Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Ah, now.........are you a perfect specimen of mankind?........:P
    Sorry, you're right...

I would put up a photo of myself, but my camera doesn't have a wide-angle lens:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whats TENI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

coolhull wrote: »
    Sorry, you're right...

I would put up a photo of myself, but my camera doesn't have a wide-angle lens:o

:pac:

I'm intrigued............as is the Internet World.......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Sorry, you're right...

Ditto.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Ditto.

Yis are a shower of wozzers.........:p:pac:

:pac:

I'm intrigued............as is the Internet World.......:D

Sorry g-s-w, but I'm afraid I can only ever remain part of your fantasy :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    The day we go down the road of changing laws to keep a 'handful of people' happy will be a dangerous one for this country.

A birth cert is a record of fact. Facts that cannot be altered retrospectively.

By all means issue another legal document to declare that a person has had a sex change operation and give it a similar status as a birth cert.

But it is simply wrong on many counts for the state to sanction a denial of facts as they were recorded in the past.

Nobody's rights are being infringed in any way having the sex of their birth held on the certifcate of their birth.

But the panelist made that exact point, stating that the law will simply mean that a new birth cert will issued reflecting their new gender.

Anyway how will this affect non-transgendered people? Not one bit. I frankly don't understand the opposition, unless you have a bigoted view of transgender people.

Sorry g-s-w, but I'm afraid I can only ever remain part of your fantasy :cool:

You're right coolhull.......I'm always disappointed in my choices......:p.....:(

About 35 seconds left as usual I suppose........

• Advertisement

People took up smoking because of the ban......did you ever hear such manure???

If cigarettes are as dangerous as we are being told, they should be made illegal to import, sell or consume; just like any other dangerous substance. The reason this doesn't happen is because they are a big source of revenue for the state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

lol

fair play to yer man from LGBT SPIKE

he tore that PR dude apart on the tobacco issue

Anyway how will this affect non-transgendered people?

I'm wondering how it affects gay people. Many of transgendered folk are straight and remain so after they go from being called Mr rather than Mrs.

Yet anytime there is a discussion on the issue the gay lot are in there straight away getting their oar in.

Why don't they butt out of other peoples business?
    Not one bit. I frankly don't understand the opposition, unless you have a bigoted view of transgender people.

What gave you the impression that I have a bigoted view of transgendered folk?

I don't really give them any more though than I do for anyone else. I used to live two doors down from a woman who used to be a bloke. Do you think that's all we ever spoke about whenever we met. Did we fuk. It seldom came up and when it did, it was always in context of something else.

I just don't like distorting facts simply because people don't like them anymore.

If cigarettes are as dangerous as we are being told, they should be made illegal to import, sell or consume; just like any other dangerous substance. The reason this doesn't happen is because they are a big source of revenue for the state.

No more than drink Roger.......

It's pathetic really....

I just don't like distorting facts simply because people don't like them anymore.

That's about the nub of it all Lapin.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering how it affects gay people. Many of transgendered folk are straight and remain so after they go from being called Mr rather than Mrs.

Yet anytime there is a discussion on the issue the gay lot are in there straight away getting their oar in.

Why don't they butt out of other peoples business?

What gave you the impression that I have a bigoted view of transgendered folk?

I don't really give them any more though than I do for anyone else. I used to live two doors down from a woman who used to be a bloke. Do you think that's all we ever spoke about whenever we met. Did we fuk. It seldom came up and when it did, it was always in context of something else.

Exactly, you should take notice of your own advice.

Your tone and every word you wrote suggested you have a bigoted view of trans people and generally the tone of most of your posts give that impression to be honest about a lot of things.

Facts - the world isn't black and white and all according to Lapin. Some people have different opinions on what "facts" are.

FYI - merely stating that you knew a transgender person doesn't unmake you a bigot..."some of my best friends are transgendered" stuff.

But the panelist made that exact point, stating that the law will simply mean that a new birth cert will issued reflecting their new gender.

That's fine. But there are some who want to see the official record of their original birth cert altered retrospectively to indicate their chosen sex rather than the one they were born with.

That is revisionism plain and simple and shouldn't be tolerated or permitted.

Its like this - Anyone born on the island of Ireland (say co Kerry), prior to 1920 was issued with a birth cert of the United Kingdom.

They were of course, fully entitled to Free State passports in later years and Republic of Ireland passports after 1949.

Their status as Irish citizens could and should never be questioned.

But nothing - nothing - can ever alter the fact that they were born in the United Kingdom even if they never set foot outside Kerry in their life.

That's fine. But there are some who want to see the official record of their original birth cert altered retrospectively to indicate their chosen sex rather than the one they were born with.

Its like this - Anyone born on the island of Ireland (say co Kerry), prior to 1920 was issued with a birth cert of the United Kingdom.

They were of course, fully entitled to Free State passports in later years and Republic of Ireland passports after 1949.

But nothing - nothing - can ever alter the fact that they were born in the United Kingdom even if they never set foot outside Kerry in their life.

That is true Lapin.

It may not suit the populist but there you are.
    I suppose the legal issues makes people uncomfortable...facts are facts.

That is true Lapin.

It may not suit the populist but there you are.
    I suppose the legal issues makes people uncomfortable...facts are facts.

The idea of men becoming women and women becoming men is what makes some people uncomfortable.

Why does it? I have no idea. Maybe you can tell us why.

This is not revisionism or not anything to do with the location of your birth.

It has to do with a number of people (a handful in relative terms) that want to have a birth cert that reflects their gender identity. That's all.

Your "facts" argument is just ludicrous.

• Advertisement

This is not revisionism or not anything to do with the location of your birth.

It has to do with a number of people (a handful in relative terms) that want to have a birth cert that reflects their gender identity. That's all.

Your "facts" argument is just ludicrous.

A birth cert by its very definition reflects the gender identity of a person when they are born. That simply cannot be altered. Inserting or deleting the letters FE before the word MALE on a document can never change the fact that transgender chose to change their sex.

There is nothing 'ludicrous' about this. Its plain and simple. The very fact that people change their gender acknowledges that they were born with a different one in the past. And the past can't be changed.

But of course anyone who points to such facts is automatically labled as homophobic bigot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

that man is saying it like it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

The clowns are critical of reporting on sucide, then what are they doing?.

Hitchens wrote: »
    that man is saying it like it is

Fionn Davenport.

First time I've seen him on the telly.

They must have let him out of the Newstalk studio for an hour.

He lives there under a desk with a flask of tea, always on standby to fill in for other presenters when they don't show up. Moncrieff and Hook are the worst culprits, but sometimes none of the presenters turn up at all and Fionn spends the whole day on the radio filling in for everyone.

When not filling in, he spends his time on Google under the desk researching things to talk about for his interesting stuff slot on Pat Kenny's show.

A great man altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

pat rabbitte has lost a bit of weight :pac:

he's no longer to be referred to as fat rabbitte

I was just thinking the same about Uncle Albert beside him !

I have just tuned in a few minutes ago. Is this the shopping channel or what?

I have just tuned in a few minutes ago. Is this the shopping channel or what?

chopping channel

Hello!! Nobody else watching tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Hello!! Nobody else watching tonight?

I foolishly switched over late, what do we have the old bag mlod cackling.
    gone to fúck as a program.

I foolishly switched over late, what do we have the old bag mlod cackling.
    gone to fúck as a program.
    Absolutely, Busted. Only half watching myself and M-L O'D is doing my head in

RTE One showing the outdated sexist nonsense at the moment, while TV3 are debating the recent barbaric treatment of a young woman in this country.

RTE One showing the outdated sexist nonsense at the moment, while TV3 are debating the recent barbaric treatment of a young woman in this country.

Nothing wrong with a good looking woman

The 'nod-and-wink' mentality towards legislation on this issue has come home to roost. We are incapable as a nation of facing up to real problems without genuflecting to the right-wing religious bigots.

Nothing wrong with a good looking woman

Agreed, but I'm not not allowed to watch VB tonight..... Bloody Roses :mad:

The 'nod-and-wink' mentality towards legislation on this issue has come home to roost. We are incapable as a nation of facing up to real problems without genuflecting to the right-wing religious bigots.

Absolutely.

Cora and her lot presumably wanted to force the woman to see out her pregnancy until full term - no regard for her well fare or state of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Very biased panel.

4 women who support abortion versus 1.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Very biased panel.

4 women who support abortion versus 1.

Maths was obviously not one of your best subjects......the TOTAL number on the panel is 4.

Great performance by Cora, she had to take control of the panel given the rest have their heads in the sand as there are two lives involved.

Maths was obviously not one of your best subjects......the TOTAL number on the panel is 4.

That pro choice woman is coming across brutally bad

Arguing for the woman's rights and overlooking the baby totally

Alison supports abortion and it ended up with Cora having to ask certain questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Alison supports abortion and it ended up with Cora having to ask certain questions.

And unable to answer questions.

Cora throws out the down syndrome emotive argument.

• Advertisement

In the UK some babies do be born alive from abortion and left to die, this is what Ivana wants it seems.

The woman in this case was treated brutally by the state.

In the UK some babies do be born alive from abortion and left to die, this is what Ivana wants it seems.

That's not what Ivana wants.

Irish women go to Britain every year for abortions. Something which people here just continue to ignore.

Sometimes, unfortunately, a choice has to be made. The so-called pro-life people just pretend that this never happens. It does happen and we have seen it happen.

Sometimes, unfortunately, a choice has to be made. The so-called pro-life people just pretend that this never happens. It does happen and we have seen it happen.

The anti-choice side just can't answer the question when it comes to tough situations like in this case.

They have been proven time and time again to be wrong in relation to every law enacted on abortion since the 1983 amendment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement