Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in leixlip, where to live things to do etc

Options
  • 08-07-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Starting a job tomorrow in leixlip and looking to find out some more about whats on offer in the area.

I'll be working at the intel plant, have been thinking about living in maynooth as it would give me the excuse to cycle to work like i used to in dublin. Are there any areas to avoid in maynooth? Something i havent thought of but seen mentioned is internet, is there broadband throughout the town?

Other things id like to find out is about social places or activities, i dont think i know anyone in the area but id like to. I also need to get into shape again and either need a gym (not my prefference) or some thing else maybe where to run? Maybe theres a pool somewhere nearby and what is it like?

I have other questions im sure i just cant think of any right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Maynooth is fine, everywhere is good for renting, but you can be choosey about where you want to live, try to avoid student houses, broadband is available everywhere, if you can get somewhere with UPC you're laughing because their internet is really good.

There's a gym in the Glenroyal Hotel (2 pools), and in Carton (1 pool), no running track, there's one in Kilcock and Leixlip, the roads around Maynooth are fine for jogging etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks for the reply Staplor!

Theres no dodgy areas i should be aware of or bad quality housing? Not interested in student accom but it might be cheap at the min.

Any of those pools better than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Go and have a look around the pool, both require a gym membership though, if I was being picky in maynooth I'd go for newer houses over older ones, heat wise. If you have any estate in mind you can always ask for an opinion here, if a house looks like a kip it will be, plenty of people renting rooms will prefer you to students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Carton house has a lot of trails which are great for running on, as are the canal paths from leixlip > maynooth and leixlip > clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Droichead nua

St Catherine's Park in Confey (Leixlip) is huge so great for running etc. Also has outdoor gym equipment dotted around it. Trails bring you down as far as Lucan so good distance for a run...

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I better get looking for a place and go buy some runners, ill jardly be going to far for the tome being

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Finesse on the Main Street in Maynooth have an informal running club and run pay as you go fitness classes every evening which I found to be a great way to meet people around the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

There is also a gym on the Intel site that is open to Intel staff

Call me Al wrote: »
    There is also a gym on the Intel site that is open to Intel staff

I think it's only for blue badge staff which i am not. I mist look into it though cause it would be handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

jozi wrote: »
    I think it's only for blue badge staff which i am not. I mist look into it though cause it would be handy

Blue badge only:(

• Advertisement

Yeah emailed the contact on the door, pity as it would be handy popping in there before going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

There's a gym across the road from Intel - Leixlip amenities centre (doesn't have a pool though)

Advertisement