Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Israel bombs 160 sites in Gaza overnight. Mod Warnings in First Post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

seanaway wrote: »
    No. You are reading into the article what you want. His pooint is that if Israel did bomb they wouldn't be the first to have done it.

His point is they are NOT doing it but providing warnings in multiple ways to civilians to avoid casualties. Of course, Hamas sympathisers like yourself will only ever have a narrow hate filled view and will even find a 'reason' for the following:

The report added that IDF soldiers being treated in Israeli hospitals for injuries sustained when fighting in Gaza said they encountered 13- and 14-year-old Palestinian children running at them wearing explosives-laden suicide-bomber belts.

Hamas must have great love for the children in their midst to send them out like this. Brave booys aren't they? Cowardly scum of the earth every one of them.

I am in no way a Hamas sympathiser. I am however a sympathiser of the 100's of innocent civilians been massacred in Gaza, full families getting wiped out, 4 young children slaughtered on the beach, an injured civilian trying to help people in the rubble only for him to be shot to death like a dog by the oh so brave snipers of the IDF.

You say Hamas uses civilians as human shields, well what about those 4 boys playing on the beach who were slaughtered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No. You are reading into the article what you want. His pooint is that if Israel did bomb they wouldn't be the first to have done it.

Except for all the times, that Israel has attacked first.....
    His point is they are NOT doing it but providing warnings in multiple ways to civilians to avoid casualties. Of course, Hamas sympathisers like yourself will only ever have a narrow hate filled view and will even find a 'reason' for the following:

Calling people Hamas sympathizers is really just pathetic, and secondly in regards to the so called warnings. You do realize that any attack on civilians warning or no is a war crime. To add to that, the people of Gaza have no where to go. Finally, the IDF has no issue shooting up cafes showing the world cup or children playing some footie on the beach.
    The report added that IDF soldiers being treated in Israeli hospitals for injuries sustained when fighting in Gaza said they encountered 13- and 14-year-old Palestinian children running at them wearing explosives-laden suicide-bomber belts.

As I said before, the IDF are known liars, get back to me when you have a independent 3rd party source, that hasn't murdered children playing football on a beach.
    Hamas must have great love for the children in their midst to send them out like this. Brave booys aren't they? Cowardly scum of the earth every one of them.

If true (big if there without a independent 3rd party source to verify the claims), there just as bad as the IDF, who murder children on beaches.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I have a friend who lives in Gaza, he is Muslim but I am not (not that it matters) He volunteers for freedom aid in Gaza. They have no money or income so I try and send some money over when I can to buy food for his family.
    They are peaceful and very nice people. I ring every day to get updates but I have to say its a bit depressing hearing the stories about the people being slaughtered and the fear in his voice as the bombs explode behind him while on the phone.
    He told me they have nowhere to go and are just waiting to die. Yesterday they decided to go to a UN school as it might have some protection, they did but tonight they returned home to shower and get some food. Just an hour ago Israel bombed his street with white phosphor now he his father and grandfather are choking from the chemical. He posted some gruesome photo on Facebook of his friends and neighbors dismembered bodies. Kids with their arms, stomach, legs all in pieces blown to bits. I can’t repost them because my Facebook friends would be too shocked and sickened.
    I can’t pray for them him and his family because I don’t pray. With all the debate about who is to blame these poor people are suffering for the crime of being born in Gaza.

I have a friend who lives in Gaza, he is Muslim but I am not (not that it matters) He volunteers for freedom aid in Gaza. They have no money or income so I try and send some money over when I can to buy food for his family.
    They are peaceful and very nice people. I ring every day to get updates but I have to say its a bit depressing hearing the stories about the people being slaughtered and the fear in his voice as the bombs explode behind him while on the phone.
    He told me they have nowhere to go and are just waiting to die. Yesterday they decided to go to a UN school as it might have some protection, they did but tonight they returned home to shower and get some food. Just an hour ago Israel bombed his street with white phosphor now he his father and grandfather are choking from the chemical. He posted some gruesome photo on Facebook of his friends and neighbors dismembered bodies. Kids with their arms, stomach, legs all in pieces blown to bits. I can’t repost them because my Facebook friends would be too shocked and sickened.
    I can’t pray for them him and his family because I don’t pray. With all the debate about who is to blame these poor people are suffering for the crime of being born in Gaza.

Heart breaking stuff.

Can I ask you a question if you don't mind, how do you send money over to your friend, I thought Western Union don't allow money transfer into Gaza.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Heart breaking stuff.

Can I ask you a question if you don't mind, how do you send money over to your friend, I thought Western Union don't allow money transfer into Gaza.

I use Western Union. €100 cost €106.20 and gets there within minutes.

I use Western Union. €100 cost €106.20 and gets there within minutes.

Cheers. I would say that 100 euro would go a long way for them, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

wes wrote: »
    As I said before, the IDF are known liars, get back to me when you have a independent 3rd party source, that hasn't murdered children playing football on a beach.

Way to go with the sweeping generalisations there. All IDF soldiers are liars, right yeah. I'd believe the guys wounded in combat before I'd believe you that's for sure.

There have also been reports of Hamas putting explosive belts on animals and sending them towards IDF forces and there was film of Hamas terrorists wearing IDF uniforms and infiltrating Israel via a tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Way to go with the sweeping generalisations there. All IDF soldiers are liars, right yeah. I'd believe the guys wounded in combat before I'd believe you that's for sure.

I was clearly referring to the organization, who are known liars, and not every individual who is a member.
    As for believing me, I could care less. The IDF have been caught out being less than truthful numerous times in the past, and many of the current claims during the current campaign have been exposed as being untrue.
    There have also been reports of Hamas putting explosive belts on animals and sending them towards IDF forces and there was film of Hamas terrorists wearing IDF uniforms and infiltrating Israel via a tunnel.

Yes, all of those have been confirmed, hence why I didn't dispute that. I, however have yet to see wide reporting to the claims that I was addressing, which I would expect if it was true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

an injured civilian trying to help people in the rubble only for him to be shot to death like a dog by the oh so brave snipers of the IDF.

Well if you believe propaganda so easily I can understand your anger! That video didn't strike you as odd? Not weird how they all spoke English? Or no blood after being shot three times? Do you honestly believe Hamas are beyond propaganda? Or do you have a default of Hamas =good Israel = bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There will always be propaganda in every conflict, from all sides. Its par for the course.

Saw a clip the other day of a mother crying over a supposedly dead body wrapped in cloth, but you could see the eyes opening and looking around for a second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

gallag wrote: »
    Well if you believe propaganda so easily I can understand your anger! That video didn't strike you as odd? Not weird how they all spoke English? Or no blood after being shot three times? Do you honestly believe Hamas are beyond propaganda? Or do you have a default of Hamas =good Israel = bad?

That video now appears to be verified horrific stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

walshb wrote: »
    The money and arms is to help Israel defend against all of its neighbors.

BS in my opinion. The money and arms - as well as the snivelling attitude of American politicians towards Israel - is to placate an unduly powerful political lobby group, the support of which seems to be a fundamental requirement for political success.
    Some democracy.

gallag wrote: »

As you see below it was real, I know propaganda when I see it and that shooting certainly wasn't. Hamas aren't good only a fool would say otherwise, I want to see a peace from both sides and a 2 state solution where Palestinian land is given back to them, where they have equal rights as there Israeli counterparts. No justice, no peace, its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭steveblack

Hamas tax the smugglers who use the tunnels, israeli politicians buy weapons, get kickbacks and jobs with the manufacturers. Too much money being made on both sides by the powers that be for this to ever end.
    Seen photos of a devastated israeli family burying their dead soldier son, heartbreaking scenes. The exact same funerals are happening in Gaza, politicians on both sides dont care , money to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

As you see below it was real, I know propaganda when I see it and that shooting certainly wasn't. Hamas aren't good only a fool would say otherwise, I want to see a peace from both sides and a 2 state solution where Palestinian land is given back to them, where they have equal rights as there Israeli counterparts. No justice, no peace, its that simple.

Eh???

Where is the proof of an Israeli sniper???

This is speculation and nothing more than that.

We are talking about HAMAS. This is a group taht sends children of 13/14 out as suicide bombers. A group that sends 16 year olds out in tunnels to snipe at civilians.

Has anyone considered the possibilty it was a Hamas sniper???

Doubt anyone has.

That said, if it was an Israeli sniper - court and life sentence if found guilty of murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That said, if it was an Israeli sniper - court and life sentence if found guilty of murder.

What gives you that idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What do you expect them to do?
    Would you like them to bend over altogether?
    Of course they are going to fight back and use any tactic they can against the a much larger and well armed force. They are defending their people after all.

Eh???

Where is the proof of an Israeli sniper???

You would of thought by now that the IDF would of came out publicly and denied involvement. Anyway's this is the IDF we are talking about, there every bit as bad if not worse than Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

What do you expect them to do?
    Would you like them to bend over altogether?
    Of course they are going to fight back and use any tactic they can against the a much larger and well armed force. They are defending their people after all.

The aren't defending a people, they're fighting for their own ideological reasons. Rather than defending the people of Gaza they are putting them in harms way but firing rockets and mortars from populated areas and then exploiting the civilians as human shields while they are alive and then exploiting them to gullible westerners if they are killed. It's typical of the twisted views of some on here that Hamas's tactics are somehow seen as legitimate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The aren't defending a people, they're fighting for their own ideological reasons. Rather than defending the people of Gaza they are putting them in harms way but firing rockets and mortars from populated areas and then exploiting the civilians as human shields while they are alive and then exploiting them to gullible westerners if they are killed. It's typical of the twisted views of some on here that Hamas's tactics are somehow seen as legitimate.

...or that's what's happening, according to Israel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

Interesting to see that the UN consider this concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

If Israel were any other country, NATO would have been in Gaza restoring democracy ten years ago. No matter what Hamas do, nothing can justify the carnage constantly inflicted on the civilians in Gaza by the Israeli army.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's just plain Israeli propaganda designed to allow the Israelis murder women and children as you well know. There are 1.6 million people in a small area and the Israelis just don't care who they kill. The 4 boys playing football on the beach were not human shields nor were the family of 8 (inc 4 children) trying to get some fresh air on the roof of their own home who were killed by a drone.
    Pure shameful propaganda BUT you swallowed it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What an attempt to de-legitimise Hamas. They aren't fighting for the same 'moral' reason as Israel, they're just doing it for 'ideological reasons' (what are these ideological reasons by the way?). Right.

I think Hamas's actions in firing rockets and building tunnels to Israel is wrong. But Hamas is the democratically elected government of Gaza, and it is arguing for a lifting of the blockade as a condition for the ceasefire - something which many people in Gaza would support. Israel would love people to believe that Hamas has no support from Gazans. Israelis might want to reflect a bit more on the impact Israeli military aggression has on increasing popular support for Hamas.

I don't know what the evidence is for Hamas using civilians as human shields - I've heard of rockets being fired from civilian buildings, which is terrible.

But Israel is currently bombing the homes of suspected Hamas militants. In one case, it killed 26 members of one family, including 11 children, to kill one militant. Is an Israeli soldier sleeping in his family house also using his family as human shields?

As others have pointed out, Gaza is tiny. Almost 2 million people are crammed into a space half the size of County Louth, Ireland's smallest country. And because of the Israeli blockade and the illegal coup of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, the people of Gaza are trapped. As UN OCHA spokesperson has said, "There is literally no safe place for civilians in Gaza"

It is not possible to carry out the type of operation Israel is pushing in such a densely populated place without killing large numbers of civilians. Therefore, Israel has entered into this campaign in full knowledge that high civilian casualties are almost guaranteed. Moreover, Israel has admitted using flechette shells which injure indiscriminately.

To make a conscious decision to use military tactics that will inevitably result in the injury and death of large numbers of civilians, and then blame the outcome on Hamas is repulsive. It is effectively collective punishment, which is illegal under the Geneva Convention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I love the term "gullible westerners", as if you're some sort of genius with a cutting analysis of the whole thing. The only "gullibility" I see on this thread is people parroting a narrative that a nuclear power shelling a people they blockade, occupy and colonise as "defending themselves".

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    I love the term "gullible westerners", as if you're some sort of genius with a cutting analysis of the whole thing. The only "gullibility" I see on this thread is people parroting a narrative that a nuclear power shelling a people they blockade, occupy and colonise as "defending themselves".

Its disgusting, there is nobody in there right mind unless they have an agenda that can defend the Israeli state. My heart goes out to the Palestinians.

The UN School my friend was staying in was bombed today by Israel. He went home and the military ordered 20 of them to walk down the street. 5 of them where shot dead. This is just crazy.

My cousin is married to a man from Israel so I know people on both sides. This is just murder in my view. These are just village people nothing else. The emergency services are targets too, they can't help the injured or they could be shot trying.

I am sure some politicians or people with power read boards as this is a politics forum

You have to ask yourself if you have the power to make your voice heard to save innocent people on both sides.
    Why are you in your job if you stay silent?

Just found this on the net

The UN School my friend was staying in was bombed today by Israel. He went home and the military ordered 20 of them to walk down the street. 5 of them where shot dead. This is just crazy.

My cousin is married to a man from Israel so I know people on both sides. This is just murder in my view. These are just village people nothing else. The emergency services are targets too, they can't help the injured or they could be shot trying.

I am sure some politicians or people with power read boards as this is a politics forum

You have to ask yourself if you have the power to make your voice heard to save innocent people on both sides.
    Why are you in your job if you stay silent?

Just found this on the net

You start to lose faith in mankind when you hear storys like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

You start to lose faith in mankind when you hear storys like this.

The thing that hurts me even more is that there are people trying to justify the IDF doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Interesting 'by the numbers' pic from Haaretz

original link

316204.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Why don't the other Arab nations help the people of Palestine. They all say they oppose Israel but why don't they put their Military muscle where their mouth is.

Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Jordon and Egypt are all just standing by while their brother Palestine gets destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Why don't the other Arab nations help the people of Palestine. They all say they oppose Israel but why don't they put their Military muscle where their mouth is.

Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Jordon and Egypt are all just standing by while their brother Palestine gets destroyed

The Arab neighbours are not the biggest fans of the Palestinians either..... And some are pretty OK with Israel, neither friendly nor hostile.

The neighbouring countries got whooped by Israel multiple times..... Israel if anything are stronger militarily now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What's in it for Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Jordan and Egypt? (And Syria has problems of its own right now, not to mention the minor geographic problem with Iran)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Jordon and Egypt are all just standing by

Various different reasons, most of which would cause a big debate, but in the case of iran they are alledgedly the suppliers of the rocket mskig materials to hamas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Neighboring countries surely know that if they attack Israel to help the Palestinians then they will be hit very hard. Harder than what Palestine were/are being hit.

walshb wrote: »
    Neighboring countries surely know that if they attack Israel to help the Palestinians then they will be hit very hard. Harder than what Palestine were/are being hit.

That is in fact one of the reasons I semi-support Iran's nuclear ambitions. Perhaps once MAD is established and Israel is no longer the only kid on the block with the biggest guns, they won't be able to use the threat of violence as easily to screw with everyone around them.

That is in fact one of the reasons I semi-support Iran's nuclear ambitions. Perhaps once MAD is established and Israel is no longer the only kid on the block with the biggest guns, they won't be able to use the threat of violence as easily to screw with everyone around them.

What could be safer than a nuke in the hands of an aging religious fanatic & dictator.

What could be safer than a nuke in the hands of an aging religious fanatic & dictator.

As safe as been in the hands of Zionist nutjobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'd take my chances with Israel having the nuke. Being so aligned to the U.S. it bodes a little better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

If Israel is worried about tunnels,why doesnt it dig a 200ft deep trench all along that border,and get its conscripts to patrol it? Sorted.
    They have the money and the equipment.

Otherwise,they are increasingly going to become more and more a pariah state as its impossible to target hamass militarily as we have seen without hypocritical genocide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

So long as it has Uncle Sam onside, Israel will do as it likes. The US can continue to pretend that it is a humanitarian nation and continue to look the other way whilst innocent children, women and men are murdered. Disgusting.

whitebriar wrote: »
    If Israel is worried about tunnels,why doesnt it dig a 200ft deep trench all along that border,and get its conscripts to patrol it? Sorted.

Terrific idea....

As well as negating the merit of building these tunnels it would encourage Hamas to use those millions of tonnes of concrete & steel to build better accommodation above ground for the Gazan people.

It would be win-win

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    So long as it has Uncle Sam onside, Israel will do as if likes. The US can continue to pretend that it is a humanitarian nation and continue to look the other way whilst innocent children, women and men are murdered. Disgusting.
    I do think Israel is pushing ahead with this madness now while they can as they know their number will soon be up in terms of U.S support for their more extreme actions.
    John Kerry's slip of the tongue on U.S tv last week was calculated.
    As is likely,the Democratic party in the U.S will bed down support more and more there increasingly with more confidence to control/inhibit Israel's rampancy.If they elect Hilary as President, Israel may and hopefully will go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I suppose it worked in the Cold War, both sides eventually seen the futility of it. I just don't have the same confidence that both sides would use it as deterrents in this scenario. I base that on the Cold War largely being a battle of ideologies that mostly was controlled by politicians, Cuba being the obvious exception. For me there are additional forces at play here, the risk is higher imo.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

whitebriar wrote: »
    I do think Israel is pushing ahead with this madness now while they can as they know their number will soon be up in terms of U.S support for their more extreme actions.
    John Kerry's slip of the tongue on U.S tv last week was calculated.
    As is likely,the Democratic party in the U.S will bed down support more and more there increasingly with more confidence to control/inhibit Israel's rampancy.If they elect Hilary as President, Israel may and hopefully will go back to the drawing board.

It is quite possible that the voters in the US will elect a Republican, exactly what Israel would want. If anything, it's possible that it would escalate it's activity. If it's doing what it's doing now under the Democrat, Obama, with impunity, I dread to think what it would do under a Republican president?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It is quite possible that the voters in the US will elect a Republican, exactly what Israel would want. If anything, it's possible that it would escalate it's activity. If it's doing what it's doing now under The Democrat Obama, with impunity, I dread to think what it would do under a Republican president?
    True.But I think,a Republican president is an increasingly faraway prospect.
    Currently Democrats are advocating new voters in the states all the time diluting Republicans. The more this happens,the less they have to worry about the Jewish vote.
    The U.S demographics are rapidly changing as you probably know.Hispanics wouldn't be high on the Republican voter list.They're there but the majority of them are Democratic leaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Iranians aren't Arabs but ironically enough they've been one of the biggest backers of the Palestinians despite having little in common with them religiously, linguistically or culturally.

Turkey isn't an Arab country either. Traditionally they've been a major US ally and have tried to remain aloof of the Israeli/Palestine conflict. They currently have an Islamic-orientated president called Erdogan whose foreign policy on the issue is a lot tougher than his predecessors.

Egypt is currently blockading Gaza and is a major factor as to why things are so bad in the Strip at present. They recently had a coup which deposed the Muslim Brotherhood from government. Hamas were originally an off-shoot of the MB and still has close ties with the Morsi regime. The Egyptians were generally suspicious of a radicalised militant population on their doorstep who might destabilise their fragile regime.

Syria is torn apart by civil war.

Half of the people in Jordan are Palestinian refugees. Traditionally the Palestinians have been suspicious of Jordan as the latter have tried to seize political control over Jerusalem and the West Bank over the heads of the former. The Hashemite dynasty ruling Jordan weren't too happy with a load of radical left-wing Palestinians in their country and forcibly expelled the PLO at one stage. No love lost between the two.

K-9 wrote: »
    I suppose it worked in the Cold War, both sides eventually seen the futility of it. I just don't have the same confidence that both sides would use it as deterrents in this scenario. I base that on the Cold War largely being a battle of ideologies that mostly was controlled by politicians, Cuba being the obvious exception. For me there are additional forces at play here, the risk is higher imo.

Sure, but purely based on the proximity of these two nations to eachother, one has to imagine that either one nuking the other would carry huge fallout implications for the aggressor, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sure, but purely based on the proximity of these two nations to eachother, one has to imagine that either one nuking the other would carry huge fallout implications for the aggressor, no?

Well that's the deterrent idea. Personally I'd prefer Iran didn't go that way at all, if both sides know they aren't going to use them, well what's the point? It seems more a dick waving contest tbh! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Well that's the deterrent idea. Personally I'd prefer Iran didn't go that way at all, if both sides know they aren't going to use them, well what's the point? It seems more a dick waving contest tbh! ;)

Perhaps, but right now Israel has the Middle East's only trump card, and it's pretty obvious that they need to be reigned in somehow. The threat of an enemy with nukes might just make them think twice before they go on another carpet bombing campaign.

Of course it might not, this is purely a theory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement