Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sign at entrance to Racecourse

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭

I was rather disgusted to observe some signage at the racecourse today stating No walking running or jogging on any part of the racecourse between Monday July 7th and the 4th of August.

Recently I run the racecourse regularly so that puts heed to that. I can understand no running etc on the actual track but the sign said 'Any part of the racecourse' Why?

And does anyone recall if they do this every year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

D Trent wrote: »
    I was rather disgusted to observe some signage at the racecourse today stating No walking running or jogging on any part of the racecourse between Monday July 7th and the 4th of August.

Recently I run the racecourse regularly so that puts heed to that. I can understand no running etc on the actual track but the sign said 'Any part of the racecourse' Why?

Def not last year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's Raceweek, it's understandable they don't allow access then... there will be a lot of people working from early morning til late evening there and the last thing they need is for random members of the public getting in their way.

FWIW I run there myself but can totally see their point, and it's only one week of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

eh you neglected to mention dog fouling..That's what I assumed the sign was aimed at most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's Raceweek, it's understandable they don't allow access then... there will be a lot of people working from early morning til late evening there and the last thing they need is for random members of the public getting in their way.

FWIW I run there myself but can totally see their point, and it's only one week of the year.

Read the post - it's not for one week of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

It's actually almost a month...
    I walk up there a lot... they are putting up the tents... seems like a lot of work going on

Took a bit of a detour today... no harm

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    eh you neglected to mention dog fouling..That's what I assumed the sign was aimed at most
    That's a different, permanent sign

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's a different, permanent sign
    nah it's the same sign at the N6 gate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its because they are getting ready for the races, hardly that big a deal.

Its because they are getting ready for the races, hardly that big a deal.

You obviously don't do running

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You obviously don't do running

There are plenty of places available for running in Galway. 3 weeks will hardly kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Next thing they'll be stopping you all from running the track when the horses are racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

It was closed last year too. That sign is there for your safety. It will be getting busy up there over the next few weeks and there will be a lot of traffic on the road you run on. Since the surface is tarred and smooth some runners do not hear the vehicles; especially those who wear earphones.

Goods will be delivered to the Enclosure so they close the gates on both ends. This is for Security reasons. They don't like you running on the grass so you cannot do laps if the gates are closed.

They open the gates every morning to facilitate us for the rest of the year. I think we can put up with this closure for a while to let them work in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's for race week, not a big deal I'd think. You can go back again once races are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Is the Racecourse not owned by a private company? I presume they don't have any legal obligation to provide access to the public.

As a runner who uses the racecourse a lot, I was disappointed to hear it was being closed for a week, but could hardly say I was 'disgusted'. Head down to Merlin Woods, or even some of the roads around Menlo. I wouldn't blame the Racecourse for the lack of running facilities in the city though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It's closed for a month, though.

I can see their reasoning, but it's still going to be disappointing to those who use it daily. (Not me. I'm the sedentary type)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Is the Racecourse not owned by a private company? I presume they don't have any legal obligation to provide access to the public.

Exactly.

It's private property. Consider yourself lucky that you're allowed run there 11 months of the year.

Typical Irish sence of entitlment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

They have to get the racecourse ready for race week. Your lucky that they allow you use it for the other 11 months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

OP Get real...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's private property. Absolutely no justification for complaining about access being closed to private property. They are overly generous to let the public use their course as an amenity for running and walking. I'm a regular runner there on the outer track and it really annoys me to see people running on the grass when they are not supposed to and dogs fouling the paths whilst their owners just amble on. These are the people who spoil it for the rest of us responsible users and i can't blame the owners for closing access this month. We should be greatful they don't close access permantently.

Worse case of abuse of this i have seen in the last few months are old golf balls knocking around and some divots! I can't belieive there are morons who would use the racecouse for practicing their driving!!

If i owned the racecourse i would have shut down public access permanently after seeing that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Exactly.

It's private property. Consider yourself lucky that you're allowed run there 11 months of the year.

Typical Irish sence of entitlment.

Any idea who owns the racecourse ? Always thought it was held in trust for the people of Galway or some such noble ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

brutes1 wrote: »
    Any idea who owns the racecourse ? Always thought it was held in trust for the people of Galway or some such noble ideal.

Not sure who actually owns it but it is run by the Galway Race Committee.

Yes it's private property however numerous rights of way exist there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

What does a right of way have to do with permissable public access to private property. Any right of way onsite is for internal purposes.

Merlin woods is only up the road and is an excellent place to run also and a public amenity to boot. For the sake of 4 weeks the racecourse is more than entitled to close off access.

They are getting more stringent now i'd say due to the runners who insist on running on the grass at this time of the year even though it has been communicated to local clubs that access is only permitted on the premise that runners stay of the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭The Belcher

zarquon wrote: »
    What does a right of way have to do with permissable public access to private property. Any right of way onsite is for internal purposes.

Merlin woods is only up the road and is an excellent place to run also and a public amenity to boot. For the sake of 4 weeks the racecourse is more than entitled to close off access.

They are getting more stringent now i'd say due to the runners who insist on running on the grass at this time of the year even though it has been communicated to local clubs that access is only permitted on the premise that runners stay of the grass.

I normally run 8k at least once a week in the racecourse and was wondering where to go myself this week. Where exactly is Merlin Woods and could I park a car somewhere nearby while I go off on my run. Does it have a fixed path etc?, sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Please provide maps and proof of said rights of way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

the_syco wrote: »
    Please provide maps and proof of said rights of way?

Land registry would give you the info at a fee... Afaik the race committee owns the lands, whether that is in trust for the city or is private property I am not certain, and there indeed are rights of way
    eg an extract from Landreg folio on racecourse lands

There is appurtenant to the property nos.1,2 and 3 a right to pass
    and repass on foot and with horses and carts over part of the
    townland of Ballybrit by the way lettered BC on the Registry Map
    thereof (O.S. 82

Way off topic here !

Dangan is best place to run in town, or you could do laps of Renmore OP , one mile on the two pitches full diameter , on solid grass , one km on the bigger pitch, great cross country season training .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Can I ask where people enter the track. Is there a pedestrian entrance off Bothar na dTreabh? I'd love to walk it sometime.
    Although, obviously not for the next month:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I normally run 8k at least once a week in the racecourse and was wondering where to go myself this week. Where exactly is Merlin Woods and could I park a car somewhere nearby while I go off on my run. Does it have a fixed path etc?, sorry for all the questions.

The handiest access is to park the car at the playground in Doughiska and you have direct access to the paths from there. The surface is loose sand based surface, ideal for running on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Park at the new school and follow the sand track around the playground til you come to the road, turn left and the woods are 100 yards further on, some nice trails through the woods down there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can I ask where people enter the track. Is there a pedestrian entrance off Bothar na dTreabh?

There is, but you have to either drive to it, or walk down the edge of the dual carriage way. And either way climb a fence to get in.

Handier to get in at the Avenue entrance beside Galway Technology Park, I think.

Advertisement