Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling 5S when iPhone 6 is released

• 08-07-2014 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the procedure is when selling your old phone and upgrading.

I usually just keep my iPhones until they break, but I got stuck on the 'S' upgrade this time and I'd rather be on the 4, 5 and 6 upgrade cycles.

So the iPhone 6 will be out in September, so when should I be expected to sell off my 5S? -before release so I get maximum return, or does that really matter? And how much should I expect -it's in perfect condition without a scratch as I made sure to look after it for a resale down the line.

I've heard of lads selling them for €600 every year. That'd be great because it'd only be a €100 upgrade in that case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Best bet is to order/buy one from the UK who get it before we do and sell then when you have it in your hand or place an advert for it as soon as you order the new one.

Not sure what price you would get for definite but for example a 16GB 5s should be making €450-500?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Best bet is to order/buy one from the UK who get it before we do and sell then when you have it in your hand or place an advert for it as soon as you order the new one.

Not sure what price you would get for definite but for example a 16GB 5s should be making €450-500?

That low? I've seen guys on here before say they sold them for €500, sometimes a bit more. Mine is unlocked and under warranty until November and I've a €40 case I'd throw in with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    That low? I've seen guys on here before say they sold them for €500, sometimes a bit more. Mine is unlocked and under warranty until November and I've a €40 case I'd throw in with it.

Maybe €550 then but that's the max I would think. Why don't you go on adverts/done deal and see what they're going for now and then knock another 10% off come September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Everyone else will be doing the same so the prices will plummet in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Maybe €550 then but that's the max I would think. Why don't you go on adverts/done deal and see what they're going for now and then knock another 10% off come September.

Christ, they're going for nothing on adverts now.

If I can't sell it for €550 I'll just keep it. Spent €700 on it last November and it's crazy to sell it for €450-€500. I'll see if anyone is in America around that time because my sister got hers for €530 at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frogurt!

I can't see anyone paying almost full price for a year old 5s with little warranty. Are you nuts!?! :) Especially with the release of the 6.

And yes, they do seem to be going for as little as 350 - 400 on adverts.

In the market for a 5s myself but won't be paying more than 450.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Frogurt! wrote: »
    I can't see anyone paying almost full price for a year old 5s with little warranty. Are you nuts!?! :) Especially with the release of the 6.

+1

I bought one recently brand new and boxed for under €450. If you want to sell you'll be looking at around the €400 mark. The price you get depends on your location too - if you're somewhere inaccessible you won't get as many offers and will need to incentivise people to travel but a the end of the day a year old phone isn't worth €150 less than new. If it was a 32 or 64gb model you'd have a better chance though of getting a good price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As regards selling and buying, you're probably better off in the S-loop. When the S phones are released the previous model at least looks the same as the new one.

I'm upgrading ever 24 months and have done for the iP4, the iP5 and this year the iP6. I sold my 4 for circa €260 in 2012 and expect about the same for my 5 in Sept/Oct. I also wait until I have the other phone to buy.

Come the autumn, I'd say you'll be looking at 450 tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The other options are sell now and use a dumbphone to tide you over, or agree a deal with a family member well in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Frogurt! wrote: »

They'll go for even less when the masses figure out that there's a big bump coming in the screen size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »
    As regards selling and buying, you're probably better off in the S-loop. When the S phones are released the previous model at least looks the same as the new one.

You've got that backwards surely? If you're buying a second hand phone wouldn't you want the device that looks like the new one.

You've got that backwards surely? If you're buying a second hand phone wouldn't you want the device that looks like the new one.
    Indeed, And if you upgrade every 2 years to the "S" model you are selling the non-S versions that looks like it to fund it, no? I think we agree we just don't know it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

Im trying to sell one on Adverts at the minute... No luck at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Im trying to sell one on Adverts at the minute... No luck at all.

Ditto

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dades wrote: »
    Indeed, And if you upgrade every 2 years to the "S" model you are selling the non-S versions that looks like it to fund it, no? I think we agree we just don't know it. :)

I think you've got yourself a bit of a paradox there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

+1

I bought one recently brand new and boxed for under €450.

Anyone know where to get one for around this price new and sealed? Couldnt find any on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anyone know where to get one for around this price new and sealed? Couldnt find any on adverts.

They pop up every so often. You just need to be quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bought my 5S only 6 weeks ago as I needed one urgently.
    Will be selling it again when ip6 launches so wondering how much I'll get.
    Space grey 32gb model with screen protector and case. It's a PAYG from Three with €40 credit on the sim. I'm considering adding another €90 to it so 3 will unlock it for me or am I better off selling it as it and let the buyer get their own credit so they can unlock it?

I'd say there's €90 extra to be got from an unlocked iPhone over one locked to 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Blazer wrote: »
    Space grey 32gb model with screen protector and case. It's a PAYG from Three with €40 credit on the sim. I'm considering adding another €90 to it so 3 will unlock it for me or am I better off selling it as it and let the buyer get their own credit so they can unlock it?

Well I definitely wouldn't buy a locked phone unless it was seriously cheaper, even then I probably wouldn't tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Is it cheaper buy a new iPhone from an Apple store in New York than say a reseller like Best Buy or one of those stores? Broke my 4 at the weekend and wanna get a 5s as cheap as possible :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Blazer wrote: »

Get it unlocked as any future buyers cannot get it unlocked as it can only be done by the original purchaser.

Advertisement