Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v 4.0 (08/07/14 to date)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Why just they don't cut him loose?....Do you notice Pearse has gone into hiding lately?.....Hmmm...me smells a rat...as they say in Love/Hate.....

Sinn Fein TD's, senators and MEP's seem to have gone into Stepford mode recently. All singing from the same hymnsheet and not one single dissenter. Ní cheapaim......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Sinn Fein TD's, senators and MEP's seem to have gone into Stepford mode recently. All singing from the same hymnsheet and not one single dissenter. Ní cheapaim......

Ah, sure the knee capping is not the way forward Harry....;)

I do like the "Stepford" mode analogy though.....I like to think of myself as one of them at one stage...apron 'n all......not in the way you mention I should say....;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Miss-spelling there, it's 'kneecap 'em'

It's exactly like Noonan saying the charges were moderate - €188 for a call out charge?...that's a working wage for people - not that Noonan would know that...

It's a whole week's social welfare payment for an unemployed person, but it's half an hour worth of ministerial expenses for Noonan.

Snap Roger..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Why just they don't cut him loose?....Do you notice Pearse has gone into hiding lately?.....Hmmm...me smells a rat...as they say in Love/Hate.....
    Pearse O' Doherty? You really miss him, don't you, greyie?

It's a whole week's social welfare payment for an unemployed person, but it's half an hour worth of ministerial expenses for Noonan.

What makes me mad is Harry, he said it and didn't even realise why the likes of us would get annoyed....:mad:

coolhull wrote: »
    Pearse O' Doherty? You really miss him, don't you, greyie?

I always wanted to give Pearse a good clean shave and a proper shirt...it was MrsD who wanted him to say "Dail/Doll" over and over....;):D

God, I'm an awful grinch, Halloween is an awful pain in the posterior.... :(

God, I'm an awful grinch, Halloween is an awful pain in the posterior.... :(

It was good, back in the day, when we'd cut a few holes for arms and head in a black refuse sack and put on a hard unbreathable plastic mask that cost about 10p in the local shop, and you'd hope you got money or chocolate from the neighbours instead of nuts or apples.

Nowadays we're getting the repackaged Americanised Halloween, which is ironic, seeing as the Irish invented Halloween in the first place.

• Advertisement

It was good, back in the day, when we'd cut a few holes for arms and head in a black refuse sack and put on a hard unbreathable plastic mask that cost about 10p in the local shop, and you'd hope you got money or chocolate from the neighbours instead of nuts or apples.

Nowadays we're getting the repackaged Americanised Halloween, which is ironic, seeing as the Irish invented Halloween in the first place.

Haha Harry, you were very posh with your refuse sack....we got a sack cloth and an old penny for your troubles.....:p You kids.....:D:D:D...I'm sure we kicked cabbages at some stage too.....;):pac: and as for the luxury of monkey nuts???......:eek:...That was for the very "well-to-do" children!!!:o

Haha Harry, you were very posh with your refuse sack....we got a sack cloth and an old penny for your troubles.....:p You kids.....:D:D:D...I'm sure we kicked cabbages at some stage too.....;):pac: and as for the luxury of monkey nuts???......:eek:...That was for the very "well-to-do" children!!!:o
    You kids had it easy. We had to sew our own bags from turnip leaves, and had to catch our own monkey, and then do the castration ourselves :p

coolhull wrote: »
    You kids had it easy. We had to sew our own bags from turnip leaves, and had to catch our own monkey, and then do the castration ourselves :p

I bow before the Master.

I couldn't beat that one.

Tell me all about the castration on Saturday after our march.....:D:D:D

I'm all ears....:p

Actually - edit - I'm wearing a hat if you have the shears handy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Totally agree with you Lapin...well stated....anybody check who the directors are and how "appointed / selected / qualified"...one was a Jun Minister's driver (the minister involved with Ir water!!!!! It would now appear that existing perfectly functioning meters are going to be dug uop,dumped and replaced - it would appear so that they can be read wirelessly by driving along. Galway Co Co have already spent huge amount of money on the old ones over the past few years.....are the lunatics running the asylum and have Ir Water outdone the HSE in sheer waste and incompetence? Cute hoor Phil can laugh at his reward and promotion after his multiple acts of incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Lapin wrote: »
    While I wouldn’t say I’m delighted water charges are being brought in, I certainly don't have a problem of paying for a good water service piped directly to my house and waste water drained away to be treated properly.

I've paid for it in the past when I lived abroad and fully realise that its an essential service treating and supplying a resource that is getting more and more scarce and needs to be paid for.

However - I utterly detest the idea that a portion of my income is going to fund an organisation that, right from day one has become a byline for cack handed incompetence and shown a total shambolic inability to undertake the task they have been given. And I don't just mean the current government.

To begin with, Irish Water are headed up by a failed city manager whose money burning legacy my in own home town included leaving us with a bill that overran into millions for the Eyre Square redevelopment that was eventually completed over 18 months late. As a reward he was promoted to Dublin City manager where he pissed away a mere €100 million over the Poolbeg incinerator fuckup.

And now we're paying him €200K a year with bonuses (along with 28 others on over €100K with bonuses) to do what he does best. Cock things up. And so far he's doing a pretty good job at that even if we never get to see or hear him. The man wouldn't survive till lunchtime in the private sector.

As well as the balls up over they way they handled billing before a single bill was ever sent out, their demand for our PPS numbers, the confusion over allowances, the exorbitant call out charges for repairs, their appalling customer service (or lack of it), and staff who don't know what their job is, it is also the government's lack of intervention and feet shuffling that make my blood boil.

Its never too late to do the right thing. Irish Water should be wound up immediately, management and board removed without recompense, and start the whole bloody thing again from the beginning using people with a track record for doing things right. Even Basil Fawlty, Frank Spencer and our own Father Dougal would do a better job.

It makes me sick to the pits of my stomach to see a public utility for an essential service being treated like a box of goodies by our government and divided up among their cronies at our expense no matter how incompetent those cronies are at the job. I have absolutely zero confidence in Irish Water.

And that my friends, is why, for the first time since the old farts in the IRFU tried to obliterate Connacht from Irish Rugby, I am taking to the streets on Saturday to kick up a racket. :mad:

+100.

Listening to Pat Kenny shilling for IW today was stomach churning! :(
    He truly is in Denis O'Brien's pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Burkina Faso - a Pointless favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

This lad looks very like the actor Joe Taylor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

thirsty old weather

load of arrests on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Me : 'What the fu...'

I have a severe vision impairment

Me : 'Fair enough'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

This started off about water charges, this clown turns it into internet abuse. Bóllícks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My news feed was clogged up with comments about Martin Conway's last appearance on the VB Show, I didn't see any regarding his visual impairment but there was loads poking fun at his "water doesn't just fall from the sky" comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Low-life whoever passed remarks about his disability online.

He expects changes to the water scheme.

So these protests are working.

I thought Martin Cullen was bad, but my god Brendan Howlin is some smug git.

He expects changes to the water scheme.

So these protests are working.

another big wave of them on the way

So..... Our politicians just happen to think that we need investment in our water supply immediately after the Troika bullies insisted that water charges should be imposed upon us..... Do these fookers think we came down in the last shower?? (pardon the pun)

Sweet Jaysus comparing the water bóllíckóligy to the ESB is shíte, is this the best the criminals can put forward as spokesman for a quango. Are they hoping the people in gods waiting room will reach for their checkbooks because of his disability.

Disgusting smug bástárd waiting for his largess and pension.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the water meters end up being de-commissioned like the e-voting machines, and put into warehouses for a decade till they rust?

If this Kraut tries to justify the water charges, she should toddle off back to the Fatherland.

we need meters

Ve must punish ze people voho spend so much of our money.

I think there is touch of history about these protests on Saturday. We'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This clown does not understand that the farmers have realised that they will be charged for their domestic use on top of their farm usage. Hopefully they will wake up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

This post has been deleted.

It'll be the usual bunch of people who protest about anything and everything. There will be changes to the water charges and the middle and upper classes will end up paying for everyone, as usual.

Is this German woman being paid by the government?

Ursula, does Germany have a looney Universal Social Charge to appease their German overlords??
    This woman is making my blood boil. Thank God for Churchill. At least he delayed the Teutonic takeover of Europe for half a century at least.

Berserker wrote: »
    It'll be the usual bunch of people who protest about anything and everything. There will be changes to the water charges and the middle and upper classes will end up paying for everyone, as usual.

Most Irish people don't bother protesting about anything. So the people protesting are people that never protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Ah, Jimmy Kelly, wasn't he a shop steward in Waterford Crystal, eventually led the entire workforce to the dole queue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Ursula, does Germany have a looney Universal Social Charge to appease their German overlords??
    This woman is making my blood boil. Thank God for Churchill. At least he delayed the Teutonic takeover of Europe for half a century at least.

But Churchill's people still pay for their water?

curioser wrote: »
    Ah, Jimmy Kelly, wasn't he a shop steward in Waterford Crystal, eventually led the entire workforce to the dole queue?

That was his fault?

Is this German woman being paid by the government?

Angle Grinders daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

That was his fault?
    Was he blameless?

Was he blameless?

would have closed regardless

Was he blameless?

No idea, but a shop steward leading people to the dole queue seems unlikely.

Berserker wrote: »

Well here's your chance. If you consider yourself to be "middle class" or "upper class", get out and march on Saturday. Just make sure you distinguish your "class" on your placard, so that you don't have to associate yourself with the rest of us lumpen proletariat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

if I have to pay for water so be it..............I will not be without water under any circumstances

Any excuse to put Roy Keane on the front pages.

Ahh, Mary Louise, ya gobsh1te. Not that the other clown is any better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement