Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Aaaaaagghhhh ! I can't stand him. I never missed the Vincent Browne show, never. Now I switch off when I see Ivan Yates!

He thinks he's funny, he's not, he's arrogant . I don't like him at all on Newtalk he takes over every sound ite and makes it about him !

I'll really miss Vinny .....he's modest, self deprecating and naturally funny.

I wasn't keen on Yates myself either but I though he was a good interviewer on both Sunday and last nights shows.

I think Vinny has lost his edge a bit, and that's to be expected for a man over 70 but he seems to forget the question he is asking some of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I think Vinny has lost his edge a bit, and that's to be expected for a man over 70 but he seems to forget the question he is asking some of the time.
    He's still twice the presenter, and twice the intellectual, of any of them over on rte or at his own station.

I don't mind Yates either though. He has a funny head and he seems quite honest and fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Canadel wrote: »
    He's still twice the presenter, and twice the intellectual, of any of them over on rte or at his own station.

I don't mind Yates either though. He has a funny head and he seems quite honest and fair.

He's a biased presenter who targets anyone trying to actually do something.

He's a biased presenter who targets anyone trying to actually do something.
    Haven't you a recovery to keep going or something?

Canadel wrote: »
    Haven't you a recovery to keep going or something?

Unemployment down again.

Yes, recovery well on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Mick Clifford may be a genius of a journalist, (may be, may be not,) but he's no good at TV. What is it with broadcasters that they pick certain journalists and give them every gig going? Laziness?

Mick Clifford may be a genius of a journalist, (may be, may be not,) but he's no good at TV. What is it with broadcasters that they pick certain journalists and give them every gig going? Laziness?

Only Sam Smyth was more boring on the show when he was the stand in IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

This FF clown pay the bill and we will abolish the water charge, are these clowns for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Politicians and the D4 media just don't get it, probably because they're paid too much.
    Water charges came at the end of a long list of new and increased taxes - USC, Property Tax, cuts to OAP allowances, cuts to carers etc. It was the water tax that broke the camel's back, irrespective of the amount. Throw in Big Phil's moronic and bullying attitude, the bonuses and salaries to the directors of Irish Water, and the awarding of contracts to friends of Fine Gael - and they still don't get why people won't pay :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Abridgett

You would know from the head of her that this Brid Smith was going to anti everything. I'm so sick of moaning from AAA PBP.
    Eamon Ryan is the only one there tonight making any sense so far.

• Advertisement

Politicians and the D4 media just don't get it, probably because they're paid too much.
    Water charges came at the end of a long list of new and increased taxes - USC, Property Tax, cuts to OAP allowances, cuts to carers etc. It was the water tax that broke the camel's back, irrespective of the amount. Throw in Big Phil's moronic and bullying attitude, the bonuses and salaries to the directors and the awarding of contracts to friends of Fine Gael - and they still don't get why people won't pay :rolleyes:
    Yeah, that's a pretty good summation of the situation. Have to say, as someone who already pays for water usage on a private scheme, it would be absolutely hilarious to see IW shut down. I still think society should be moving towards paying for water usage, but the way in which IW was implemented, and the amount of fat cats, favours and scandalous salaries of IW heads involved, makes me hope they all suffer a serious blow. Unfortunately, it will be the ordinary worker who loses out, but it will be for the right reasons. The end of IW might send a shock wave through the culture of corporate and political cronyism in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Abridgett wrote: »
    You would know from the head of her that this Brid Smith was going to anti everything. I'm so sick of moaning from AAA PBP.
    Eamon Ryan is the only one there tonight making any sense so far.

I would love to ask the question "what should people pay for?". No doubt the answer would be that only the rich should pay. These lads aren't overburdened with heavy thinking.

Who's your man with the beard? He speaks sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I would love to ask the question "what should people pay for?". No doubt the answer would be that only the rich should pay. These lads aren't overburdened with heavy thinking.

Irish Independent journo. Can't remember his name. He should have run, he'd have my vote.

Brid Smith is floundering pretty badly here.

Local councils were too busy wasting money on building fancy new offices to be bothered with spending money on water infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I think it's Fionan Sheehan in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

https://twitter.com/paulbmelia

Paul Melia, Environment Editor for Independent.

sheep? wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/paulbmelia

Paul Melia, Environment Editor for Independent.

A Denis OBrien employee, sure he would have no interest in water meters.:rolleyes:

Water charges came at the end of a long list of new and increased taxes - USC, Property Tax, cuts to OAP allowances, cuts to carers etc. It was the water tax that broke the camel's back, irrespective of the amount. Throw in Big Phil's moronic and bullying attitude, the bonuses and salaries to the directors of Irish Water, and the awarding of contracts to friends of Fine Gael - and they still don't get why people won't pay :rolleyes:

Not to mention Alan f###ing Kelly !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

A Denis OBrien employee, sure he would have no interest in water meters.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: indeed

try to focus on the content of a persons words rather than what team you think they play for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

indeed

try to focus on the content of a persons words rather than what team you think they play for

Anything that comes out of The Independent should immediately treated with suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Exactly!! I don't understand how they don't get this!! Thought Mick Clifford would burst a blood vessel tonight. Have been totally amused all day to hear IW being discussed all over the media by commentators who believed it was a non-issue
    before the election!! As you say, it was the straw which broke the camel's back. We were punch drunk from so many charges when they landed this on us. FF are all over the place on IW. Willie O'Dea said it was a redline issue a few days ago.
    He backtracked on that yesterday, saying it was something they were definitely 'going to pursue'.
    Sean Fleming on Tonight on TV3 flat out denied it was a redline issue!! He was pathetic on The Late Debate earlier tonight. Got all tongue-tied at
    Brophy's? interrogation. All the panellists on that programme seemed shell-shocked that IW is back on the menu!! Am loving it!! Especially the journalist who came on to TV3 tonight to discuss tomorrow's papers with Clifford. Said he was wearing a black tie for IW'S funeral!! :):)

Is Vinny on holidays?

It's like watching paint dry these days when he isn't presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I miss Vincent. Definitely.

Brid Smith must've had media training. Not answering question directed at her, but deflecting and waffling on instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

tampopo wrote: »
    I miss Vincent. Definitely.

Brid Smith must've had media training. Not answering question directed at her, but deflecting and waffling on instead.
    I didnt see it tonight. I find her very hard to listen to. Vinny wouldnt take any bull from her if her if he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Vinnie's back !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Vinnie doing his usual hatchet job on Enda Kenny. He seems to have a personal issue with Enda which is unprofessional, to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Vinnie's back !

Was he ill?

Great to have him back. He will cut through the FG+FF playing-hard-to-get nonsense fairly fast over the coming weeks.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Vinnie doing his usual hatchet job on Enda Kenny. He seems to have a personal issue with Enda which is unprofessional, to say the least!

Vinny is right to take the fraud to task a leader that hides behind the curtain.

Mortgage arrears is down below 100,000 that is because of the evictions and emigration.

Was he ill?

Great to have him back. He will cut through the FG+FF playing-hard-to-get nonsense fairly fast over the coming weeks.

While cozying up to the lefties who haven't a clue other than "what do we want,when do we want it-now ".

Browne has no credibility, fair play to Kenny for not playing his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Browne has no credibility, fair play to Kenny for not playing his game.

Then whose game does Kenny play?

coolhull wrote: »
    Then whose game does Kenny play?

What he's paid for, I would suggest, running the country, not taking on a tag team debate with a biased referee.

Smart stays away from Browne.

What he's paid for, I would suggest, running the country, not taking on a tag team debate with a biased referee.

Smart stays away from Browne.

Name one Tshirt since the start of TV who had not got the guts to face his people. IMO the only one is the Castlebar spoofer.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

Vincent isnt to happy at all

The show is so broken tonight

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

Vincent isnt to happy at all

The show is so broken tonight

They should close this circus down and give that old man his pension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

TV3 should be shut down.

Ad break immediately after Vincent introduces his guests.
    Ads on a continuous loop for about 10 minutes
    Return to find that the panel we had been introduced to was actually recorded earlier, and the recording had now been lost.

Basically, we are winging it for the next hour.

The winging it is not going well.

and here's Martin King ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Haven't seen vinb in a while, but is it me or has he got more doddery than usual? Watching tonight made me feel very uncomfortable, I was worried Vin was gonna keel over at some stage

Name one Tshirt since the start of TV who had not got the guts to face his people. IMO the only one is the Castlebar spoofer.:D

He's faced his people many times, and rescued the country from bankruptcy.

In my opinion he is dead right not to grace Brownes circus with his presence.

Time Browne rode off into the sunset muttering and mumbling about alledged 'injustice' and 'corruption' .

Time some people thought about responsibilities rather than entitlement a bit more.

Haven't seen vinb in a while, but is it me or has he got more doddery than usual? Watching tonight made me feel very uncomfortable, I was worried Vin was gonna keel over at some stage

He's gone very bad all right, think it's time to hand over the reins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

He's faced his people many times, and rescued the country from bankruptcy.

In my opinion he is dead right not to grace Brownes circus with his presence.

Time Browne rode off into the sunset muttering and mumbling about alledged 'injustice' and 'corruption' .

Time some people thought about responsibilities rather than entitlement a bit more.

I wonder when Kenny & his cronies are going to do that ?

I wonder when Kenny & his cronies are going to do that ?

Been doing that for the last five years Jack.

Time others who have been roaring and shouting from the sidelines bigged up and put their money where their mouth is.

Don't expect that to happen though, these people prefer to hunker down, sit on the bench and criticise those out 'on the pitch '

You don't fool the Brenner, Jack, get your troops into power and stop waffling and sidestepping around issues,go do something about them, go put forward solutions,go implement them, annoy a few people instead of trying to promulgate Mom and Apple Pie politics like ' tax the rich' and stuff.

Need to up your game ,Jack

Time others who have been roaring and shouting from the sidelines bigged up and put their money where their mouth is.

Don't expect that to happen though, these people prefer to hunker down, sit on the bench and criticise those out 'on the pitch '

You don't fool the Brenner, Jack, get your troops into power and stop waffling and sidestepping around issues,go do something about them, go put forward solutions,go implement them, annoy a few people instead of trying to promulgate Mom and Apple Pie politics like ' tax the rich' and stuff.

Try and get out in the real world and talk to people, with an attitude like that you need to get out more, nothing personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

He's gone very bad all right, think it's time to hand over the reins.

Mick Clifford, who's not very good, is way better than Browne. At least with him the discussion progresses. With Browne it just circulates, with him just waiting to get onto one of his rubbishy hobbyhorses. He eviscerates (or attempts to - are you not ashamed?? stuff) any simpleton he disagrees with and tolerates any garbage from the unfair/inequality brigades.

As an asthma sufferer myself I wouldn't swap my lungs for Brownes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

You're waffling and making up Enda-esque fiction about "troops" that I'm supposed to have, and yet I'm the one who has to up my game ? :confused:

Brainwashed "us and them" terminology if you ask me. Or just **** stirring for kicks with zero worthwhile input. Or both.

You're waffling and making up Enda-esque fiction about "troops" that I'm supposed to have, and yet I'm the one who has to up my game ? :confused:

Brainwashed "us and them" terminology if you ask me. Or just **** stirring for kicks with zero worthwhile input. Or both.

Just saying the truth Jack, cutting through the waffle and rhetoric Jack.

You apparently don't like that approach, not surprised to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Just saying the truth Jack, cutting through the waffle and rhetoric Jack.

Brendan my man, you need to ask yourself : Is it the real truth or is it just Fine Gael "truth"?
    74 per cent of the electorate didn't swallow the FG version of what constitutes the truth. Strange, isn't it?

Brendan my man, you need to ask yourself : Is it the real truth or is it just Fine Gael "truth"?
    74 per cent of the electorate didn't swallow the FG version of what constitutes the truth. Strange, isn't it?

Bren needs to remember to pay his Fine Gael subscription this year. The number of members must be dwindling fast.

Not strange at all Huller.

FG just didn't bring people with them ,did all the heavy lifting but the entitlement classes didn't appreciate that.

What's their mantra?

What do we want, when do we want it NOW

The ' now' is the important bit.

These guys don't do waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

What I got from 'Dr' Ali Selim from the Islamic Cultural Centre was that European can expect what happened in Brussels is because Muslims are marginalised and disadvantaged.

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement