Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Days to kill in Dublin

Options
  • 09-07-2014 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions on how to entertain two boys under 10 in our great capital city on a budget for a few days?
    Staying in Citywest and have a car,but would love to park it up.

All suggestions welcome,thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is the Zoo too much of a stretch budget wise? If it's just you + 2 kids, it's 40 quid, another adult would be 46.

Viking Splash works out about the same price.

Dublinia works out less than 30 for 2+2

There's the Wax Museum that's 32 for 2+2

Now, none of them are cheap granted, but bringing kids to things isn't cheap really.

Malahide Castle has a pretty good playground that's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Some of the museum's are free and if you Google free museums Dublin they have some for the younger ones at the moment to keep there interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

If you are staying over the weekend and the weather turns out to be good, try Dun Laoghaire. There is normally a food market in the park, an open air music band playing and generally good atmosphere. Carpark is not expensive, and sunday is free if you are lucky to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I know you wanted to park the car but...Corkaigh park 5mins drive from Citywest has a small petting farm and a large playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The dead zoo never fails to entertain. For free.
    http://www.museum.ie/en/intro/natural-history.aspx

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Marlay park is excellent - a huge playground, loads of green areas, tennis courts, golf, bmx track. Bring a picnic and a football and they'll be sorted. You'd have to drive but there's loads of parking.

Just watch your dates as some concerts are still taking place there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The City Spectacular (formerly Street Performance World Championship) is on this weekend if that is when you are going to be here. Lots of street performers (magicians, contortionists, dancers, sword swallowers), face painting, games, music, etc. Most of it is free too.

There is also a list of city playgrounds in another thread here. Corkagh Park as mentioned is supposed to be great fun.

Natural History Museum (Dead Zoo)

National History Museum (the bog bodies will be fascinating for them I'm sure :D)

St Michans Church for the mummies in the crypt

The Ark does shows for kids

If the weather is bad, there is always the cinema too, the Luas from City west will take you right by either Cineworld (Jervis Street stop) onr Odeon at the Point Village.

National Leprechaun Museum! I haven't been but it might be fun with kids - it is also right beside the Jervis Street stop on the Luas.

That's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Science Gallery often have good exhibitions, some of which are good for kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 leesherwin

the zoo is worth the money you could spend a day there. Viking splash i think is a wee bit over priced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Prepare a picnic, walk along Dollymount Strand to work up an appetite, hit St. Anne's park to do zipline things and climb trees and run around, have picnic, sleep in car on way home - not you, the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

McDonalds...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The visitor centre in the park, great playground for kids of all ages.
    there are also the deer to be seen...all free.

Advertisement