his arse handed to him for the calamity which he has made of this and anyone else in the DCC who's fingerprints are on it also. The way they have conducted themselves is incredulous. It's amazes me that anyone would suggest otherwise, let alone claim it's working like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

I'm still not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a managed exercise in hype, and they have a plan B organised.

Last minute "Shock Availability" tickets for the London O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

thelad95 wrote: »
    Half-assed shows. We're f*cking bending over backwards to accommodate him, taking a massive security risk which will be a nightmare for everyone to organize. The only thing that's half-assed at this stage are his excuses.

Massive security risk? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So you think that it is a fine system that results in 160,000 people told, just three weeks before concerts are due to take place, that they no longer will be, on planning grounds.

I can't be bothered reading another of your pro Brooks.Aiken rants but have to respond to this nonsense.

The plight of the 160,000 has nothing to do with planning legislation or it's implementation. They need to take their 'plight' up with the seller of the tickets.
    And the other 250,000 need to take their impending 'plights' up with the person who refuses to play licenced gigs.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    They didn't comply with regulations?

We have planning laws for a reason.

So much for the argument that it works.

Was the point that the entire profit margin from shows 1-3 were eaten up by this new set up and he needed 4-5 to make any money from the run of gigs?

i think that was an effect of the ramping up rather than the justification for ramping up.

I think the point was that if the 3 allowed shows went ahead with the performance at its current size then profits across the board would be low or nonexistant. but i dont think thats the whole reasone behind the cancellation a lot of it does have to do with dissapointing people.

When he first started doing the shows in Vegas he insisted ticket prices remained low, it wa sonly in teh lats year that they creaped up very high. Likewise when he played 9 nights in Kansas city back in 08/09 ticket prices were if i remember right $35 a go. low ticket pricing has always been something he has tried to achieve. even for teh upcomming world tour he has suggested that adeal with ticket master has been reached to get a rock bottom price and keep tickets as low as possible. he said something about that yesterday.

when people call him greedy etc remember all the money doesnt go to him, theirs Aiken, the GAA, the security companies, Vendors inside, logistics, production etc . yeah he gets his chunk of change to no doubt but rememeber this is a guy that set up a charity called Team Mates for Kids and if memory serves me right he personally funds 100% of its operational costs from his own pocket so any funds raised by the charity goes to its work it carries out.

on the topic of the 2 shows a day, remember its not only him and his band that would have to be out there twice. as everyone has rightly said teh local would be inundated for a full day, pretty much from 10AM through til midnight. on top of that again the vendors and security companies would have to have people out for that duration and with the Work Time act requiring an 11 hour break between shifts they may not have been able to step up to the plate to do their side of the job. so its not all on him when its said its not logistically possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd say at this stage they're just postponing the inevitable. Once the gigs are officially cancelled, people will begin doing credit card chargebacks if they're not refunded.

These days it would be relatively unusual not to have booked by card.

AFAIK, you can do a chargeback on Visa Debit a lot easier than on the old Laser Card platform too. So, fingers crossed most people will get their money back quite speedily.

So you think that it is a fine system that results in 160,000 people told, just three weeks before concerts are due to take place, that they no longer will be, on planning grounds. It's honestly fine with you that the Dublin City Council was in regular discussions with a promotor, an artist and a venue for over five months (yup, talks began long before licence applications were made) and yet they only decided to phone Aiken on July 2nd, to tell him that the DCC weren't going to grant licences for two of the concerts. That's a system working like a dream is it? Or how about an official that pertains to be making decisions based on planning regulations, yet still decides to allow three concerts above what residents, that he is suggesting that he is looking out for, agreed to. How could he, with any semblance of a straight face, say he can't, or won't, allow five concerts because of those planning regulations, yet then allow three of them.. which fly in the face of that same fcuking regulation.

Aiken / Brooks applied for those licences three months before that stupid Dell Boy - esque phone call was made by Keegan offering three concerts but then asking for an amateur spit and a handshake in the form of a guarantee, before he was willing to go to the planners with a view to granting licences for four concerts. So bloody much for planning laws and wanting to adhere to them. He's a bloody joke. Nothing shy of a fcuking embarrassment and all done mere weeks before the concerts are to take place lets no forget, when thousands of hotel rooms and flights have been booked. The bloody applications were in with the DCC for THREE MONTHS.. and don't give me no crap about ten week window for objections. Ha. What a joke. The DCC can refuse licence applications at any point they fecking well choose. If Keegan was motivated by planning laws, then there was no reason whatsoever to drag his feet on the decision, his reason was there and this was at a time when the residents were threatening legal action. Waiting as long as he did is inexcusable. It's not like there are many other events in Dublin this summer which close to half a million bloody people are due to attend.

Sure Aiken and Croke Park should not been applying for more concerts as 1D has used up the three but the law says that further licences can be granted and Aiken is a promotor. It's farcical to suggest that Brooks, Aiken and Croke Park are all lying when they say that at no stage during the planning discussions did the DCC give them the impression that any of the licences applications might be refused, other that is than the usual ones of health and safety concerns not met at least. Why would they make up this story between them all. Brooks management were part of these discussions. Does anyone honestly think his management would for one second let him sink production money into producing a series of concerts where there is even a small chance that might not get the go ahead on. Why give themselves that headache. It makes no sense whatsoever and the fact that Keegan tried to do a quick handshake type deal for four concerts SCREAMS that he and the DCC are bull****ting about making it clear all along that they had major issues with the concerts.

Nobody wants a situation in Ireland when money talks and all else is ignored. You folks that keep suggesting that this is about the little guy winning, are waaaaaayy off the mark. None of you have the monopoly on not wanting the days of the brown envelopes back. Nobody does. So quit suggesting that anyone who wants these concerts on, somehow believes in corruption. What a load of sanctimonious bollox. The system is broken, it needs fixing and instead of whinging about Garth Brooks not bending it his stance on playing five concerts, look at the real issue that has PUT him into this position and that is our idiotic licensing laws and failure to deal with the Croke Park issue in a way that would have made it all but impossible for them be reneged on.

I hope when the Oireachtas look at this, Keegan gets his arse handed to him for the calamity which he has made of this and anyone else in the DCC who's fingerprints are on it also. The way they have conducted themselves is incredulous. It's amazes me that anyone would suggest otherwise, let alone claim it's working like a dream.

Majority of that tripe a cut and paste from yesteday? It was wrong then and it's still wrong today.

Please stop mentioning the decision coming 3 weeks before the gigs. This had been explained to you a million times, what don't you understand?

Why is it farcical to think that Brooks, Aiken, CP are lying? Aiken on camera said on Tuesday that Brooks asked him could he do matinees? Yet yesterday he ruled them out? Someone's telling lies there.

• Advertisement

It has in fact worked like a dream thus far. It's been a fantastic exercise in demonstrating that money and political clout doesn't give you carte blanch to bypass the laws.
    400,000 get fcuked. That's your idea of a dream situation. Interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement