Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative Beginner Help

Options
  • 08-07-2014 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, as the title suggests, I'm a beginner in fish-keeping. I did own three goldfish for a hearty 10 years before they passed, and am interested in keeping a small aquarium again.

We've not gotten anything yet, waiting for my little miss to be born and then we're going to start getting things. So first, tank (since I know this needs to be cycled). What size would y'all recommend for someone who wants a small amount of diversity? We don't have the space for anything massive, especially not something that needs its own stand - something that would sit comfortably on top of a kitchen counter would be perfect.
    Second, breeds. I'd obviously want something hardy and want to maintain a small level of diversity while still being relatively nice to look at. AKA pretty, hardy fish and maybe 2-3 types tops. If you could also give me some sort of numbers ratio for suggested fish, that would be great (not half asking for much :o ).
    Lastly, shops. Tanks are easily gotten and we'll be keeping an eye out in shops and on second hand websites for good deals, but getting the fish themselves is the important part. Seahorseaquariums seems like a super set-up, but I'd like to travel to get the fish myself, and Dublin is a teeny bit too far from Monaghan. Can anyone recommend a good pet store in the North-East, or somewhere in Louth?

Thanks in advance :D

Advertisement