Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Drogheda-Dublin Driving

Options
  • 09-07-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

We are a young family thinking of buying a house in Drogheda.Currently living in a cramped apartment. We will both be driving as neither of us work on a train line at the moment. We will never afford a house we want in Dublin. Ive heard traffic in Drogheda is apalling so how long does it cost to get from north side of the river. We are travelling to Belfield and Park West.

Thanks

Comments

starsolas wrote: »
    Hi,

We are a young family thinking of buying a house in Drogheda.Currently living in a cramped apartment. We will both be driving as neither of us work on a train line at the moment. We will never afford a house we want in Dublin. Ive heard traffic in Drogheda is apalling so how long does it cost to get from north side of the river. We are travelling to Belfield and Park West.

Thanks

If you leaving at peak hour it takes a good while to get across the boyne in morning and evening peak hours. Why not buy on the southside lots of lovely areas to live and easy for getting in and out of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 starsolas

Oops I meant to say he will be leaving for at 6:45 or 7 am for work at 8 am will there really be bad traffic crossing Boyne then?
    He may hit bad traffic coming home leaving work onto M50 to get on M1 at 5.30pm.My hours are flexible.

We have a max budget of 170k ive not seen anything that ticks my boxes on southside so far.

3 bed semi mature quiet estate garden not over looked...

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Oops I meant to say he will be leaving for at 6:45 or 7 am for work at 8 am will there really be bad traffic crossing Boyne then?
    He may hit bad traffic coming home leaving work onto M50 to get on M1 at 5.30pm.My hours are flexible.

We have a max budget of 170k ive not seen anything that ticks my boxes on southside so far.

Likewise, I'd recommend buying southside to avoid hassle of getting through the town. You can also avoid M1 toll by going through Julianstown.

170 would get you a nice 3 bed semi southside e.g.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/36-ard-ri-beamore-road-drogheda-louth/709298/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If he left at 6.30am it'd take no time to get from northside to the dublin road, I do it myself every morning. Sometimes the lights go against you (there's a fair few sets) but no more than 7 or eight mins from ballymackenny road up to the train station.

Should be ok at that time of the evening just crossing back in the evenings can take a bit of time.

Some nice places on the southside now. Some of the new houses in Deepforde are around that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's a far easier commute than it used to be. I drove to Dublin City Centre during the years that they were building the port tunnel and it was an absolute nightmare. With the improved M1 and the barrier free tolling on the M50 it would be far easier than when I did it.

I would agree that basing yourself on the southside would be a better option. There are a LOT of traffic lights in Drogheda town and frustrating tailbacks and light sequences to get through before you even hit the hard commute. There's also the option of Mornington/Bettystown/Laytown to consider - plenty of amenities and everything else is only a short drive away in Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

There's about 15 traffic lights between the cross lanes on drogheda's north side to Southgate on the south side.

Not worth the hassle if you're looking to avoid the m1, so either buy in one of the villages near j10 on the m1 or beyond the Southgate shopping centre. Also note that Julianstown can be a bottleneck in the mornings.

Tullyallen is a nice place and you'd be straight onto the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I used to commute from Grange Rath in Drogheda to Ballymount and then later to Dun Laoghaire. It took me on average 40 minutes to Ballymount Industial estate and 55mins to an hour to Dun Laoghaire (Pottery Road). the last time I commuted was a year ago, very occasionally hit traffic on the M50 around Blanchardstown and Finglas exits. I normally letf between 6.45 and 7.00am.

I would say stick to the Southside of the town, you also have easier access to the train station.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement