Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New warning on amber teething necklaces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Please please please let's not go here again. Op this is a Pandora's box/can of worms/call it what you will that you don't want opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Please please please let's not go here again. Op this is a Pandora's box/can of worms/call it what you will that you don't want opened.

Can't see how it's a can of worms. It's been deemed a danger to children and I can see why.
    I've 2 kids the youngest started at 3 months and has 8 now at 7 months.
    We never used anything but a teething ring and calpol when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Sweet_pea

It's a badly written piece intent on scaremongering.

Don't see anything in it that would stop me using ours.

Fair enough that you don't use them OP but I don't see why you feel the need to spread uninformed articles.

It's a badly written piece intent on scaremongering.

Don't see anything in it that would stop me using ours.

Fair enough that you don't use them OP but I don't see why you feel the need to spread uninformed articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

In fairness most people I know who use them use the ankle ones, and have them on under the baby's socks and babygro or clothes, so the danger is minimal so long as the baby is supervised. Thing is, for them to "work", they are supposed to be worn 24/7 including in bed ... I just wouldn't be comfortable with having any jewellery in the cot with him, no matter how well hidden and secured it was.

And of course you'll have those people who'll use the necklaces, to me the idea of putting something like that around the baby's neck is crazy! I don't like the idea of bracelets either, far too accessible.

They're certainly not something I'd ever use myself. Can't see any science behind them, ... in my own opinion they have a sort of placebo effect on the parents, makes them feel better that they're doing something to relieve the baby's pain. But, each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Don't see how that is a scaremongering piece at all... It's reblogging the national consumer agency report identifying the risks. http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?p=100&n=101&a=995

Most parents should have the basic cop on not to wrap any cord, especially beads around a babies neck, but as I see very small children with necklaces of various kinds, I guess some people need to be told it's not a good idea.

That is the thing though Chatt, why bother stating all the negative aspects you perceive of something that you don't use yourself.

I know this is a forum and the whole point is to give opinions and whatnot but I just don't get it anymore.

I suppose this is ot, just something I've been thinking about latley.

Anyway, the newer versions are made with release clasps so they open under pressure, the beads are individually sown on so only one would ever break off. I can't imagine him swallowing the necklace whole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sweet_pea wrote: »
    That is the thing though Chatt, why bother stating all the negative aspects you perceive of something that you don't use yourself.

I know this is a forum and the whole point is to give opinions and whatnot but I just don't get it anymore.

I suppose this is ot, just something I've been thinking about latley.

Anyway, the newer versions are made with release clasps so they open under pressure, the beads are individually sown on so only one would ever break off. I can't imagine him swallowing the necklace whole.

You wrap something around the neck of an infant who twitches, tumbles, rolls without full control of their body and you are concerned with swallowing?

How strange is right, this is a Pandora's box. I'msorry I opened my mouth, I won't be continuing in this conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

This really has been done to death and nothing good ever comes of the debate. I'm closing the thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement