Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G-845 / I-551

Options
  • 08-07-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

I emailed the u.s army about joining up just as i am curious.

They told me in order to join I would need to fill out one of these forms as an non u.s citizen.

What is the difference in the forms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Haven't you asked about this before?
    You cannot join the US military unless you are a greencard holder. The documents they mention prove that, they are ways to verify you are a greencard holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    Haven't you asked about this before?
    You cannot join the US military unless you are a greencard holder. The documents they mention prove that, they are ways to verify you are a greencard holder.

I don't think I have. They said if I filled out the forms I could join if they went through

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes but you cannot give them what the documents ask. The documents require you to attach proof you are a greencard holder, you are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

So I asked someone at work that is married to a recruiter and lieutenant for the navy

You have to be at least a permanent resident in the country to apply for anything that requires arms (including police officers). The exact response from him was this

"The US Military is a standing army and defense force, not a mercenary group - it's members have a vested interest in the safety and security of the country and it's foreign interests. Permanent residence is a minimum requirement, as it shows loyalty to the country through many years of trying to attain residency and a step to citizenship. It cannot be used as a "way in" to the country, it would cheapen everything the military stands for"

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

The reason that you were told about those forms, is that the military would assume that you already had your permanent residency status..or else why else would you want to fight for a foreign power

So I asked someone at work that is married to a recruiter and lieutenant for the navy

You have to be at least a permanent resident in the country to apply for anything that requires arms (including police officers). The exact response from him was this

"The US Military is a standing army and defense force, not a mercenary group - it's members have a vested interest in the safety and security of the country and it's foreign interests. Permanent residence is a minimum requirement, as it shows loyalty to the country through many years of trying to attain residency and a step to citizenship. It cannot be used as a "way in" to the country, it would cheapen everything the military stands for"

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

The reason that you were told about those forms, is that the military would assume that you already had your permanent residency status..or else why else would you want to fight for a foreign power

I told them I didn't live in the states and wasn't an American

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

but you didn't tell them you didn't have status - you can live outside the US, not be american but still have the correct status (ie..green card)

I did tell them all that.

I was just been curious

Advertisement