Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID and backup options

Options
  • 09-07-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I've just ordered a new workstation and I'm hoping for some advice in setting up a RAID.

I have 4 identical drives on route but I'm not 100% sure what RAID config I should go with (Initially thinking RAID 5,6 or 10), also I don't have a dedicated RAID controller card as I'm not sure how critical they are and cost would be a concern.

The workstation will have a SSD boot drive to hold the OS and working applications (3d modelling, photoshop and a few others).
    I'm planning to store the animations, textures and models on the RAID, I know write speeds will take a hit, but just how bad is it?

Finally I'm completely clueless with regards to backup & archiving, would a separate NAS be a solution?

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Peace. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Its hard to say as you have a bit of trade off whichever you go with.

Performance wise RAID 10 would be the way to go. storage would be 50% of the sum of the drives capacity. 1 Drive failure can be recovered from 1 and in some cases 2 (provided they are not the same set of mirrored drives) drives.

RAID 5 will get you more capacity for your 4 drives, 75% of the total capacity.
    Will cover you in the event of 1 drive failing.

For best performance you would be working on current projects from the SSD (with a copy on the RAID Drives) so RAID 5 would probably be better for your setup.

Regarding the backups an offsite backup like Mozy will cover you in the event of a disaster on your premises, the NAS will cover regular dataloss the RAID array cannot recover from.

Advertisement