Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

technocrat wrote: »
    No.

A party that supported same-sex marriage, is unashamedly pro EU and increased the minimum wage as soon as they got into government can hardly be categorised as right wing!

They restored the minimum wage (at Labours insistence) back to what it was before Fianna Fail cut it as they were leaving Government. Then another megre increase, later on.

And support for same sex marriage has got nothing to do with right, left or central politics. The majority of people who voted for it were from all types of backgrounds. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Browne is a washout, packed deck and tear the hole out of some poor gimp trying to actually do something while the wasters on the sidelines the stuck in.

Fair play to Enda for telling him to shove his show up his hoop, figuratively speaking.

Saw what going on.

"In 1994, he sought a nomination for the Fine Gael party in that year's European elections or the possible general election of that year (it was thought a general election might follow the collapse of the Albert Reynolds' government). He was rebuffed by the leader of Fine Gael and future Taoiseach, John Bruton. He then became a vocal critic of the party"

A bitter bitter man. Pathetic really he still can't let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

They didn't increase the minimum wage, they just restored it (at Labours insistence) back to what it was before Fianna Fail cut it as they were leaving Government.

And support for same sex marriage has got nothing to do with right, left or central politics. The majority of people who voted for it were from all types of backgrounds. :cool:

Restored/increased it to one of the highest min wages in Europe.
    Yes same-sex marriage is vehemently opposed by right wing governments who always support traditional marriage - but you know that already.

Restored/increased it to one of the highest min wages in Europe.
    Yes same-sex marriage is vehemently opposed by right wing governments who always support traditional marriage - but you know that already.
    So would you live on the minumum wage then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I notice that Leo's predecessor and successor in the Department of Health (Dr. James Reilly and Simon Harris) are both supporting Simon Conveney it makes me wonder is it linked to how they perceived Leo's time as a Health Minister..... maybe they're underwhelmed by his time there. I'd love to get chapter and verse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

So would you live on the minumum wage then?

Yes why not?

There is thousands of people that happily live on the minimum wage working in fast food outlets and hotels most of which have moved from the other end of the continent.

Yes why not?

There is thousands of people that happily live on the minimum wage working in fast food outlets and hotels most of which have moved from the other end of the continent.
    Minimum wage is pretty crappy but I'd be more concerned about zero hour contracts.

"In 1994, he sought a nomination for the Fine Gael party in that year's European elections or the possible general election of that year (it was thought a general election might follow the collapse of the Albert Reynolds' government). He was rebuffed by the leader of Fine Gael and future Taoiseach, John Bruton.

He then became a vocal critic of the party"

A bitter bitter man. Pathetic really he still can't let it go
    In fairness to Vinny, he's all for equal opportunities - he'll have a go at any politician, it doesn't matter what party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

In fairness to Vinny, he's all for equal opportunities - he'll have a go at any politician, it doesn't matter what party.[/B]

Yeah right.

All he does is pander to the lefties now. Has a go at the government over travellers rights, Muslims, etc.

He knows where his bread is buttered.

• Advertisement

Yes why not?

You would yeah........
    http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3sirqh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Browne is a pathetic, narrow minded host - determined that we'll hear his opinions above all others. Outrageously biased he will lap up any kind of drivel from Brid Smith and her fellow travellers.

Notice how all these 'tweeting reporters' select and dish up self serving rubbish that panders to his biases/prejudices. I guess otherwise they wouldn't be heard of again - a la Fionnan Sheehan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Exactly, the only people in this country who opposed it were far-right headbangers like the Iona Institute, etc. And the referendum would never have happened without Labour forcing Fine Gael into it - One of the few decent things they did in government.

Vincent Browne's great. He annoys the right kind of people...

RayM wrote: »
    Vincent Browne's great. He annoys the right kind of people...

Lol, True, see Good Losers quote above. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Varadkar was clearly talking about people who go out every day to work and pay their taxes, something lefties and the people who will never work a day in their life don't want to hear.

For the political anoraks out there like myself :o FG will be streaming the first of four of the FG leaderships debates at 8pm this evening on their website.

https://www.finegael.ie/leadership-campaign-2017/

• Advertisement

Varadkar was clearly talking about people who go out every day to work and pay their taxes, something lefties and the people who will never work a day in their life don't want to hear.
    I've been lucky enough to be in employment for the last 25 years. But if i ever, god forbid, lost my job, i don't want the likes of you and other right wing nutters judging me as i claim the dole. You have no empathy. You'd deem us all as scum. Life isn't all as black and white as you'd like to think. :cool:

Last Friday, our two Clare Fine Gael TDs - Joe Carey & Pat Breen were like two nodding puppies beside Simon Coveney during a press conference in Clare. By midnight both TDs had declared for Leo as soon as Simon had safely exited the county.

In this week's Clare Champion Newspaper, the eight sitting Fine Gael county councillors were asked who they would be supporting in the leadership contest. So far, no one has declared for Leo, with the majority leaning towards Simon, as Clare is a rural constituency it's probably not that surprising. However, it would appear our two TDs are out of touch with the FG grassroots, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Cllr Pat Burke - still undecided
    Cllr Joe Cooney - Simon Coveney
    Cllr John Crowe - still undecided
    Cllr Johnny Flynn - Undeclared but 'I've a strong leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Mary Howard - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Gabriel Keating - Undeclared 'At the moment I'd have a leaning towards Simon Coveney'
    Cllr Paul Murphy - Simon Coveney
    Cllr Bill Slattery - Undeclared

So guys, who do ye think won the first debate?

I felt Simon played a blinder, his opening speech was much stronger than Leo's (IMO).

I've been lucky enough to be in employment for the last 25 years. But if i ever, god forbid, lost my job, i don't want the likes of you and other right wing nutters judging me as i claim the dole. You have no empathy. You'd deem us all as scum. Life isn't all as black and white as you'd like to think. :cool:

Theres a big difference between someone who lost their job through no fault of their own and someone who doesn't want to work which is why in my original post I was quite specific about when I mentioned people who will never work in their lives.

Also it seems to be ok on this forum for lefties to call people in the right nutters but if the shoe was on the other foot the ban hammer would be out in force.

I feel that Simon addressed this issue well last night, he wants to investigate the reasons why some people choose not to work. It could be down to issues like the cost of childcare doesn't make it a feasible option.

I feel the government need to start offering a childcare tax credit for people paying for childcare for young children (under 5). It should end when the child starts school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 bubsy

A bit of confusion here. Unemployment benefits you have paid for yourself. The dole other people have paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I feel that Simon addressed this issue well last night, he wants to investigate the reasons why some people choose not to work. It could be down to issues like the cost of childcare doesn't make it a feasible option.

I feel the government need to start offering a childcare tax credit for people paying for childcare for young children (under 5). It should end when the child starts school.

The male in the family should still work.
    I know a load of men who have never worked a day. That should not be allowed.

I was explaining why some families only have one earner.

With respect, I feel your view is out of date, I know many women who are the main earners.

Nowadays, it's not terribly unusual for men to choose to take on the role of caring for their children in the home while their partner continues in paid employment.

25 years ago an Uncle of mine left his construction job to rear his four children (due to the cost of childcare) and to build his own house in the country. His wife was in a well paid profession so she continued to climb the career ladder and he returned to work as soon as the last child started school. It worked out very well for them but I remember there were men in the locality who used to give my Uncle awful stick.

Thankfully times have changed....

I know men who have never worked and it's nothing to do with childcare. They're just lazy freeloaders on the state who should be made do something to earn their dole.

I agree with that but we need to look at the barriers to entry.

There is definitely a cohort who didn't attend school or only attended occasionally - I'm sure as adults now, some of these people would like to work but some have serious literacy issues. I think the government were very wrong to cut funding/ discontinue many CE schemes as they gave many disadvantaged communities a way back to employment or into employment for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I know men who have never worked and it's nothing to do with childcare. They're just lazy freeloaders on the state who should be made do something to earn their dole.

It's a fair point, but I would disagree somewhat.

Quit a large percentage are not lazy freeloaders, they have put their energies into 'beating the system' and know all the nuances, trick of the trade, loopholes inside out.

They tend to 'Gunter ' around the sides of the envelope doing 'this & that' the bit here the bit there always under the radar and always trusting that they won't be shopped because they are 'great community people , manage the under 11s, and all that stuff.

Don't make the mistake that they are just lazy freeloaders I would advise.

The Indo carried a report this morning that Leo Varadkar turned down an opportunity to remain in his position as Minister for Health.

Leo Varadkar turned down an offer from Taoiseach Enda Kenny to remain in the Department of Health, the Irish Independent has learned.

Mr Kenny has told colleagues privately that he asked the leadership frontrunner to continue on as health minister but he refused.

This forced the Taoiseach to offer the job to Simon Harris, who was initially set to take charge of the Department of Social Protection.

If this is true, I feel serious questions need to be asked of Dr. Leo Varadkar, if he was unable to stick the heat as Minister for Health surely he is not going to be able for the challenges and commitments that the Taoiseach's office will present. This sort of explains why Varadkar's predecessor and successor in Health - James Reilly and Simon Harris have been critiical of him and why they are so firmly in the Coveney camp.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-turned-down-chance-to-remain-in-health-leaving-kenny-scrambling-35765114.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Minister for Health is the worst job in the country. You can do the square root of feck all to help a very dysfunctional system and get all the blame for the system not working in the first place.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Minister for Health is the worst job in the country. You can do the square root of feck all to help a very dysfunctional system and get all the blame for the system not working in the first place.

It's totally unworkable.

Vested interests who despite putting out that they are open to change will not budge.

Union ridden and run by union leaders who want to screw the taxpayer for every cent they can.

Black hole for taxpayers money with zero improvement.

That said, some fantastic work being done there.

Nobody seems to be able to get a handle on it.

Very well run programme tonight.

• Advertisement

This programme has ran its course. No balance at all and not just tonight.
    That's my last time tuning in to this rubbish.

I thought last night was very balanced, much better than when Vincent is on the job!

Gave up on it long ago Tayto, complete rubbish, just churned out Vinnies agenda.

Stacked deck, no balance, bit like bear baiting.

Nah!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Sarah McInerney doing a decent job.
    Making a fool of Michelle Mulherrin. Not difficult to do but she can't answer any of her questions.

Don't watch it much anymore but I'm glad I did last night, seeing Brid Snith and her pathetic arguments torn to pieces by that guy with the glasses was priceless.

Like all the hard left fools she gets an easy time of it when Vinnie is on, not so last night.

Don't watch it much anymore but I'm glad I did last night, seeing Brid Snith and her pathetic arguments torn to pieces by that guy with the glasses was priceless.

Like all the hard left fools she gets an easy time of it when Vinnie is on, not so last night.

Good, might watch it on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Good, might watch it on the player.

Is it still available on the Player?

They were on about this Muslim radical who spent time on Ireland last night, one guest was some nobody from the migrant rights council and all she was able to do was bladder on about how racist the Irish were.

Fair play to Sarah McInerney, she kept at her to answer what should be done about radicals living among us, "community policing" and "dialogue" was the eventual answer.

These leftie gobsh1tes have gotten an easy ride for too long with Vinney, that's the reason they all appear so regularly.

It's time for him to pack it in and let someone else take over or else the show is finished.

They were on about this Muslim radical who spent time on Ireland last night, one guest was some nobody from the migrant rights council and all she was able to do was bladder on about how racist the Irish were.

Fair play to Sarah McInerney, she kept at her to answer what should be done about radicals living among us, "community policing" and "dialogue" was the eventual answer.

These leftie gobsh1tes have gotten an easy ride for too long with Vinney, that's the reason they all appear so regularly.

It's time for him to pack it in and let someone else take over or else the show is finished.

Browne is like Odlum's Flour- never varies.

Every leftie gets a free ride, never nailed down ,just indulged.

Time to go, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Browne is like Odlum's Flour- never varies.

Every leftie gets a free ride, never nailed down ,just indulged.

Time to go, I'm afraid.

Quite wrong imo. I have seen those from the left get a good grilling from Browne.

What sinks TWVB is the fact that our governing parties are afraid of him and will not take part.
    Which says a lot tbh.

Quite wrong imo. I have seen those from the left get a good grilling from Browne.

What sinks TWVB is the fact that our governing parties are afraid of him and will not take part.
    Which says a lot tbh.

Not at all Francie, you see Vinnie has a bit of form from back in the day when himself and Sean Ardagh used to be on the radio at 2200 .

Lovely gentle bit of joshing would start it off... Nod nod ...... wink wink kind of stuff all good friends and harmless banter between Vinnie and Sean supposedly on opposing sides!!

Then some poor stiff from the governing party would be wheeled in and Vinnie and Seanie would form a tag team and rip the poor hoor to shreds.

Totally unfair,like two magpies they were, one attacking the front and the other nipping round the back.

No one with a lick of sense would take on a stacked deck that set up there.

Completely unfair, no balance, that's his problem.

Not at all Francie, you see Vinnie has a bit of form from back in the day when himself and Sean Ardagh used to be on the radio at 2200 .

Lovely gentle bit of joshing would start it off... Nod nod ...... wink wink kind of stuff all good friends and harmless banter between Vinnie and Sean supposedly on opposing sides!!

Then some poor stiff from the governing party would be wheeled in and Vinnie and Seanie would form a tag team and rip the poor hoor to shreds.

Totally unfair,like two magpies they were, one attacking the front and the other nipping round the back.

No one with a lick of sense would take on a stacked deck that set up there.

Completely unfair, no balance, that's his problem.

That would mean nobody from the governing parties would come on the show. But they do, and the simple fact is the more power they had the more they avoided the show.

A bit like the cowardly actions of Theresa May tbh.

That would mean nobody from the governing parties would come on the show. But they do, and the simple fact is the more power they had the more they avoided the show.

A bit like the cowardly actions of Theresa May tbh.

Common sense to me Francie, come on the show and be treated unfairly-nah.

I doubt you would go on any show where you knew the 'form' .Be there as a patsy with no chance, up against a stacked deck?

No one with a lick o sense would put themselves in that position.

Common sense to me Francie, come on the show and be treated unfairly-nah.

I doubt you would go on any show where you knew the 'form' .Be there as a patsy with no chance, up against a stacked deck?

No one with a lick o sense would put themselves in that position.

I think you are like Enda et al, being over sensitive. Richard Boyd Barrett will get as much a grilling as Leo Varadkar.

But the absence of what can only be described as cowards is what ruined the show.

I think you are like Enda et al, being over sensitive. Richard Boyd Barrett will get as much a grilling as Leo Varadkar.

But the absence of what can only be described as cowards is what ruined the show.

No way does he go after the hard left like he does the other parties, Wallace could be torn asunder if he wanted to, failed property developer and tax dodger who hasn't a notion of paying back what he owes but that is never touched.

• Advertisement

No way does he go after the hard left like he does the other parties, Wallace could be torn asunder if he wanted to, failed property developer and tax dodger who hasn't a notion of paying back what he owes but that is never touched.

I have heard him make that very jibe many times.

I have heard him make that very jibe many times.

You won't have any problem finding a clip for me so to prove your point.

You won't have any problem finding a clip for me so to prove your point.

I will if you can prove that he attacks every single government rep that comes on anymore than he attacks the opinions of those on the left.

I think you have just proved what the problem is, he just won't ask again and again the questions you want asked of the left. I feel the same way about him and politicians from government too, sometimes he doesn't ask them the questions I want asked.

I will if you can prove that he attacks every single government rep that comes on anymore than he attacks the opinions of those on the left.

I think you have just proved what the problem is, he just won't ask again and again the questions you want asked of the left. I feel the same way about him and politicians from government too, sometimes he doesn't ask them the questions I want asked.

It's with another poster you were debating that, nothing to do with me, my point was he gives the left an easy ride not about attacking FG.

Just admit it, you won't be able to find any proof, it's ok we won't think any less of you.

The looney left couldn't handle any hard questions anyway, pathetic losers the lot of them.

It's with another poster you were debating that, nothing to do with me, my point was he gives the left an easy ride not about attacking FG.

Just admit it, you won't be able to find any proof, it's ok we won't think any less of you.

The looney left couldn't handle any hard questions anyway, pathetic losers the lot of them.

I don't think there is anyone who would suggest that Browne treats the left like the Govt. reps.

You are quite correct in that observation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement