Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera dilemma

• 09-07-2014 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice please,

I am a hobby photographer and I shoot mainly everything and I have been using Canon 300d, 30d, 40d, 550d, 7d since 1999.

Last year I sold my Canon gear and since then I was using the Sony RX100 mk2 mainly as a stop gapbuntilni purchase another DSLR. The RX 100mk2 image quality really impressed me but the camera itself is so small that the controls are a bit fiddly and I recently sold that.

I'm now in the market for a camera and I was in a Dublin camera store yesterday and I looked at the Sony A6000 and the Canon 70d.

I really like the feel of both cameras and the most appealing thing about the Sony is it is a nice small size for travel which I like to do often on Ryanair flights so luggage is kept to minimum. The Canon was nice and light and comfortable to hold, I like Canon too because I am very familiar with all their lens range.

I might just get theSpny for now and buy a Canon DSLR later in the year if I feel it's required as perhaps the Sony will suit all my needs, I'm fussy about image quality and the Sony camera impressed me yesterday, but on the downside of Sony I would then be getting into buying a whole new Sony Lens system and that's all a bit unfamiliar to me as it was always Canon to me in the past. Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

I'd stick with the Canon, especially since you are familiar with them.
    For travelling, you could just bring the camera and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, which is small, cheap and light, and provides great results for a 100 euro lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

IHPhoto wrote: »
    I'd stick with the Canon, especially since you are familiar with them.
    For travelling, you could just bring the camera and a 50mm 1.8 prime lens, which is small, cheap and light, and provides great results for a 100 euro lens.

Thanks very much I agree :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I would definitely think more long term - unless you are both time rich and rolling in it ;)

Going with the Sony short-term and then moving onto Canon would mean investing in a kit now and then having to sell it all on again and start from scratch. Sounds like a pain in the a$$ to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

Fyi
    I hear there is great discounts on the 7D at the moment.

Leading to the suggestion the mark I may come out soon.
    Ger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Also Ryanair have changed their hand luggage rules recently so as well as the small suitcase you were always allowed you can now take another small bag - I took a small camera bag with body, two lens, batteries, charger and cards and it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Have you looked at the Fuji X-T1 ? Looks the business for both size and image quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Have you looked at the Fuji X-T1 ? Looks the business for both size and image quality.

Yes I was very tempted by that and fuji have a fantastic offer at the moment with a free telephoto lens offer.

News update I purchased the new Sony RX100 m3. Quality is amazing I'm delighted.

I'll be also purchasing a good old Canon DSLR late in the year mainly for wildlife photography.

Advertisement