Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kittens!

• 08-07-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I know very little about cats. These four were out the front playing under a tree so I brought them in. They're not owned by neighbours either side and I haven't knocked further afield yet. I think they're too young to be out alone.

So, with an old-man cat and two dogs, one of whom would love a kitten toothpick and a baby on the way I have a few questions.

How old would you guess they are?

Is there a danger with kittens (particularly unknown, unowned ones) and pregnancy?

What should I do with them to keep them comfy while trying to find somewhere for them to go?

I'm really not a suitable place for them to hang out but I couldn't just leave them :(

10514559_10203698915368792_2765585197541510664_n.jpg

10478662_10203698915648799_2117229725746672737_n.jpg

10411758_10203698916208813_6093603739598812158_n.jpg

1910507_10203698916528821_1159272229420073077_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh, they are so gorgeous and way too little to be out on the street. Well done for bringing them indoors. The only health risk to pregnant women that I know of is toxoplasmosis, but apparently there's more risk of that from handling raw meat than from cats and as far as I know the toxoplasmosis is caught from faeces. I'm sure there are far more knowlegable posters than me.

They don't look like more than 3 months old to me, maybe younger. Our foster kitten went into heat at 4 months old, scary to think of them getting pregnant when they are that little. Not to mention that if they were trusting enough to go with you they could have gone off with someone who would have harmed them. At least they're safe with you until you can make other arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah well I've lined the litter bow with a bag so I can just lift it straight out and I'll be extra careful to keep my hands washed.

Glad they're too little to be out, I'd feel very silly bringing them in if they were someones pet :o

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Whispered wrote: »
    Ah well I've lined the litter bow with a bag so I can just lift it straight out and I'll be extra careful to keep my hands washed.

Glad they're too little to be out, I'd feel very silly bringing them in if they were someones pet :o

Thanks.
    Even if they are someone's pets they're still way to little to be out, they wouldn't have a chance against a dog or a scumbag, even a tom cat could kill them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My guess is around 10 weeks or so, but could just be small for their age, if you could pick them up, they aren't feral!
    Someone may have just dumped them, it's getting harder to home kittens and some people don't even bother to try.
    Sad but at least you got them safe, I'd offer to help but have two in my bathroom as it is, waiting to home them once they are tame enough and fed up a bit.
    Maybe someone can suggest a shelter near you that may help home them?

Ask the local vets if anyone they may know might own them, and put a poster up to home them.

Looks like you have the bases covered, bedding, toys, food and water. They look in good condition too, maybe get some wormer (parazole liquid is great for kittens) and check for fleas, for you own sake.
    Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Home safe and sound with their owner. He lives in the estate and rescued mammy who is still weaning them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement