Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New online store NEED ADVICE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

tricky D wrote: »
    One reason which might or might not apply as to whether Shopify or Woo/WP is better is ease of customisation. Is shopify customisation possible only through the UI or can I drill into code as well like I can with a self-hosted Woo/WP? I don't know shopify well enough to say myself? But I know I'd often prefer options beyond a UI-only.

Yes Shopify provides full ftp access to the template code.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭cgriffin

Of course, we're all just offering opinions.

It's not neccesarily that I think that Shopify is a better platform, but somebody suggested that the OP should move from Shopify to a WP / WooCommerce setup and I find that hard to justify. I can't see any major benefit in changing platform at this early stage in the OP's business.

In fact from the OP's point of view there would be considerable amount of work involved in moving from Shopify. And again those advocating the WP/WooCommerce option haven't really given any compelling reasons for changing platforms.

Do you have any such data on Irish WooCommerce stores versus competing stores in the same market that are built on Shopify? In any case that's a fairly weak line of debate as there are far too many factors that contribute towards sales success other than the choice of platform.

I am actually genuinely interested in why WooCommerce is a better option than Shopify. It's not something I have any experience with so I'm keen to know why you believe wooCommerce is superior.

Unfortunately you have completely ignored the fact that I pointed out earlier that commission fees on each transaction through Shopify is one very important reason to consider the Wordpress option which costs nothing.

Competitive pricing is one of the key ways to sell online and every 2% counts when it comes to margins.

As you say yourself moving from Shopify can be a difficult process but it would be better to do it after 48 hours than 48 days or four years but I'm glad others have questioned my opinions are there is nobody necessarily right or wrong here.

I never asked for details on a Shopify site that is achieving lots of sales just one that is getting lots of relevant organic traffic.

I can only speak for my own business when it comes to organic traffic and wordpress, local hosting etc and I am quite happy with how it is doing in relation to this but as you say yourself it is down to a lot of other factors outside platform itself.

cgriffin wrote: »
    If SEO is not part of the mix in your goal to build a successful e-commerce store I think you will find it very difficult to achieve success without endless streams of investment.

People got to learn what to do and know what they are doing whatever platform they are on.

Absolutely true. But the question is why you feel that WooCommerce offers better SEO than Shopify.

Absolutely true. But the question is why you feel that WooCommerce offers better SEO than Shopify.

I simply don't know of any Shopify e-commerce stores which are ranking well for organic traffic and nobody else seems to either so that is why I have my doubts.

I like to see evidence I guess. Why pay for something when you can get it elsewhere for free.

Unfortunately you have completely ignored the fact that I pointed out earlier that commission fees on each transaction through Shopify is one very important reason to consider the Wordpress option which costs nothing.

No I haven't ignored anything related to Shopify fees. I do realise that there are transaction fees on some of the accounts. I don't know which account the OP is using, he/she could very well be using the "Unlimited" account where there are no transactions fees.

In any case depending on the type of business and volume of sales it may make sense to move to a platform that has zero transaction fees.

But you seem to be suggesting that there is absolutely no cost in setting up a WooCommerce shop and thus it's all profit.
    Competitive pricing is one of the key ways to sell online and every 2% counts when it comes to margins.

Of course but depending on volume of sales and the size of the margins, 2% may be an acceptable business cost.
    As you say yourself moving from Shopify can be a difficult process but it would be better to do it after 48 hours than 48 days or four years but I'm glad others have questioned my opinions are there is nobody necessarily right or wrong here.

Why would it be better?
    I never asked for details on a Shopify site that is achieving lots of sales just one that is getting lots of relevant organic traffic.

That data is unlikely to be obtained easily and it again misses the point. Thw question is why do you think WooCommerce will perform better than Shopify in terms of SEO and organic traffic?
    I can only speak for my own business when it comes to organic traffic and wordpress, local hosting etc and I am quite happy with how it is doing in relation to this but as you say yourself it is down to a lot of other factors outside platform itself.

Glad to hear that business is good, seriously. But you seem to be taking it as fact that the factors you mention (local hosting, Wordpress) are essential for good organic traffic.

My point is that I don't see any evidence to support the superiority of a locally hosted Wordpress / WooCommerce site over a cloud-hosted Shopify site. As always I'm happy to be enlightened.

• Advertisement

I simply don't know of any Shopify e-commerce stores which are ranking well for organic traffic and nobody else seems to either so that is why I have my doubts.

I like to see evidence I guess. Why pay for something when you can get it elsewhere for free.

Respectfully, I rest my case. :)

No I haven't ignored anything related to Shopify fees. I do realise that there are transaction fees on some of the accounts. I don't know which account the OP is using, he/she could very well be using the "Unlimited" account where there are no transactions fees.

In any case depending on the type of business and volume of sales it may make sense to move to a platform that has zero transaction fees.

But you seem to be suggesting that there is absolutely no cost in setting up a WooCommerce shop and thus it's all profit.

Of course but depending on volume of sales and the size of the margins, 2% may be an acceptable business cost.

Why would it be better?

That data is unlikely to be obtained easily and it again misses the point. Thw question is why do you think WooCommerce will perform better than Shopify in terms of SEO and organic traffic?

Glad to hear that business is good, seriously. But you seem to be taking it as fact that the factors you mention (local hosting, Wordpress) are essential for good organic traffic.

My point is that I don't see any evidence to support the superiority of a locally hosted Wordpress / WooCommerce site over a cloud-hosted Shopify site. As always I'm happy to be enlightened.

Seriously mate I got to put an end as I don't have time for it.

I never suggested that there is no fees when selling online but I what I will say very clearly is that Shopify seems is an unnecessary added fee on top of all the other ones.

Some of the shopify plans also have monthly fees on top of transaction fees which is another unnecessary expense in my view.

Shopify sites would appear to not rank well on google.ie which can of course be for a variety of reasons. The fact of the matter is they are not ranking well.

I have doubts on cloud hosting platforms for e-commerce and ranking on search engines whatever your view.

I honestly don't have time to go through the rest of what you are saying but you do seem to be on a mission to misrepresent my opinions in your replies and only read the parts which you suit you

I'm on my bike now

Good luck OP

Respectfully, I rest my case. :)

Oh sorry didn't realise we were in court today.

You have added no value to this thread and the question by the OP in my opinion.

Seriously mate I got to put an end as I don't have time for it.

Me neither.
    I never suggested that there is no fees when selling online but I what I will say very clearly is that Shopify seems is an unnecessary added fee on top of all the other ones.

I understand what you mean about unnecessary fees. However a fee / cost that provides value to the customer (in this case if it's ease of use or ease of payment management etc) can be an acceptable cost of doing business.
    Some of the shopify plans also have monthly fees on top of transaction fees which is another unnecessary expense in my view.

See above
    Shopify sites would appear to not rank well on google.ie which can of course be for a variety of reasons. The fact of the matter is they are not ranking well.

You are presenting your opinion as fact. Do you have any supporting evidence?
    I have doubts on cloud hosting platforms for e-commerce and ranking on search engines whatever your view.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I'm not convinced either way.
    I honestly don't have time to go through the rest of what you are saying but you do seem to be on a mission to misrepresent my opinions in your replies and only read the parts which you suit you

Not at all. I have read all of your posts. The problem is you have presented a number of your opinions as fact and then when questioned on their validity have failed to come up with any supporting evidence or reason to support them.
    I'm on my bike now

Good luck OP

Travel safely.

OP. Hopefully this is of some use to you. Best of luck with the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

...........And get a banner for offers that rotates.

may as well go all out and break out the <marquee> tags

• Advertisement

Me neither.

I understand what you mean about unnecessary fees. However a fee / cost that provides value to the customer (in this case if it's ease of use or ease of payment management etc) can be an acceptable cost of doing business.

See above

You are presenting your opinion as fact. Do you have any supporting evidence?

Fair enough, that's your opinion. I'm not convinced either way.

Not at all. I have read all of your posts. The problem is you have presented a number of your opinions as fact and then when questioned on their validity have failed to come up with any supporting evidence or reason to support them.

Travel safely.

OP. Hopefully this is of some use to you. Best of luck with the store.

The term "would appear" certainly does not mean I am presenting my opinion as a fact.

I think you should really go back a few pages and actually read what I wrote rather than continue with this rather silly behaviour.

Before I leave here though here is two facts for you.

1: Wordpress works pretty good for me.

2: I don't know one Irish E-Commerce store on the Shopify platform which is rocking when it comes to generating organic traffic.

Better the devil you know as far as I am concerned.

Nothing else to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Saharastorm

From a potential customer's point of view, I would be put off because of the lack of contact information. For me, Immediately alarm bells go off if I don't see an actual address and land line phone number on a newly discovered site.

Don't bother pretending the prices are discounted / slashed, they are what they are. Looks a bit amateurish I think.

You don't advise how delivery will be provided, e.g. registered post, courier company, carrier pigeon!!

Also you don't actually state how you will be contacting customers.
    Should they expect automated email to confirm order, will you text them, will you call them?
    At least if customers know how you will be communicating with them, it will cut down on the enquiries and inspire confidence.

I like the static menu bar across the top.
    However, when I click on "Smartphones" I have to click on "Home" to navigate back. The menu bar isn't there.

I would loose the line "Irelands leading retailer" maybe something like Irelands Premier retailer or Favourite retailer because of it's excellent communication and speedy delivery.

RE directing traffic to the site, when it's up and running, maybe some friends could mention it in chat rooms etc. The you tube suggestion was excellent.

Re facebook, A Promotion similar to "like and share this page to be in with a chance to win a 50 voucher" always works!:)

You could also consider one of the deal groups, deal rush / groupon / city deals. Even if you break even, I imagine the free advertising has to be worth something.

If you're targeting specific area's can you run a competition in local free newspapers?

Are you involved in a sports club? Can you sponsor a junior team?
    Can you give a prize to a raffle?

Can you do a "goody drop" at a busy luas / train station / road junction? Obviously with website details on the goody. Even a squezzeball or pen or usb key, or trolley token. Something people will bring to work and talk about.

Then they'll start talking about yourwebsite.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Well to be fair I already offered my opinions on why I feel this is the case in a post above.

It seems that you believe Shopify is a better option. Why is this?

Can you give me an example of an Irish e-commerce store on the shopify platform which is achieving a high level of relevant organic traffic?

I have a shopify website here. I don't see why shopify would have a negative effect on organic traffic. My main search keywords rankings fluctuate quite a bit (this is normal). A few days ago I was on page 2 for the search term ("Fishing Rods"). Currently I'm on page 1 for "Hokkai Rigs" and doing ok on another few keywords.

I'm only online 6 months and don't have the extensive range of products that my competitors have. It takes time and patience to build an online store imo.

The Shopify platform is simple to use re. SEO. Anyone can add page titles etc. It's really a user-friendly platform.

It's only 1% if you choose €79 per month option.

Tbh, a lot of people see this a fairly good value considering what you are getting.

The term "would appear" certainly does not mean I am presenting my opinion as a fact.

I think you should really go back a few pages and actually read what I wrote rather than continue with this rather silly behaviour.

No thanks. I have already read your posts. If you feel that somebody asking you to explain your opinions is "silly behaviour" then maybe this is not the place for you.

In the interests of keeping this useful for the OP, you said multiple times (just go back and read your posts) that the OP should change from Shopify to WP/WooCommerce. But when questioned on why they should change you have failed to present any compelling reasons.

Changing platform would involve a lot of time and money for the OP but at no time did I say that this change was incorrect I just wanted to know why it would be "better" than Shopify.

You have now resorted to personal insults against me instead of trying to provide some constructive information that may help the OP.
    Before I leave here though here is two facts for you.

1: Wordpress works pretty good for me.

Therein lies the problem. That is not a fact, it's an opinion. Please try to understand the difference.
    2: I don't know one Irish E-Commerce store on the Shopify platform which is rocking when it comes to generating organic traffic.

The fact that you don't know something doesn't make it true!

Better the devil you know as far as I am concerned.

But it's the devil that you know! I personally know nothing about WooCommerce. And despite the fact that you have extolled it's virtues over Shopify you have told us nothing about it. You have provided no information to the OP or the rest of us about why it's better.
    Nothing else to say on the matter.

That's your choice.

To the OP.

Running some competitions on social media (as the Pontiac has mentioned) may help drive initial traffic although I wouldn't rely entirely on social media.

Shortstack is worth having a look at:
    http://www.shortstack.com

This of course would be best done when you have addressed all of the other issues mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Comments I would make in no particular order.

1, It was extremely naive of the OP to just stick up this pretty grim site without getting it properly designed/checked/beta tested and have a proper suite of products on offer. The site in my opinion is really horrible, one can only assume that this is bedroom/hobbyist operation and not a proper commercial business. You would not open a retail shop in this manner and nor should you do a proper eCommerce operation in this way.

2. The use of a .com instead of a .ie domain is a serious mistake for all the reasons pointed out in many posts. It matters not a jot where it is hosted but the ie domain is important for an Irish business.

3. Unsing any hosted solution that has transactional %age fee and monthly charge is just daft and only suited for those victims who know no better. These offereings are generally very nicely packaged and easy to use, just grossly over priced. Get rid of Shopify would be my call and sooner rather than later. The cost will be small as the current content is worthless.

4. The real choice is between building your own, using systems such as WP/WOO or going for a proper shop-in-a-box fully hosted solution. I have a lot of experience of the latter and the products available have improved greatly from the early days. These are very suited to those with lower computer/web/design skills and have many features that you simply could not affordably develop for just one small site. Most are also extremely scaleable, great for when you hit the big time sales revenues.

I am not trying be negative for the sake of being negative but rather to be brutally honest in an effort to shock you into doing something good with your dream!!

Pedro :)

PS I do like the types of products you are starting out with.....keep that direction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

the blue background burns my eyes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

First things first - site needs a complete revamp. I couldn't spend any more than a few seconds on the site due to the blue background! Why not a simple white background?

When you have the most fundamental issues like this to address, you need to start at the whiteboard and figure it out in a checklist-type fashion to start. It might be an idea to talk to someone / a company with a decent portfolio to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the blue background burns my eyes

:(

twas white the other evening - was grand

No thanks. I have already read your posts. If you feel that somebody asking you to explain your opinions is "silly behaviour" then maybe this is not the place for you.

In the interests of keeping this useful for the OP, you said multiple times (just go back and read your posts) that the OP should change from Shopify to WP/WooCommerce. But when questioned on why they should change you have failed to present any compelling reasons.

Changing platform would involve a lot of time and money for the OP but at no time did I say that this change was incorrect I just wanted to know why it would be "better" than Shopify.

You have now resorted to personal insults against me instead of trying to provide some constructive information that may help the OP.

Therein lies the problem. That is not a fact, it's an opinion. Please try to understand the difference.

The fact that you don't know something doesn't make it true!

But it's the devil that you know! I personally know nothing about WooCommerce. And despite the fact that you have extolled it's virtues over Shopify you have told us nothing about it. You have provided no information to the OP or the rest of us about why it's better.

That's your choice.

To the OP.

Running some competitions on social media (as the Pontiac has mentioned) may help drive initial traffic although I wouldn't rely entirely on social media.

This of course would be best done when you have addressed all of the other issues mentioned.

If you were to bother and look back on this thread you will see that it was not me that brought up shopify in the first place and I did not tell the OP that they definitely should move away from it. I said they should seek plenty of opinions on whether or not to do so.

If you were to bother reading my first post you will see it covered a lot more things than shopify anyway. The thread is meant to be about traffic generation and not platform and I only posted in an effort to be helpful.

If you were to bother reading my first post you will see that I said "selling online is still a relatively new process and it is evolving at the speed of an express train.
    Any advice you will get here or indeed anywhere is unlikely to lead to guaranteed success or failure" I certainly don't claim to have all the answers.

It is "silly behaviour" to consistently try to misrepresent my opinion and I will post here if I like thank you very much. If you feel personally insulted I'm sure there is a report option or something.

I am glad to see someone has now posted a link to their shopify site here. This is a site I feel the OP could learn a lot from from a layout and design point of view at least.

As it is a young site and I have no idea how much off page seo work has been done on it to date it is hard to tell how it will rank long term but I would be concerned it could drop from page 2 for the term "fishing rods" to page 6 in a matter of days.

It is a challenge to get your pages to rank but a whole different challenge to get them to stay there.

But at least this poster has proven that you can rank through the Shopify platform which should be encouraging for anyone looking to use it.

On competitions I think rather that run them through social media sites you might be better off to run them through your own site but use social media channels to promote them.

The goal is to generate traffic after all!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Atomico

It can be easy to fall into the correlation = causation trap, i.e. Shopify users seem to get less traffic than self-hosted sites, therefore it's better to self-host than go with Shopify and similar platforms. When in reality there is just some correlation there, rather than Shopify being the root cause of the low traffic.

Shopify is built from the ground up to be SEO-friendly, and the company would only be working against themselves if this were not the case.

The level to which a site is optimised and in a great position to grow their traffic will probably be about 98% down to the work they put in. The other 2% (if even) might be down to the choice of platform and its limitations. The extent to which their traffic will grow will be more or less proportional to the effort they put in to SEO and other marketing channels, in addition to how competitive their niche / sector is.

