Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting time to carrickmines?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Advice needed please!
    I need to be in carrickmines for between 8am & 8.10am next week. Near the retail park. Leaving from near lidl. I've been told I can do it in 20 mins... Would I be cutting it too fine to leave at 7.40am? Tx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

When the roads are not busy it only takes 15 mins to drive from Greystones to Carrickmines. But in the mornings you may be delayed a while as you join the N11 but during the school holidays traffic is usually light so leaving at 7.40 will just about get you in for 8 I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    When the roads are not busy it only takes 15 mins to drive from Greystones to Carrickmines. But in the mornings you may be delayed a while as you join the N11 but during the school holidays traffic is usually light so leaving at 7.40 will just about get you in for 8 I should think.
    Thanks. I have done it off peak but not at that time.
    Out of curiosity, what time do you think I would need to leave at in sept to get there for 8/8.10? 7.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Whereabouts in Greystones are you leaving from? It does make a difference, especially when the schools are back.

Not looking for your home address here or anything, just roughly where you'll be leaving from.

Shazerina wrote: »
    Advice needed please!
    I need to be in carrickmines for between 8am & 8.10am next week. Near the retail park. Leaving from near lidl. I've been told I can do it in 20 mins... Would I be cutting it too fine to leave at 7.40am? Tx

I would say 07.20 in September would probably get you in for 08.00, as you are going from the Lidl area you will avoid a lot of built up traffic further back in Blacklion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

From around 0720 the Bray junctions really start slowing down. From 0730 you could see quite heavy tailbacks.
    There is an alternate route via Enniskerry to bring you to Carrickmines - not for those uncomfortable with windy roads - and in bad conditions even this route should be avoided. Similarly in good conditions you are going to meet groups of cyclists enjoying the scenery (while I hate to be slowed by them I am also equally jealous).

One advantage of this route is the cheaper fuel in the Scalp garage - limited pumps so don't chance going there on empty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Ah the scalp. When we were kids Dad would have us peering out of the car to spot for rocks falling. Very exciting. Many a time we saw rocks just about ready to fall on us! Beware.

Apologies, didn't see the Lidl bit first time around! Definitely 7.20 leaving time when September rolls around. I'd even take the left turn at the dip on the way out of Greystones and come out at the Glenview. Southern Cross can be terrible some mornings.

Aim to be ON the N11 before half past. That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Banta wrote: »
    Apologies, didn't see the Lidl bit first time around! Definitely 7.20 leaving time when September rolls around. I'd even take the left turn at the dip on the way out of Greystones and come out at the Glenview. Southern Cross can be terrible some mornings.

Aim to be ON the N11 before half past. That's what I do.

Only a few things on that road
    > deer (saw one last week) & assorted other wildlife
    > other road users even early morning - cyclists / walkers / horses / folk walking dogs
    > Bend after the Glen of the Downs Golf club - road is in bits and cars sometimes take a chance - be ready to stop immediately.
    > winter - good luck during heavy snows and ice
    Otherwise works well.

Thanks for all the replies. Am a bit shocked at the change schools being opened would make to this commute. Was doing from here to Dublin 12 and the OH to D22 in 30 mins door to door, leaving any time up to 7.30am (at a real push, 7.35) so I would have presumed carrickmines being closer would have allowed a later start. But evidently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I think taking the Scalp route works best on a day there is an accident on the M50 in between Bray and Carrickmines. I've worked in Heatons Carrickmines but left around 8:15 or later. You should try out the M50 during the first few days when school starts back. You could then try the Scalp route for a week.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Only a few things on that road
    > deer (saw one last week) & assorted other wildlife
    > other road users even early morning - cyclists / walkers / horses / folk walking dogs
    > Bend after the Glen of the Downs Golf club - road is in bits and cars sometimes take a chance - be ready to stop immediately.
    > winter - good luck during heavy snows and ice
    Otherwise works well.

I hardly suggested to drive like Colin McRae with a blind fold on. I drove that way every morning for 3 years, without any issues or accidents. Of course care is needed, but that's the same for every road/route you take. A little more care needed for the smaller 'country' roads, of course, but that's any road at any time of the day, such as the scalp, as you suggested.

In winter IF it's snowy and icy, there's the choice to take the route or not, rather simply I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Banta wrote: »
    Apologies, didn't see the Lidl bit first time around! Definitely 7.20 leaving time when September rolls around. I'd even take the left turn at the dip on the way out of Greystones and come out at the Glenview.

Hi can you tell me where this route is please?
    pm maybe?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

https://goo.gl/maps/SSsZa

don't be tempted to take the road directly into Kilmacanogue (Bohilla Lane) - it's very very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

loyatemu wrote: »
    https://goo.gl/maps/SSsZa

don't be tempted to take the road directly into Kilmacanogue (Bohilla Lane) - it's very very narrow.

thanks but i hoping for directions more like, left at petrol station, right at shop.

Shazerina wrote: »
    Advice needed please!

How did your journey go?

After all that, I ended up being able to go in the afternoon instead. And it took just about 20mins door to door. Would have taken me longer had I got stuck behind the bus... But a quick pull-out of my estate prevented that.
    Thanks all for the replies. Don't think I'll be needing to get there early in the morning, not now nor in the immediate future. But if I ever am, I have been well prepped by you all! Thanks.

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi can you tell me where this route is please?
    pm maybe?!!!

PM'd. Just saw your response this afternoon.

Happy to hear the OP doesn't have to be in until the afternoon.... if only it was the same for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

Just did it today in 20 mins, no traffic though....

Advertisement