Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of game..

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Bit of a random question, I’ve been trying to remember the name of a PC game we had when we were younger for ages now..

It was a flight simulator game, it was a Trial version we got along with Monster truck madness and some other games Windows 98..

It started off with you flying along in the rain around rocks and cliffs..

Any ideas? I know it's not a lot to go on, but it's been niggling me for a bit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Assuming it's not one of the MS Flight Sim games... Crimson Skies maybe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Slipstream 5000!

It's probably not Slipstream 5000, but that's always the game i think of when someone mentions flying games when i was younger. That or Strike Commander.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hah, was it Hellbender?

That'd be Windows 95 by the way, things had progressed just a tad by the time '98 was released. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭trout

MS Combat Flight Sim?

5171J1KT1JL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I would have said Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, but I don't remember rain or rocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'd say Crimson Skies too...Epic game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That would have come out a few years later, Crimson Skies.

I would have thought of Hellbender or Terminal Velocity...used to play that a lot back in the day (both games are really similar and made by the same guys)!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Terminal Velocity

Well there's a blast from the past :pac::pac::pac:

Descent 1-3 are where it's really at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Dude never came back to confirm the game....
    Moneys on Chuck Yager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

It was Hellbender!

Just watched a youtube clip and the music brought it all back.. Thanks for the replies!

Ah.. hours well spent.. (some of them just bashing random commands into the keyboard to see what would happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Terminal velocity and descent were great games back in the day.

Here's one for people to help identify...

It was a game late-90's I think.
    You were a tank, but it also had bases involved.

The basic purpose would be to capture these points, build a tower and build your own facilities to help defeat the enemy.

You could jump between your tank and these defense towers too.

It's probably not Battlezone 2, but Battlezone 2?

I gotta go replay Battlezone 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

BizzyC wrote: »
    Here's one for people to help identify...

It was a game late-90's I think.
    You were a tank, but it also had bases involved.

The basic purpose would be to capture these points, build a tower and build your own facilities to help defeat the enemy.

You could jump between your tank and these defense towers too.

It was Uprising (or possibly uprising 2, which wasn't as good). I loved that game, I only had the demo but I played it to death.

401293-uprising-join-or-die-windows-screenshot-you-can-switch-between.png

Here's a weird one. I remember playing this game from a PC Gaming World cover disk around about 1997/98.

You flew a ship in 3rd person through a purple cave while some trippy music played, it was very strange and played more like a tech demo. Don't think there was very much actual game play - don't know it was ever released as a full game.

TomCo wrote: »
    Here's a weird one. I remember playing this game from a PC Gaming World cover disk around about 1997/98.

You flew a ship in 3rd person through a purple cave while some trippy music played, it was very strange and played more like a tech demo. Don't think there was very much actual game play - don't know it was ever released as a full game.
    Forsaken? While first person by default, it did have a third person view too.

Granted it was chock-full of Descent-style gameplay so I'm not sure if that's what you're thinking of.

Nope, this was before forsaken. The game I'm thinking of was polygonal but didn't even have textures.

It was Uprising (or possibly uprising 2, which wasn't as good). I loved that game, I only had the demo but I played it to death.

401293-uprising-join-or-die-windows-screenshot-you-can-switch-between.png

That's the one, Uprising!

Loved that game

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭barrybones_wx

I tried googling mine but it's not coming up with anything sensible... THX?

Early to mid 1990s PC game involving a helicopter... most of your time was spent on long, uneventful journeys across the desert (probably somewhere in Iraq). Definitely was EGA rather than VGA... any thoughts? I was too young to remember all the controls or be patient enough to play it but I watched my brother play it for hours on end... right craic!

I tried googling mine but it's not coming up with anything sensible... THX?

Early to mid 1990s PC game involving a helicopter... most of your time was spent on long, uneventful journeys across the desert (probably somewhere in Iraq). Definitely was EGA rather than VGA... any thoughts? I was too young to remember all the controls or be patient enough to play it but I watched my brother play it for hours on end... right craic!
    LHX?

• Advertisement

I think I had that game too, but a fighter jet version.
    It looks exactly the same except it's a helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I had Fury3 on my P166 w/MMX machine (bought in 1997). A quick google shows this was related to Terminal Velocity.

Ah, memories.

Anyone remember Extreme Assault?
    I played the demo to death, full game wasn't as much fun.

495284-extreme-assault-dos-screenshot-fired-a-missile-against-a-tower.png

Anyone remember Extreme Assault?
    I played the demo to death, full game wasn't as much fun.
    I remember playing the demo back when it only supported software rendering. Had some fun with it if I recall. Then I remember it being bundled with Voodoo cards and hated it because I was stuck with my Riva128 until I finally upgraded to a Voodoo5. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I've had one of these I've asked for years and never found the right game.

I remember playing this game from a PC Gamer cover disk around about 1997/98. (to paraphrase :rolleyes:)

It was an Isometric view, diabo-esque RPG(i assume as it was only a demo). 2D. You played a' balding' dude fighting creatures in a forest. You could change into a bat or werewolf and had potions and spells.

It's not Diablo or Legacy of Kain.

damn, this thread will have me spending my evening playing abandonware...

I have a backlog of new games to get through

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I've had one of these I've asked for years and never found the right game.

I remember playing this game from a PC Gamer cover disk around about 1997/98. (to paraphrase :rolleyes:)

It was an Isometric view, diabo-esque RPG(i assume as it was only a demo). 2D. You played a' balding' dude fighting creatures in a forest. You could change into a bat or werewolf and had potions and spells.

It's not Diablo or Legacy of Kain.
    Magic & Mayhem!

That was one of Julian Gollop's games and his last at Mythos before the catastrophe that was Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge and their subsequent closure. It got a sequel too but I never played it. Alas, due to the whole Virgin restructuring/sale saga, it's not available for sale these days from any of the online stores. :(

He's currently working on the awesome looking Chaos sequel, Chaos Reborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

gizmo wrote: »
    Magic & Mayhem!

That was one of Julian Gollop's games and his last at Mythos before the catastrophe that was Dreamland Chronicles: Freedom Ridge and their subsequent closure. It got a sequel too but I never played it. Alas, due to the whole Virgin restructuring/sale saga, it's not available for sale these days from any of the online stores. :(

He's currently working on the awesome looking Chaos sequel, Chaos Reborn.
    You sir.....ARE A GOD! :pac:

I knew magic was in the title but could never find it. Always might and magic, Heros of might and magic, etc.

Advertisement