Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks concerts cancelled - **READ FIRST POST FOR MOD NOTES**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Faolchu wrote: »
    i think that was an effect of the ramping up rather than the justification for ramping up.

I think the point was that if the 3 allowed shows went ahead with the performance at its current size then profits across the board would be low or nonexistant. but i dont think thats the whole reasone behind the cancellation a lot of it does have to do with dissapointing people.

When he first started doing the shows in Vegas he insisted ticket prices remained low, it wa sonly in teh lats year that they creaped up very high. Likewise when he played 9 nights in Kansas city back in 08/09 ticket prices were if i remember right $35 a go. low ticket pricing has always been something he has tried to achieve. even for teh upcomming world tour he has suggested that adeal with ticket master has been reached to get a rock bottom price and keep tickets as low as possible. he said something about that yesterday.

when people call him greedy etc remember all the money doesnt go to him, theirs Aiken, the GAA, the security companies, Vendors inside, logistics, production etc . yeah he gets his chunk of change to no doubt but rememeber this is a guy that set up a charity called Team Mates for Kids and if memory serves me right he personally funds 100% of its operational costs from his own pocket so any funds raised by the charity goes to its work it carries out.

on the topic of the 2 shows a day, remember its not only him and his band that would have to be out there twice. as everyone has rightly said teh local would be inundated for a full day, pretty much from 10AM through til midnight. on top of that again the vendors and security companies would have to have people out for that duration and with the Work Time act requiring an 11 hour break between shifts they may not have been able to step up to the plate to do their side of the job. so its not all on him when its said its not logistically possible.

Why did Aiken say it was Brooks who suggested the 2 shows a day on Tuesday then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Piliger wrote: »
    400,000 get fcuked. That's your idea of a dream situation. Interesting.

how are 400,000 getting fcuked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So much for the argument that it works.

It works if you comply with legislation...are you saying legislation should be ignored and that all events should be given the go ahead regardless?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Majority of that tripe a cut and paste from yesteday? It was wrong then and it's still wrong today.

Please stop mentioning the decision coming 3 weeks before the gigs. This had been explained to you a million times, what don't you understand?

Why is it farcical to think that Brooks, Aiken, CP are lying? Aiken on camera said on Tuesday that Brooks asked him could he do matinees? Yet yesterday he ruled them out? Someone's telling lies there.

Yes they are. And it's not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

seamus wrote: »
    He's a musician. The stage show is all filler. As I've said twice on this thread now, Brooks fans would be delighted (in fact arguably more delighted) if he turned up on stage with a band and a guitar and little else.
    I've been watching that clip where he runs up a ramp and does a little jump then runs back down. Like a skateboarder without a skateboard. If he doesn't do that then what's the point in even listening to the music. Are you even a gB fan?
    I'm still not entirely convinced that this whole thing isn't a managed exercise in hype, and they have a plan B organised to bring the show to Semple or Lansdowne or something, which they'll pull out of the bag on Monday morning.

Now you just sound really stupid. How could you think they would have something like that lined up and nobody knows about it? Why do you think there a need to hype an already sold out run of shows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

One of the most astonishing things in all of this is how people are telling us that those in DCC should lose their jobs, residents are getting death threats, yet the GAA are getting no criticism and have somehow absolved themselves of any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

seamus wrote: »
    There is no reason in the world why they can't scale back the size of the show if that's the concern. He's a musician. The stage show is all filler. As I've said twice on this thread now, Brooks fans would be delighted (in fact arguably more delighted) if he turned up on stage with a band and a guitar and little else.

I agree all you need to do is look at teh amount of people that travelled to vegas to see him on his own with a guitar.

I'm not buying into anything. the original plan was 2 shows or as you said hype it up and release the third all are sold out. but the additional 2 night were not planned for. it was said before by either him, aiken, the GAA or his PR people at the time of the ticket sales. but you probably wont believe that which you are entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,767 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Effects wrote: »
    I
    Now you just sound really stupid. How could you think they would have something like that lined up and nobody knows about it? Why do you think there a need to hype an already sold out run of shows?

For the DVD, makes a better story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

hynesie08 wrote: »
    how are 400,000 getting fcuked?

The majority of them just need to phone their credit card issuer, they'll actually have chargeback / insurance possibilities.

The only people who'd be at risk are those who've paid cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Please stop mentioning the decision coming 3 weeks before the gigs. This had been explained to you a million times, what don't you understand?

No amount of explaining will change the fact that it's f*cking ridiculous. The gigs were announced in February. The council should have had a decision by the end of May or even April, and if that isn't possible then that's what needs to be changed about the licensing laws. For a modern nation to be that ridiculously bureaucratic is a joke. It doesn't take five months to make a decision on something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

This had probably been said already, but any chance we can take him up on his offer to swim? If he got in the water now and started off due east, the entire problem should be solved within about a half hour.

Whatever about Mulvey's ridiculous comments that our 'international reputation was in shreds' when the concerts were cancelled, we really are beginning to look like some kind of crazy now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

400,000 get fcuked. That's your idea of a dream situation. Interesting.
    Brooks is the one who said 400,000 need to get fcuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That's BullS*it. He keeps talking about the 160,000 missing out. Here was his chance to show he ment it.

Music cant be enjoyed because its daytime?
    Its a concert not a fireworks display.

I can see the reviews now. "I couldn't enjoy any of his classic songs because the sun was up."

If he cared for his fans he would be all over this as an opportunity to ensure they get to see their favourite "MUSICIAN"

Oh and his loathing for Matinee Shows was very apparent when he did them daily at the Wynn Theatre in Las Vegas in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭fta93

No amount of explaining will change the fact that it's f*cking ridiculous. The gigs were announced in February. The council should have had a decision by the end of May or even April, and if that isn't possible then that's what needs to be changed about the licensing laws. For a modern nation to be that ridiculously bureaucratic is a joke. It doesn't take five months to make a decision on something like this.

The council would have had a decision earlier if Aiken had managed to apply for a licence when the tickets went on sale. Yet for some reason Aiken waited 4 weeks. Yet its only DCC's fault. Go figure.

Jaysus...they can't make a decision without an application. It takes a statutory 10 weeks to make a decision on an event and longer if you are building something.

Why did Aiken say it was Brooks who suggested the 2 shows a day on Tuesday then?

no idea, he did it before for Kansas city in 08/09 and again in vegas, but they were indoor shows. maybe it was a brain storming session and all possible ideas got thrown about like slane, aviva, marley park, the internationsl space station. who knows. maybe its just Aiken trying to say "look we're trying to come up with solutions here" i cant honestly say. but liek i said any 2 shows a day he's done that I know of happened at indoor locations like teh Staple Centre in Kansas and Wynn hotel in Vegas

This had probably been said already, but any chance we can take him up on his offer to swim? If he got in the water now and started off due east, the entire problem should be solved within about a half hour.

We could take bets on him catching the ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

no idea, he did it before for Kansas city in 08/09 and again in vegas, but they were indoor shows. maybe it was a brain storming session and all possible ideas got thrown about like slane, aviva, marley park, the internationsl space station. who knows. maybe its just Aiken trying to say "look we're trying to come up with solutions here" i cant honestly say. but liek i said any 2 shows a day he's done that I know of happened at indoor locations like teh Staple Centre in Kansas and Wynn hotel in Vegas

So the solution is, we rush through emergency planning permission to put a roof on Croker, get it built in a week, then he will do the matinee shows, and everyones happy.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Jaysus...they can't make a decision without an application. It takes a statutory 10 weeks to make a decision on an event and longer if you are building something.

And that's what I'm objecting to - beyond 10 weeks being ridiculous for an event (which it is), I find the whole concept of full planning permission for an event in the first place to be ridiculous. There should be an event license which has its own set of rules, not a subsection of Ireland's already widely acknowledged idiotic joke of a planning permission system.

My personal opinion is that relations have broken down between Aitken/Brooks...explains the matinee nonsense when he has already ruled it out at press conference.
    What is happening now is Aiken trying to demonstrate he is doing all he can to mitigate awards against him in a court case. Writs will be flying soon, mark my words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

For the 1000th time

Application lodged - 17 April
    Consultation/assessment period - 10 weeks (as per the legislation)
    Decision date: 2 July.

So they were 3 days late but that's hardly a capital offence.

The issue, if there is one is therefore not with DCC.

muddypaws wrote: »
    So the solution is, we rush through emergency planning permission to put a roof on Croker, get it built in a week, then he will do the matinee shows, and everyones happy.

well the government of the past did it for the banks and the government of the present are doing it now because they have a minority in the seanad. Third time is a charm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr_Red wrote: »
    All resident committees has said it should go ahead.
    They wanted it not to go ahead, and threatened legal action, so it didn't go ahead.

Due to massive backlash, they now want it to go ahead, but due to process they put in place, it looks very unlikely. And even if it does, a couple of the residents have let it be known that even if it does go ahead, they'll bring an injunction forward to stop it from going forward...

And that's what I'm objecting to - beyond 10 weeks being ridiculous for an event (which it is), I find the whole concept of full planning permission for an event in the first place to be ridiculous. There should be an event license which has its own set of rules, not a subsection of Ireland's already widely acknowledged idiotic joke of a planning permission system.

It does have a set of rules and a transparent (ee DCC website) process that Aiken was fully aware of. You can't short circuit that process legally, Aiken was aware of that too. His strategy was plainly based on pressure 'the event is too big to be refused'...he failed magnificently. What has happened since is attempts to further pressure and damage limitation. The DCC have had nothing to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Well I don't think we should give up the 3 night if Brooks doesn't want to play.

We should offer up Croker to new Irish Bands who wouldn't get a chance to play at a Stadium like this.

Might even be the start of a new regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

For the 1000th time

Application lodged - 17 April
    Consultation/assessment period - 10 weeks (as per the legislation)
    Decision date: 2 July.

So they were 3 days late but that's hardly a capital offence.

The issue, if there is one is therefore not with DCC.

I never said it was and my post didn't refer to DCC specifically, just Ireland's over-regulated climate across the board. Full planning permission shouldn't be required for a feckin' concert, and a mandatory 10 week period for something like an event or concert is unimaginably stupid. Concerts and events should be treated entirely differently to planning permission for a building, and what I'm objecting to here is not only the laws for this, but laws across the board in Ireland which effectively say "If you want to do anything here which it's piss easy to do in another country, there are a bajillion conditions and rules we're going to attach first". As I said earlier, I'm not just talking about concerts. I provided examples of off licenses, nightclubs, fireworks and sports supplements - all of the above are restricted in Ireland to a level which the rest of Europe would laugh at. Why do we live in a country where there are so many rules attached to everything? It's unnecessarily bureaucratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

The amount of "ignorance" and hair brain solutions as in "just sort it" , "fcking useless govt" "Get Obama on the case" " " just change the law" are beyond belief, do they not have newspapers, radios, TV up in them hills.

secman

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Which has sweet FA to do with the DCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

So is this whole Brooks fiasco over yet? Dear Jesus please let the refunds start soon so we can just put it behind us. I'm sick to death of hearing about this twat. I can't stand him and it's just ridiculous now. Fans coming on this defending the guy are nuts. He had a chance to perform and he didn't. Doesn't give a rats ass about his fans, take the hint and move on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement