Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS delivered to a complete stranger

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In what way does Parcel Motel fall short of filling this need?

FREE delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have had this happen once or twice - ridiculous nonsense really considering that many people these days don't know their neighbours at all (especially in apartment complexes)

What's needed here is more Parcel Motel type services where you just get everything sent to a location that's convenient to you. Let's face it, most people aren't available between 9 and 5 at home, delivering to the office isn't always an option, so IMO there's a real gap in the market for this that PM is only partly filling... I'd wager most people are using it to get around the extortionate direct shipping charges or in cases where the seller won't ship to ROI (eg: many on Amazon UK)

If you could get a PO box for a reasonable amount per month/year, that any courier/delivery agent could access and which was accessible 24/7, with enough of them around to make it handy then there's a fortune to be made.

I never understood why an post don't do something like parcel motel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Deutche Post do and it works quite well. The boxes are on most street corners and interchanges. You get a note in the door and the parcel is there by the end of the day so the post man doesn't have to bring it all the way back to the depot for processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

KTRIC wrote: »
    Deutche Post do and it works quite well. The boxes are on most street corners and interchanges. You get a note in the door and the parcel is there by the end of the day so the post man doesn't have to bring it all the way back to the depot for processing.

Germany are predominatly a law abiding country, could you imagine the mayhem that would cause here.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

One time we arrived home from holidays to find a parcel outside our front door. I rang DHL and according to their records I had signed for it. They even sent me a copy of my 'signature'.
    Eventually they told me that the delivery man had admitted signing for it himself and leaving the parcel outside. It had been outside for about 3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

One time we arrived home from holidays to find a parcel outside our front door. I rang DHL and according to their records I had signed for it. They even sent me a copy of my 'signature'.
    Eventually they told me that the delivery man had admitted signing for it himself and leaving the parcel outside. It had been outside for about 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The existence of actual ParcelMotel would seem to make it unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Germany are predominatly a law abiding country, could you imagine the mayhem that would cause here.

Parcel Motel have done it, so why not An Post ?? Can you tell me why it wont work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The gym I go to recently ordered a custom made squat rack. It was contracted to a courier by the manufacturer, this courier then subcontracted it to another courier (!!!) who said he'd be delivering it between 3pm and 3:30pm. Instead he delivered it at 1pm to a car dealership nearby the gym. A CAR DEALERSHIP near the GYM. This is completely unacceptable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Parcel Motel have done it, so why not An Post ?? Can you tell me why it wont work ?

They are on private property, are seriosuly saying a large post box on the end of every street would work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

They probably didn't do it initially because they either didn't think of it, or if they did they may have decided that it was too expensive especially with no guarantee that people will actually use it.

Right now I would imagine they aren't doing it because it's very expensive to set up and there is already a well established competitor out there, so it'd be a very risky venture.

Purely speculation tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

An Post call to everyone's home address everyday if there is mail for them so why would they need another Parcel Motel type system unless they were going to cut back on deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

my3cents wrote: »
    An Post call to everyone's home address everyday if there is mail for them so why would they need another Parcel Motel type system unless they were going to cut back on deliveries.

Nightline also deliver direct to peoples houses, didn't stop them from coming up with this system.

The big difference between Nightline and an post tho is that an post have a building in most towns that they can just bring a package back to if the person isn't home, leaving a note telling them to come get it. This isn't the same as parcel motel tho, because they only open from during the day when most people are at work so it's not very convenient to collect stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I just had a UPS package delivered to a neighbour who I don't really know very well - I got in touch with UPS and they said the contract is between the shipper and UPS and that the shipper sets the options in terms of what to do in the event that the recipient is not at the address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Nightline also deliver direct to peoples houses, didn't stop them from coming up with this system.

The big difference between Nightline and an post tho is that an post have a building in most towns that they can just bring a package back to if the person isn't home, leaving a note telling them to come get it. This isn't the same as parcel motel tho, because they only open from during the day when most people are at work so it's not very convenient to collect stuff.

Except lots of smaller post offices don't have the space to hold onto packages so they get sent straight back to the depot to be held.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I just had a UPS package delivered to a neighbour who I don't really know very well - I got in touch with UPS and they said the contract is between the shipper and UPS and that the shipper sets the options in terms of what to do in the event that the recipient is not at the address.

That is correct. Usually with Apple deliveries via UPS, they state quite clearly that there is NO deliveries to neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I ordered an item from Amazon.co.UK and it was delivered yesterday by ups. When it was delivered I was in bed asleep and by the time I got out to the door the driver had dropped the parcel across the road with a neighbour. I saw him coming back to my door and opened it just as he was posting a slip through with details of where my parcel was. He told me the woman across the road had it and she was about to go for a shower so I should be quick or would have to wait till she was finished.there was no offer from the driver to collect my parcel and deliver it properly,possibly because he had a signature and would have given the parcel to just about anyone prepared to sign for it!

The issue I have is that despite their policy of three attempts to deliver items my parcel was given to a complete stranger across the road from me who was inconvenienced and who I am now under compliment to.

Why when their own policy is three attempts at delivery would the driver not just call again when in the area? He is local and would be in Carlow daily.

Anyway I have reported this quite serious issue to Amazon.co.UK and will see what they say but I thought it very unusual and lazy for ups to behave like that especially when their own policy states that 3 attempted deliveries will be made.

Not being funny but you really should have more important things to worry about.
    Go and get your parcel off your neighbour, you never know it might result in some sense of community being created, something that's sadly missing these days.
    Would you rather that the driver brought it back to the depot and tried again the next day or the next day????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There have been many times I wished a courier had left a parcel with a neighbour. Sad days when the facility of having something left with a neighbour is seen as a hassle. For me it would be good customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

There have been many times I wished a courier had left a parcel with a neighbour. Sad days when the facility of having something left with a neighbour is seen as a hassle. For me it would be good customer service.

No.

Good customer service is a phone call to say "is there a neighbour I can leave it with?"

Throwing it into the first house that answers the doorbell is not good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

For you it might be good customer service but I would think for most people it's not doing the job that they're paid to do. In my line of work if I did such a poor job I'd be shown the door pretty fast.

I have so many bad stories about couriers I could be here for days. However, I just give you this one. An ex-girlfriend used to get packages delivered to her in Dublin. At times those packages were delivered to the neighbour next store, even though she was at home waiting for the items. That same good neighbour then went off and complained to the landlord that packages were being delivered all the time to her and that the landlord should do something about it.

Luckily the landlord being a decent sort told my ex not to worry but did point out that packages could go missing in the future, the neighbour had been troublesome in the past.

I really don't get this section of boards at times. If someone offers a service that's paid for, shouldn't that service be provided. No more and no less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement