Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Vincent was very quiet tonight with Ali Salem....I thought he always asked the hard questions.

Or is that only when it's a Fine Gael councillor at one of his "debates"?

Cowardly performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Vincent was very quiet tonight with Ali Salem....I thought he always asked the hard questions.

Cowardly performance.
    Vincent probably didn't prepare too much for the question as his question was rambling and formed more of a statement than a question.

Selim was on for the newspaper reviews. Newspapers weren't reviewed on the show tonight other than Vincent reading out the front pages and making some few comments on some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Cowardly performance.

Amongst many previous cowardly performances.

People are cottoning on to Browne at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Someone people like Vincent, some people don't. If we like him, fine. If we don't, we can switch to another channel. No big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Did VB (should be renamed VD as he is like a bad dose) completely screw his mathematics last night also. He said €4b would only build 4000 houses. I'll take one of those for free on welfare!! Some pad!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Amongst many previous cowardly performances.

Easy on those lemons BB! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Did VB (should be renamed VD as he is like a bad dose) completely screw his mathematics last night also. He said €4b would only build 4000 houses. I'll take one of those for free on welfare!! Some pad!:D

He's been winging it for a while now. No preparation at all. He just wants to have a rant at anyone from FG or Lab while he gives the looney left a free ride.

coolhull wrote: »
    Someone people like Vincent, some people don't. If we like him, fine. If we don't, we can switch to another channel. No big deal.

That's why I never watch the lad Huller, way too bulked up with an agenda for this poster.

Enjoy:o

That's why I never watch the lad Huller, way too bulked up with an agenda for this poster.

But Brendan, for someone who doesn't ever watch the show, you seem to hold strong opinions on Vincent Browne. Are your opinions just based on hearsay, then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Because asking difficult questions, demanding answers and holding powerful people to account is an agenda!

You only want VB gone because you know there's nobody capable of replacing him.

• Advertisement

But Brendan, for someone who doesn't ever watch the show, you seem to hold strong opinions on Vincent Browne. Are your opinions just based on hearsay, then?

Yes,Huller,hearsay,you are probably too young to remember but Vin used to do a Late Debate show on Rte radio.

Starting at 2200.

Let me tell you the mo.

Vinnie and his usual buddy Sean Ardagh would josh and joke about 'things' and such, before getting in some low grade FG councillor who would then be torn apart by Browne who would then continue joshing with Ardagh and although he was a sitting FF deputy would give him an easy ride.

No hard questions asked, just like he does now on his TV show, same m. o.

So, as you say, hearsay.

Canadel wrote: »
    Because asking difficult questions, demanding answers and holding powerful people to account is an agenda!

You only want VB gone because you know there's nobody capable of replacing him.

Where did I say I want Browne gone?

In Brownes arena, impartiality and fairness is paramount.

Browne has little of those qualities, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

And some people can watch and criticize (as much as they like).

Good loser wrote: »
    And some people can watch and criticize (as much as they like).

Heaven forbid that anyone should begrudge your right to comment or criticise. That right extends to you, me, and oddly enough, even Vincent Browne.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Clare is looking pretty alright tonight, Mick doing some good then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In Brownes arena, impartiality and fairness is paramount.

Browne has little of those qualities, in my opinion.

I'm struggling to think of an Irish broadcaster with those qualities - the media and political establishment in this country enjoy a very cosy relationship. Browne isn't perfect, but journalism should be about holding those with power to account - something the vast majority of RTE journalists (I'm thinking of the likes of Sean O'Rourke, Cathal Mac Coille, Miriam O'Callaghan, etc) fail to do.

RayM wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of an Irish broadcaster with those qualities - the media and political establishment in this country enjoy a very cosy relationship. Browne isn't perfect, but journalism should be about holding those with power to account - something the vast majority of RTE journalists (I'm thinking of the likes of Sean O'Rourke, Cathal Mac Coille, Miriam O'Callaghan, etc) fail to do.

Surely it should be holding everybody to account, not just those in power?

Surely it should be holding everybody to account, not just those in power?

