Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu or Motherboard faulty :(

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently had a situation where either my motherboard or cpu was defective.

I'd gone through all the usual tests - removing all items except cpu, vid card and Ram.

( The question is academic now , the problem is solved. )

So basically it had to be the cpu or Mobo.

Now if I ran it without RAM, it beeped three times (long beeps).

Never mind what mobo it was or what ram or vid card was installed.

My question is this:

If booting without RAM installed , generates beeps, does that mean the cpu is OK ?

Since the beeps are the result of some diagnostic process, does it indicate that some code is running, and does this indicate that the cpu is alive and well and running some code ?

OR

Does a mobo chipset have integrated functions that will run a self-test before it even requires a cpu or RAM to run a process ?

And if it does, does that process rely on a processor of some kind ?

And is that processor in the chipset on which a mobo is based ( since it can't be the main cpu) ?

And if there is a processor, what is it ?

I've been researching/puzzling this for a while and INTELs site does not help.

I guess the question is : Is POST (or the earlier parts of it) independant of the CPU. And how is it ?

A.

Advertisement