Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you backup your data?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i was doing a bit of reading about it and found out i've been doing it wrong! i have an external usb hd and copy over new stuff every couple of months. i also have a couple of older 250gb hds full with stuff in a drawer somewhere which i thought was foolproof. aparently i need to keep writing the information to these cos overtime it just disappears. even the usb hd that i use frequently, the data that is not accessed will 'fade away' if not rewritten.

so how do ye make backups of your data? it seems to me the best way is to have about 2-3 hard disks and regularly format them clean and copy the backup back onto them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I have an external HDD and an inbuilt HDD, and I copy my stuff over onto both every so often, so as to have two backups of everything. It always amuses me how people think their stuff is safe by moving it to an external backup drive. Unless you have two copies of everything, its not backed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

250 gb seems like a lot do you make a lot of movies?

You need to find out what is truly irreplaceable and back that up. Also an external hard drive beside /same house as your primary storage isn't fire protected.

I use Google drive as I don't have much truly irreplaceable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

you'd be amazed how much space 11 years of photographs take up. especially recent years with RAW and HD video! thats the only really irreplaceable stuff, anything else like films and music can be re-ripped etc.

i don't like the thought of using google drive though. or any cloud storage. you literally don't know who is looking at you stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have an external HDD that Windows does regular back ups onto. The important stuff is backed up manually onto Google Drive and Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bits and pieces are stored on the ext drives, with more important stuff and my video / photography work saved onto Google Drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

breadbin wrote: »
    you'd be amazed how much space 11 years of photographs take up. especially recent years with RAW and HD video! thats the only really irreplaceable stuff, anything else like films and music can be re-ripped etc.

i don't like the thought of using google drive though. or any cloud storage. you literally don't know who is looking at you stuff.

Just make so you keep a hard drive off site so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I don't backup anymore, my user "documents" folder on all machines and devices is my Google Drive. 100GB for $1.99 a month. All my music and photos go to Google Music (20,000 songs) and Photos (unlimited at 5MP or use my Drive storage at full size, I have a 5MP camera) and I don't backup movies / series anymore because of Netflix and I have a server that get's flushed of it's files every now and again after being watched so if the HDD fails it's no problem.

Advertisement