Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work deducted incorrect tax

Options
  • 08-07-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, A friend of mine has recently found out her employer hasn't deduct enough tax from her. I realise the tax is owed to the revenue regardless of who is at fault. Its a large company, payroll dept etc. Given that it is there mistake, would she have a case to argue that they should have to pay it??? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭JDxtra

She will have to pay it. Revenue usually allow you to pay back a small amount over time so it won't be a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Best for your mate getting onto Revenue herself, as it'll be easier to pay the tax off now whilst she can, than be hit with a tax bill when she can't pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lucy1990 wrote: »
    Hi, A friend of mine has recently found out her employer hasn't deduct enough tax from her. I realise the tax is owed to the revenue regardless of who is at fault. Its a large company, payroll dept etc. Given that it is there mistake, would she have a case to argue that they should have to pay it??? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

lucy1990 wrote: »
    Given that it is there mistake, would she have a case to argue that they should have to pay it??? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

erm. why? Your friend got paid more than she was entitled to because she was taxed incorrectly. Why should she get to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Xcellor wrote: »
    erm. why? Your friend got paid more than she was entitled to because she was taxed incorrectly. Why should she get to keep it?

If this had ran until the end of the year, she would have been able to keep it and the company would be liable for the under deduction of tax payable to the revenue. An employer cannot make an adjustment in the new tax year for the previous year to an employees salary (unless it can be proven that due care was exercised)

• Advertisement
Advertisement