And Vincent Browne does a far better job of that than any of RTE's high paid current affairs presenters.

And Vincent Browne does a far better job of that than any of RTE's high paid current affairs presenters.

Do not agree there, completely biased, purely trying to big himself up by pillorying low level people in power and snuggling up to those who oppose them

Nah Raymond, cannot agree with that assessment.

Do not agree there, completely biased, purely trying to big himself up by pillorying low level people in power and snuggling up to those who oppose them

...whereas RTE 'journalists' snuggle up to those in power and pillory those who oppose them. It seems that you only have an issue with bias when you perceive the establishment to be its victims.

• Advertisement

...whereas RTE 'journalists' snuggle up to those in power and pillory those who oppose them. It seems that you only have an issue with bias when you perceive the establishment to be its victims.

Bit harsh Raymond, and personal.

No need for that on Easter Week.

Bit harsh Raymond, and personal.

No need for that on Easter Week.

Hardly harsh or personal, to be honest...

It would take at least ten Vincent Brownes to balance RTE's pro-establishment bias.

Hardly harsh or personal, to be honest...

It would take at least ten Vincent Brownes to balance RTE's pro-establishment bias.

I don't agree Ray.

RTE have a public service obligation to provide balance, that spancels them to an extent.

On the other hand Browne from way back has a modus operandi of lacing in to some low level rep. of those in power,whilst cozying up to those on the left who never achieved anything other than roaring and shouting about people who are trying to achieve things.

There's the difference Raymond.

I don't agree Ray.

RTE have a public service obligation to provide balance, that spancels them to an extent.

On the other hand Browne from way back has a modus operandi of lacing in to some low level rep. of those in power,whilst cozying up to those on the left who never achieved anything other than roaring and shouting about people who are trying to achieve things.

There's the difference Raymond.

RTE fails miserably to provide balance. I'm no Sinn Fein voter, but the way that party was treated by RTE throughout the election campaign was a disgrace. RTE presenters have grown so comfortable snuggling up to the establishment parties that they are genuinely terrified of any alternative.

RTE fails miserably to provide balance. I'm no Sinn Fein voter, but the way that party was treated by RTE throughout the election campaign was a disgrace. RTE presenters have grown so comfortable snuggling up to the establishment parties that they are genuinely terrified of any alternative.

We could go on with the' I say black and you say white' Ray, but, frankly, I'm getting bored with that game .

Sorry ' bout that.

Have a good Easter.

We could go on with the' I say black and you say white' Ray, but, frankly, I'm getting bored with that game .

Sorry ' bout that.

Have a good Easter.

The facts aren't on your side, so I don't blame you. Merry Easter.

The facts aren't on your side, so I don't blame you. Merry Easter.

Facts are well on my side,Ray.

Seems you want to kick this off,so I'm up for it.

Let's start with 'what proof have you got which says the facts are not on my side'

What proof have you got which says 'Rte are not balanced in their output '

what proof have you got that SF didn't get fair play in the last GE coverage.

Facts are well on my side,Ray.

Seems you want to kick this off,so I'm up for it.

Let's start with 'what proof have you got which says the facts are not on my side'

What proof have you got which says 'Rte are not balanced in their output '

what proof have you got that SF didn't get fair play in the last GE coverage.

The most obvious example was on the Late Late Show, when Paul Williams was allowed to smear Sinn Fein voters as supporters of organised crime, just days before the election, without being corrected. Imagine the uproar if he had said that corrupt people are more likely vote for Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, citing the likes of Denis O'Brien, Michael Lowry, Ray Burke, Bertie Ahern, etc as examples. You might argue that Tubridy's failure to interject was down to incompetence rather than outright bias, but when we look at Sean O'Rourke and Cathal Mac Coille's hectoring, abrasive interviews with Gerry Adams (which should be compared with their cosy little chats with the other leaders), a pattern begins to emerge. I'm not suggesting that Sinn Fein shouldn't be scrutinised - just that the other parties should receive the same sort of treatment, rather than the usual respectful, chummy... almost reverent tone adopted by RTE presenters.

The most obvious example was on the Late Late Show, when Paul Williams was allowed to smear Sinn Fein voters as supporters of organised crime, just days before the election, without being corrected. Imagine the uproar if he had said that corrupt people are more likely vote for Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, citing the likes of Denis O'Brien, Michael Lowry, Ray Burke, Bertie Ahern, etc as examples. You might argue that Tubridy's failure to interject was down to incompetence rather than outright bias, but when we look at Sean O'Rourke and Cathal Mac Coille's hectoring, abrasive interviews with Gerry Adams (which should be compared with their cosy little chats with the other leaders), a pattern begins to emerge. I'm not suggesting that Sinn Fein shouldn't be scrutinised - just that the other parties should receive the same sort of treatment, rather than the usual respectful, chummy... almost reverent tone adopted by RTE presenters.

Raymond, those are 'your opinions '

The question posed was what proof have you got.

Que?

• Advertisement

Que?

I think it would be somewhat obtuse to suggest that the examples I have given aren't evidence of a pattern of pro-establishment bias within RTE. Incidentally, Vincent Browne is also harsh on Sinn Fein. The main difference being that he is equally harsh towards FF/FG.

I think it would be somewhat obtuse to suggest that the examples I have given aren't evidence of a pattern of pro-establishment bias within RTE. Incidentally, Vincent Browne is also harsh on Sinn Fein. The main difference being that he is equally harsh towards FF/FG.

Perhaps you might like to peruse this

http://www.rte.ie/documents/about/public-service-broadcasting-charter.pdf

I can think of several well-paid presenters who could benefit from reading that.

I can think of several well-paid presenters who could benefit from reading that.

So, is this discussion just going to be Mr Raymond just throwing out 'observations' with no back up, no serious examples, just generalations like "several well-paid presenters".

Is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Dead right! If he had any integrity whatsoever he'd go straight to our Walter Mitty of a former Taoiseach!

Browne is a disgrace that he hadn't the balls to invite him on.....

So, is this discussion just going to be Mr Raymond just throwing out 'observations' with no back up, no serious examples, just generalations like "several well-paid presenters".

Is it?

I've given you serious examples, Mr Bendar. You appear to have merely dismissed them as 'my opinion'. Tellingly, you have done this without proffering any substantive opinion of your own. Was it fair that Tubridy didn't challenge Williams' outrageous claims? Was the tone Sean O'Rourke adopted towards Gerry Adams (Feb 18th) the same as the tone he adopted towards the Taoiseach (Feb 17th) or that nice Micheal Martin (Feb 19th)?

• Advertisement

Que?

What is the difference between your "opinions" and Raymond's, Bendy ? Didn't I see you elsewhere advising that people's opinions should be respected and that they should be allowed to voice them ?

What is the difference between your "opinions" and Raymond's, Bendy ? Didn't I see you elsewhere advising that people's opinions should be respected and that they should be allowed to voice them ?

Jack!! Me auld flower, coming in from left field eh?

I'm respecting Raymond's opinions,lad, duddnt mean they have any credence though.

Can you dig him out of the trench, Jack?

What's the expression, ' fighting a 360 degree war '. :D

Fair play, burning up Boards.ies bandwidth, so you are.

No harm in that, I say, no harm at all.;)

I'm respecting Raymond's opinions,lad, duddnt mean they have any credence though.)

It's almost as if you're giving them too much respect. I mean, feel free to tell me that it was totally fair and balanced of Tubridy not to challenge Paul Williams' allegations. Also, feel free to claim that the tone Sean O'Rourke adopted towards Gerry Adams was the very same as that which he adopted towards the Taoiseach or that nice Micheal Martin. I would very much welcome your opinion.

It's almost as if you're giving them too much respect. I mean, feel free to tell me that it was totally fair and balanced of Tubridy not to challenge Paul Williams' allegations. Also, feel free to claim that the tone Sean O'Rourke adopted towards Gerry Adams was the very same as that which he adopted towards the Taoiseach or that nice Micheal Martin. I would very much welcome your opinion.

So now we are down to individual presenters reactions to interviews, do we have to parse and analyse every last word and nuance .

That's not the way it works Raymond, the regulations are there, if RTE flouted those regs. let's have proof and instance.

Stop digging Raymond.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've given you serious examples, Mr Bendar. You appear to have merely dismissed them as 'my opinion'. Tellingly, you have done this without proffering any substantive opinion of your own. Was it fair that Tubridy didn't challenge Williams' outrageous claims? Was the tone Sean O'Rourke adopted towards Gerry Adams (Feb 18th) the same as the tone he adopted towards the Taoiseach (Feb 17th) or that nice Micheal Martin (Feb 19th)?

I don't William's claims were that outrageous.

At the time Sinn Fein were saying they wanted to get rid of the special criminal court. The special criminal court is prob one of the only ways you can actually stop organised crime in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Maybe Sean O;Rourke was influenced by the Boston College tapes where former colleagues of Gerry Adams gave evidence of Gerry being on the IRA army council or maybe he was influenced by the fact that Gerry has been questioned about murder unlike the Taoiseach and Michael Martin( to the best of my knowledge)

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I don't William's claims were that outrageous.

At the time Sinn Fein were saying they wanted to get rid of the special criminal court. The special criminal court is prob one of the only ways you can actually stop organised crime in Ireland.

He referred to potential Sinn Fein voters as "drug dealers, kidnappers and terrorists". A week before the election. On the most popular television show in the country. And it went unchallenged. Imagine the uproar from pro-establishment posters on here if a guest on Vincent Browne's show was given free reign to refer to FG/FF and their voters as being big fans of corruption.
    Maybe Sean O;Rourke was influenced by the Boston College tapes where former colleagues of Gerry Adams gave evidence of Gerry being on the IRA army council or maybe he was influenced by the fact that Gerry has been questioned about murder unlike the Taoiseach and Michael Martin( to the best of my knowledge)

You misunderstand my posts. I'm not suggesting that Adams should be given the soft-soap treatment, or that his past should be brushed over. What I am suggesting is that Enda Kenny and Micheal Martin (whose parties have been up to their necks in corruption and economic mismanagement for decades) should not be given the kid-gloves treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

s. I'm not suggesting that Adams should be given the soft-soap treatment, or that his past should be brushed over. What I am suggesting is that Enda Kenny and Micheal Martin (whose parties have been up to their necks in corruption and economic mismanagement for decades) should not be given the kid-gloves treatment.

You said you didn't like the 'tone ' adopted by O'Rourke. But if O'Rourke is exasperated by someone who can't give a straight answer on Sinn Fein policy and won't give a straight answer on his own past activities how can you blame him. No, I'm afraid that outside of the cult followers of Sinn Fein nobody really regards Adams as having any credibility.

You said you didn't like the 'tone ' adopted by O'Rourke. But if O'Rourke is exasperated by someone who can't give a straight answer on Sinn Fein policy and won't give a straight answer on his own past activities how can you blame him. No, I'm afraid that outside of the cult followers of Sinn Fein nobody really regards Adams as having any credibility.

A politician not giving a straight answer... Well, fancy that.

Anyway, Mick Nugent from Atheist Ireland is on the show tonight. Imagine accidentally using the phrase "Thank God" in his presence. I wonder how long would it take before he'd chime in with "Well, actually..."

I've no PC way to ask this ....... so I won't but if some one want's to give me a yes or no and save me a likely ban for asking :confused:

We can't answer your question till you ask it... Go on, Enfilade, take a chance!

We can't answer your question till you ask it... Go on, Enfilade, take a chance!

I've got my wife saying do it, do it like a devil on my shoulder.

Guest in the middle used to be a man right ?

No. She's a theologian in Trinity and, to the best of my knowledge, has never been a man.

Jaysis, I never thought of looking, and it probably too late now. Anyway s/he is talkin nonsense so it does'nt matter what the gender might be

I'm no fan of Adams and could see myself never voting SF in my lifetime due to their double-standards re atrocities, but when it comes to not giving a straight answer Kenny leads the way

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement