Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Serious clown from FG on tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Serious clown from FG on tonight.

He'd turn up at the opening of a bag of crisps. Serious career politician. Wetter than the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

1.618 wrote: »
    He'd turn up at the opening of a bag of crisps. Serious career politician. Wetter than the Atlantic.
    He's looking for Leo to give him a job, at the very least a Minister of State post. Going back a few years, Damien English used to go on the VB show regularly as a FG backbencher and duly got a MOS job, then Pascal O'Donoghue followed the same path as a backbencher and was rewarded with an even more elevated position, now Brophy thinks the sure fire way to promotion lies in appearing regularly on TWVB.

curioser wrote: »
    He's looking for Leo to give him a job, at the very least a Minister of State post. Going back a few years, Damien English used to go on the VB show regularly as a FG backbencher and duly got a MOS job, then Pascal O'Donoghue followed the same path as a backbencher and was rewarded with an even more elevated position, now Brophy thinks the sure fire way to promotion lies in appearing regularly on TWVB.

Not just Vin B. Was on Prime time last night and yes, was one of the 1st out of the traps to brown-nose Leo. As I say, pure career politician. A real go with flow sort of a bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

that's before you get to his hilariously bad hair-dye job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The looney left couldn't handle any hard questions anyway, pathetic losers the lot of them.

I think you just proved my point. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Vin finishing up this month, he will be missed...
    Fans of Vincent Browne's long-running political show have reacted with dismay to reports that he will soon sign off for the last time.

The journalist, who has presented TV3's late-night current affairs programme, Tonight With Vincent Browne, since 2007, will front his last show at the end of the month.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/at-his-best-hes-irreplaceable-viewers-shocked-by-reports-vincent-browne-will-sign-off-for-last-time-35888167.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm guessing it was his choice. He bought the rights to Magill magazine recently, with the intention of relaunching it in some form (initially one-off-specials and online content).

I dread to think what TV3 will replace him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

RayM wrote: »
    I'm guessing it was his choice. He bought the rights to Magill magazine recently, with the intention of relaunching it in some form (initially one-off-specials and online content).

I dread to think what TV3 will replace him with.

Bring back psychic play TV!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I've really enjoyed Vincent over years but of late I feel the show has become very tired.

I think Ivan Yates could do a good job and his ratings would be decent. Apart from his Sunday show on Newstalk he doesn't appear to have too much happening work wise. He has already worked with TV3 so he's familiar with things in Ballymount. I reckon he could be a contender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder will Enda Kenny make an appearance for the last show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I've really enjoyed Vincent over years but of late I feel the show has become very tired.

I think Ivan Yates could do a good job and his ratings would be decent. Apart from his Sunday show on Newstalk he doesn't appear to have too much happening work wise. He has already worked with TV3 so he's familiar with things in Ballymount. I reckon he could be a contender.

If Yates took over, what would the looney lefties do. Vinny indulged them to an unhealthy extent. Yates wouldn't be so indulgent.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If Yates took over, what would the looney lefties do. Vinny indulged them to an unhealthy extent. Yates wouldn't be so indulgent.

Can we not have one show that gives left-wing politics a fair crack of the whip? One show with a presenter who isn't afraid to disagree with a hard-right financial investor like Peter Brown, who tries to claim that people earning €80k are the "squeezed middle". It's not a lot to ask for.

Yates is a boorish, over-confident dullard. I'd like to see someone like Justine McCarthy take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nah. Sam Smyth is yer only man.

Well done Ray, I laughed at loud when I read your tweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Can we not have one show that gives left-wing politics a fair crack of the whip? One show with a presenter who isn't afraid to disagree with a hard-right financial investor like Peter Brown, who tries to claim that people earning €80k are the "squeezed middle". It's not a lot to ask for.

Even better when he was trying to justify it.

Initially he was saying that if you're paying excessive rent a huge chunk of your salary would be used up, which is fair enough. He then went on to say that if you were putting 2 children through private school it would result in pretty much most of your salary being used up! Like wtf?! What a sense of entitlement. You cut your cloth to suit your means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 weary_salesman

your post earlier RAY M must be intended to be ironic

the left ( and the far left which vinnie has on every night ) get a vastly disproportionate level of airtime in this country relative to their electoral strength

richard boyd barrett was a household name in the media before he even got elected to the local council , never mind as a TD in 2011 for the first time , between marxists academics like ciaran allen or various poverty industry hacks , the left is vastly overrepresented in the media

it would be refreshing if perhaps tv 3 done a 180 and gave the show to a libertarian who admonished the goverment nightly for spending too much of tax payers money , is marc coleman still working ? , there isnt a single small goverment advocate in the irish media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That Justine McCarthy is very hard to listen to, the annoying posh accent and her bleeding heart leftie ideas.

Of course The Irish Times readers love her no doubt, another crowd I despise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Mick Clifford on now.
    About Maurice McCabe.

Utterly shocking what was done to McCabe.
    I hope this rocks the corruption in the Gardai to the core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That Justine McCarthy is very hard to listen to, the annoying posh accent and her bleeding heart leftie ideas.

Of course The Irish Times readers love her no doubt, another crowd I despise.

Have to say you have a point, gives the impression rightly or wrongly that she is never ever wrong.

Gets ones back up.

Have to say you have a point, gives the impression rightly or wrongly that she is never ever wrong.

Gets ones back up.

Justine is one of those 'hurlers-on-the-ditch' who seem to know the answer to every problem. I would include Fintan O'Toole and Eamon Dunphy in the same category. But you will never see any of their names on a ballot paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

When Vincent retires we might get some proper debate instead of the stacked panels we have been getting for the last number of years. I'm fed up of the 4 v 1's and rarely watch now.

I like Justine McCarthy. She's an excellent journalist and seems to annoy the right kind of people.

• Advertisement

Justine is one of those 'hurlers-on-the-ditch' who seem to know the answer to every problem. I would include Fintan O'Toole and Eamon Dunphy in the same category. But you will never see any of their names on a ballot paper.

That is such a pointless point. Are the only people allowed an opinion those who stand for election.
    Her job is to write about and think about these issues.

It would make more sense for you to advocate banning journalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like Justine McCarthy. She's an excellent journalist and seems to annoy the right kind of people.

It's very easy to annoy people it's harder to get your good points across and make sense.

It's very easy to annoy people it's harder to get your good points across and make sense.

She does that very well too. I'm always relieved when I see her on the show because it means that there's at least one person who'll be talking sense and won't be shouting and interrupting people.

Spot on Roger, always 'know' the answer but hey,between you and me I think they have been found out.

Dunphy in particular has been frapping around supporting left wingers big time despite sucking deeply from the taxpayers teat.

For those of us who know, genuine people, people like Dunphy and his ilk O'Toole as well make their living criticising others who implement things.

If you want my respect, get off your hoop, put yourself up, succeed or fail,but do something which improves the system, step on a few toes, stop roaring and shouting from a 'safe' position where you rely on hindsight for everything.

Stand up and be counted,otherwise shut the fuhhrk up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Can't look at sideshow Bob

• Advertisement

Spot on Roger, always 'know' the answer but hey,between you and me I think they have been found out.

Dunphy in particular has been frapping around supporting left wingers big time despite sucking deeply from the taxpayers teat.

For those of us who know, genuine people, people like Dunphy and his ilk O'Toole as well make their living criticising others who implement things.

If you want my respect, get off your hoop, put yourself up, succeed or fail,but do something which improves the system, step on a few toes, stop roaring and shouting from a 'safe' position where you rely on hindsight for everything.

Stand up and be counted,otherwise shut the fuhhrk up.

Says the guy............. criticising people.
    The world is made up of more people than politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

don't have any problem with Justine
    -always seems reasonable

Boyd Barret gets my goat ,anti everything and money grows on trees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bing_crosby

justine is from cork but speaks pure D4

possibly the most pious - earnest woman in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

fine speech from Vinny there on TV3 about him leaving.

sinn fein politicians always seem to be skilled debaters

must be the military training wah!

Why was Vinny apologising for having an all-male panel. I don't remember him apologising when he had all-female panels!

Why was Vinny apologising for having an all-male panel. I don't remember him apologising when he had all-female panels!

It's the only show of its kind to have (very) occasional all-female panels.

I'll miss the fecker a bit. He has pros and cons but he had his own way on the show. More balls than other presenters of current affairs programmes, that's for sure.

I found him well capable of giving both left and right a hard time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is tonight the last night? Can't watch at the moment.

No. The 27th is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

RayM wrote:
    It's the only show of its kind to have (very) occasional all-female panels.

Recently he had Catherine Connolly, Catherine Noone and Catherine Ghent on. They mentioned Katherine Zapone. How about that!

sinn fein politicians always seem to be skilled debaters

must be the military training wah!

Easy to be 'skilled' when one takes part in nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Delighted he s leaving. Appears to be very biased in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Delighted he s leaving. Appears to be very biased in my opinion

Martin Collins or the AAA/Solidarity losers might be on as much if it's true he's leaving.

Easy to be 'skilled' when one takes part in nothing.

power sharing in the North?

they'd have no problem in coalition government here once their policies are curtailed to reflect balance of coalition

he had that lady from the SFA on a fair bit to balance the debate

never could take to her arguments mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Who can replace Vincent Brown ?

There is obviously only one Vincent Brown, that's for sure.

I don't think any of the 'stand in' presenters have the substance or style required to front this type of show.

Will they chose a previously untried presenter?

I could see Ivan Yates getting it but I don't like his style.

Not Joan's finest 10 minutes...cringe!

• Advertisement

That was some earful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement