Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

It's still early, but but so far this is the least interesting in the series of 'People's Debates'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It was heartbreaking listening to that man who lost his wife last year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

MrsD007 wrote: »
    It was heartbreaking listening to that man who lost his wife last year :(

It seems his wife was badly treated by the the staff in the hospital, (those wonderful nurses and doctors that are always being praised). It's time we started laying the blame for poor performance where it's belongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Some of these people WANT to go abroad. It's true. Some don't, but young people want to get out and see the world. That will continue long after the recession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of these people WANT to go abroad. It's true. Some don't, but young people want to get out and see the world. That will continue long after the recession

And many of them do not.
    Some are leaving elderly or sick parents and wonder if they'll ever see them alive again.

And many of them do not.
    Some are leaving elderly or sick parents and wonder if they'll ever see them alive again.

I said that. I feel the same way myself. But I'll definitely go when I'm able, for a while at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Vincent Browne will be presenting live from The George on Saturday between 4 and 6PM for the referendum results.

That should be interesting (and noisy)!

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why are they all sitting at M&S christmas puds?

Drink it in.

We have a third world healthcare system :(

A relative of mine has been waiting for over 2.5 years for surgery, they went into hospital this morning for surgery only to be told at 5pm that that their surgery was cancelled :mad:

• Advertisement

We have a third world healthcare system :(

A relative of mine has been waiting for over 2.5 years for surgery, they went into hospital this morning for surgery only to be told at 5pm that that their surgery was cancelled :mad:

The problem is that Irish people want the best of everything while paying for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The problem is that Irish people want the best of everything while paying for nothing!

The health budget is paying for the best of everything but getting sh!te.

I'm not sure what you mean?

The person I referred to in my post has been working since they were 16 but couldn't afford to keep their private health insurance when their partner was put on a three day week. They've paid a heavy price for not having private health insurance.

I'm not sure what you mean?

The person I referred to in my post has been working since they were 16 but couldn't afford to keep their private health insurance when their partner was put on a three day week. They've paid a heavy price for not having private health insurance.

There is a particular problem in health whereby the hospital consultants have absolute discretion as to who gets treated or who doesn't. They will always prioritise their private patients over their public patients because it's in their financial interest to do so.
    Of course nobody dares to criticise the consultants. They always blame the 'managers' when in fact it is the consultants who ultimately decide who gets treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It seems really weird to give out Social Protection payments in post offices, at the inconvenience of the recipient, for the sole purpose of propping post offices up.

There is a particular problem in health whereby the hospital consultants have absolute discretion as to who gets treated or who doesn't. They will always prioritise their private patients over their public patients because it's in their financial interest to do so.
    Of course nobody dares to criticise the consultants. They always blame the 'managers' when in fact it is the consultants who ultimately decide who gets treated.

That just denotes another Government failing though.

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

RayM wrote: »
    It seems really weird to give out Social Protection payments in post offices, at the inconvenience of the recipient, for the sole purpose of propping post offices up.

It's a hard one... The post office certainly is a social hub, and contributes a lot to society.. But if they direct debited the Department Of Social Protection payments to people's accounts directly, this would leave more money to provide other services...

In fairness, who would be a TD... I have no love for Ciara Conway, but to have to sit there while the village idiot throws sponges at you to the jeers and boos of the baying mob... Why dont one of those fools put their names forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's a hard one... The post office certainly is a social hub, and contributes a lot to society.. But if they direct debited the Department Of Social Protection payments to people's accounts directly, this would leave more money to provide other services...

Social hub it may be but it must also be a bit of an awkward stigma all the same for genuine people on hard times collecting welfare in front of everyone they know in the local post office. Can't be the most pleasant feeling.

• Advertisement

You reckon the banks would provide the service for free?.....
    That would be a first :eek:

Every village should have a university??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

How convenient. Who else can we blame?

I think Vincent is being very unfair to the Renua candidate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Vinny having great fun with this one

The Dunnes Stores workers would want to be careful or they'll be seeing the postmaster every Tuesday...

• Advertisement

Yeah, boycott Dunnes Stores. That will really help the staff?

Oh dear god.. Who is this clown... As if the thing wasnt enough of a shambles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

His accent isn't bad tbf

Oh dear god.. Who is this clown... As if the thing wasnt enough of a shambles..

This 'act' certainly sums up the debate........a complete joke.

Is there a FF man on the panel or are they too scared to appear?

• Advertisement

Was that a glimpse of Kathryn Reilly the Sinn Fein Candidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I don't think they do. Gone to Florida to look after their sore back

"And that doesnt include JobBridge figures"..

Oh jaysus, dont mention the war....

Also, the people shouting at the back should be thrown out...

No diddly-eye music?

FFdoesn't have a TD for Waterford, I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Social hub it may be but it must also be a bit of an awkward stigma all the same for genuine people on hard times collecting welfare in front of everyone they know in the local post office. Can't be the most pleasant feeling.

It doesn't help that a lot of local post offices are owned and run by miserable, entitled bastards who couldn't crack a smile to save their lives, and seem to reserve a lot of disdain for social welfare recipients. If my local post office closed down, I'd be absolutely delighted for them.

That Gavin chap looks like one of the characters on Mad Men..

Sarah's hair really suits her like that

So the taxpayers were subsidizing the electric bills of big industry... that's pretty sickening..

So the taxpayers were subsidizing the electric bills of big industry... that's pretty sickening..

Take a bow, Eamon Ryan.

• Advertisement

Take a bow, Eamon Ryan.

He's been on the radio stations recently, I think with a view to the next election... I cant see him being too quick to go on the radio for the next few weeks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

Waiting 2 and a half years and then complaining when the surgery is cancelled is wanting the best of everything? Jog on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

RayM wrote: »

Nearest bank to me is 15 miles in one direction or 20 miles the other way. Added to the fact that Bank of Ireland Strokestown can't accept cash lodgements over the counter on a Wednesday! At least a human is present at a post office if only to assist people. In my experience the inconvenience is in the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I noticed tonight that Waterford were again claiming a part of Kilkenny, this time Belview where Glanbia built their new factory. Not Waterford...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The George is going to be busy Saturday. I don't know how they will be able to do a live programme without noise and interference. Should be fun!

Have the auditors acted illegally so

Poor oul Vinnie is like King Canute in a white collar wild west here.

Jaysus sorry for mixing so many metaphors.

Have the auditors acted illegally so

Possibly...........but proving it in court might be problematic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Both Vincent and this guy have fundamentally misunderstood the role of an Auditor.

There is a discussion to be had and some distance to go on this whole issue, so it's an absolute shame that they are so far off the mark on this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Possibly...........but proving it in court might be problematic!

They absolutely have not. And secondly, nothing is difficult to prove in court, there are some brains out there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement