Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pho

Options
  • 08-07-2014 6:45pm
    Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello All,

Does anybody know where to get a decent pho in Dublin? I'm just back from London and it's pretty big over there. I usually make my own using tom yum paste but would like to find a restaurant that does it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dublin City from Cooking & Recipes as you are more likely to get better recommendations/advice from locals rather than foodies from all over the country & beyond.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Pho Viet - Parnell Street
    Pho Ta - Behind the Central Bank
    Aobaba - Capel St

Listed in order of deliciousness imo.

P.S. Tom yum paste to make pho? Surely not...

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

Well I just mean the big noodley bowls of soup. I'm not a fan of the Waggamamma ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Has anyone tried Pho Saigon on Amiens Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Pho Ta is pretty good and Aoaba is cheap for a decent portion.

Also Tom Yum paste??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Moved to Dublin City from Cooking & Recipes as you are more likely to get better recommendations/advice from locals rather than foodies from all over the country & beyond.

tHB

Pho Viet Parnell street is the best in Dublin.

Pho ta is pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Pho ta is pretty awful.

Why, may I ask? Was going to give it a ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Pho Viet is as authentic as you get...and delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tom Yum paste is Thai, has nothing to do with Pho.

Are there any Vietnamese places on the southside?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AsianDub wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Pho Saigon on Amiens Street?

Haven't been myself yet, but only asked my brother, who has been there, about it tonight.

He thought it was very good. He would be a fan of Pho Viet too. He was chatting to the guy that runs (owns?) Pho Saigon and said he seems like a genuine guy. He doesn't do deliveries at the moment and it seems like he's having trouble competing with the 'pizza chips and a drink for €5' type outlets in that area.

Unfortunately, it's a location of death unless Irish Rail re-open that DART entrance and give some passing trade. Terrible pity, when someone is trying to make an honest go of it.

spurious wrote: »
    Haven't been myself yet, but only asked my brother, who has been there, about it tonight.

He thought it was very good. He would be a fan of Pho Viet too. He was chatting to the guy that runs (owns?) Pho Saigon and said he seems like a genuine guy. He doesn't do deliveries at the moment and it seems like he's having trouble competing with the 'pizza chips and a drink for €5' type outlets in that area.

Unfortunately, it's a location of death unless Irish Rail re-open that DART entrance and give some passing trade. Terrible pity, when someone is trying to make an honest go of it.

Where is it? Might make a visit today or tomorrow.

AsianDub wrote: »
    Why, may I ask? Was going to give it a ago.

Should have said relatively awful. Pho Viet is much better.

The pho in Pho Ta is poor enough. Not nearly as tast as Pho Viet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where is it? Might make a visit today or tomorrow.

Pho Saigon - across the road from Connolly station, more or less under the bridge.

Can anyone confirm if Pho Saigon is still open? Planned on makign a visit at lunchtime today but Menupages page is gone and facebook seems inactive.

Thanks

Can anyone confirm if Pho Saigon is still open? Planned on makign a visit at lunchtime today but Menupages page is gone and facebook seems inactive.

Thanks

Confirmed open.

I'd rank this as best pho in Dublin.

spurious wrote: »

Reading back over this:

I reckon I was speaking to the same guy in Pho Saigon. Very nice chap, and like you say genuine and trying to make a decent go of it, deserves any Pho lovers support for sure. They are doing take away now as well. I think this will be my usual lunch now given I'm only 5 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Do they delivery does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was in aobaba or whatever its called on capel st... the place is tiny, but its decent enough for less than 7quid for pho. DO a lunch cup of pho for a fiver as well.

Must try pho Saigon, been to pho viet before and it was fine, although the sriracha they had there was not good though, seemed to be mixed with ketchup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I bought a takeaway baguette from pho Saigon for lunch today. Place was packed
    Baguette was excellent . I've had a good few dishes from here and it's a great place.
    People working there seem very nice

• Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/ThePhoSaigonDublin

Was in it myself recently. Lovely food. Might sneak a visit next week for lunch.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

omg it looks dope, I cycle past there errr day and never noticed it lol

Pho Saigon seems to have shut its doors a couple of weeks ago.
    What a pity, I really hoped they'd be able to stay in business.
    They never got the footfall needed I guess

Pho Saigon seems to have shut its doors a couple of weeks ago.
    What a pity, I really hoped they'd be able to stay in business.
    They never got the footfall needed I guess

The closure of the IE suburban Connolly entrance killed that stretch of businesses. A terrible shame. He was a lovely guy, doing lovely food. Amazes me he is gone while the likes of Kanoodle go from strength to strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yeah, it's a real shame about Pho Saigon. Nice people.

I was in one day when the main guy was having a meeting with what I imagined to be a local enterprise board adviser, and it didn't look like a good news meeting. It was always too quiet to have lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

alastair wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a real shame about Pho Saigon. Nice people.

I was in one day when the main guy was having a meeting with what I imagined to be a local enterprise board adviser, and it didn't look like a good news meeting. It was always too quiet to have lasted.

From their Facebook

"I closed for refurbish
    We reopen on December
    Thanks u for visit"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

I had Pho bo for the first time in Opium rooms last night after seeing this thread.

Quite liked it but not sure how people would rate it.

Next on the list is to try Pho Viet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yukihino

Dont know why people like pho viet?I am vietnamese and I think pho ta is the most authentic. The second place is aobaba.It is kind of southern mixed with chinese style because the owner is not Vietnamese origin.Pho viet is like instant noodle for me.Will never come back there

Ranchu wrote: »
    From their Facebook

"I closed for refurbish
    We reopen on December
    Thanks u for visit"

Re-opening next Tuesday according to their Facebook. Now called Saigon City.

• Advertisement

Saigon city re-opened today per sign I saw in window.
    I shall be heading to them for Pho today.

Advertisement