As mentioned earlier, Shopify users are more likely to have more limited online marketing knowledge and/or time to work on their marketing - and so this might be why they seem to get lower traffic than those with self-hosted sites (who will be more likely to be more knowledgeable and hands-on). That's just a generalisation however.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Atomico wrote: »
    It can be easy to fall into the correlation = causation trap, i.e. Shopify users seem to get less traffic than self-hosted sites, therefore it's better to self-host than go with Shopify and similar platforms. When in reality there is just some correlation there, rather than Shopify being the root cause of the low traffic.

Shopify is built from the ground up to be SEO-friendly, and the company would only be working against themselves if this were not the case.

The level to which a site is optimised and in a great position to grow their traffic will probably be about 98% down to the work they put in. The other 2% (if even) might be down to the choice of platform and its limitations. The extent to which their traffic will grow will be more or less proportional to the effort they put in to SEO and other marketing channels, in addition to how competitive their niche / sector is.

As mentioned earlier, Shopify users are more likely to have more limited online marketing knowledge and/or time to work on their marketing - and so this might be why they seem to get lower traffic than those with self-hosted sites (who will be more likely to be more knowledgeable and hands-on). That's just a generalisation however.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

The blue background just has to be removed.
    It is very unfriendly on the eye and would be an instant turn off in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

JMR wrote: »
    The blue background just has to be removed.
    It is very unfriendly on the eye and would be an instant turn off in my opinion

+1

There was a white background the other day, did you mean to change the background to that blue colour OP? Regardless, it needs to be changed ASAP.

The template you are using in general is as basic as it gets, and needs a bit of work in order to convey a professional and confidence-inspiring impression. Look for a more modern font than the Cabin Google Font on the headings, as it doesn't merge with the Arial/Verdana style body text. I don't know Shopify but I would imagine there are plenty of pre-configured templates that you can use and just customise a little to suit your needs. The cleaner and less cluttered, the better.

Atomico wrote: »

Graham wrote: »
    +1

+2

If you were to bother and look back on this thread you will see that it was not me that brought up shopify in the first place and I did not tell the OP that they definitely should move away from it. I said they should seek plenty of opinions on whether or not to do so.

Both I and the OP asked you why YOU think WooCommerce is a better option than Shopify.

You have repeatedly failed to answer the question.

That is essentially a summary of the entire debate.

We'll leave it at that.

@Sahara Storm, I've just seen the "new" colour scheme on the site. It's not good. Red on blue is very hard on the eyes and the whole thing looks very unprofessional now.

I think you should address all of the content issues with the site first (address, return/refund details etc) and then seek some help with the site's design.

You should be able to revert back to a simple theme fairly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SaharaStorm

Both I and the OP asked you why YOU think WooCommerce is a better option than Shopify.

We'll leave it at that.

@Sahara Storm, I've just seen the "new" colour scheme on the site. It's not good. Red on blue is very hard on the eyes and the whole thing looks very unprofessional now.

I think you should address all of the content issues with the site first (address, return/refund details etc) and then seek some help with the site's design.

Massive thank you to all who gave their opinions and valuable thoughts, I greatly appreciate it all. I have changed back the colour, don't know what I was thinking with the blue it looked awful. I'm going to spend some time redesigning the site, possibly looking into moving away from shopify I'll have to look at all options & I am also considering changing the name to something better with a .ie domain. Again thank you all very much.

Massive thank you to all who gave their opinions and valuable thoughts, I greatly appreciate it all. I have changed back the colour, don't know what I was thinking with the blue it looked awful. I'm going to spend some time redesigning the site, possibly looking into moving away from shopify I'll have to look at all options & I am also considering changing the name to something better with a .ie domain. Again thank you all very much.

PM me if you want someone cheap to work on the site. I know a shopify expert that is very reasonable. He does work on my site.

We'll leave it at that.

No in summary
    The OP asked the question.
    I answered it based on my own opinion.
    You continued to ask the same question.
    I continued to tell you read my previous posts.
    Waste of your time, my time and a pain the backside for anyone trying to read the thread.
    +3 or +4 indeed +110 to Atomico.
    Probably the best summing up of platforms I have read and a timely reply to all the nonsense which came before.
    I still think local hosting might be a minor factor but 98% of your rankings achievements does come down to hard work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

I still wouldn't buy anything off that site the way it is, regardless if it uses shopify, woocommerce or a tin of sliced pineapples as the cms.

Advertisement