Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Smart 4 Turbo

• 09-07-2014 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

So this was released just a few days ago and has some decent specs for the price.

1 GB Ram
    1.2 Ghz Quad-core Snapdragon 400 processor
    Android 4.4
    Front facing camera, Rear Camera has flash
    4G, NFC and 1800 mAh battery

It's probably designed to take on the Moto G and its working for me, at least. I'm tempted to splash €100 on this and get it unlocked. I have no idea who it is made by (Alcatel, Huawei etc) but I would hope it'll be easy to unlock the bootloader and root it to remove the Vodafone bloatware.

The screen isn't as good and there's only 4 GB of storage on it (it takes MicroSD) but the main question is is it a better buy than a Moto G at half the price?

The Missus birthday is in a fortnight which is why I ask.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Looks like it is this one
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=5298&c=vodafone_smart_4g_coolpad_8860u

The battery wouldnt last pissing time on 4g. and as you said you dunno who makes it, coolpad I have never heard of, but i am sure regarding updates the moto would be the better one, plus you know you can unlock it no bothers. no idea how hard this would be to unlock.
    Just my 2 cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Oisin1001

Seems like a good deal. Was looking for a phone under €100 for a family member, and the best phone I could come up with was the crappy Samsung Galaxy Fame. This is pretty great value. Moto G specs apart from the screen and maybe battery life for €50 less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

It's not a good deal. Look at the top up plans available to you and the amount of data for each plan. You'd end up buying add-ons. Better of paying the little extra for a Moto G from Amazon (unlocked).

+it's a Vodafone phone. How easy to unlock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

It's your average China phone with a Vodafone logo slapped on front. Better off with the moto g tbh. Or have a peruse of the China phone thread & you'll find something similar.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement

laoisfan wrote: »
    It's not a good deal. Look at the top up plans available to you and the amount of data for each plan. You'd end up buying add-ons. Better of paying the little extra for a Moto G from Amazon (unlocked).

+it's a Vodafone phone. How easy to unlock?

The 4G Moto G costs €200 off Amazon UK, which is the double the price. I'm not saying the Moto G isn't good value (it definitely is), but this phone is all good value. Build quality probably won't compare to the Moto G, and you more than likely won't get Android L OTA.

I don't know about unlocking, but I don't think it'd be easy.

daytob wrote: »
    Looks like it is this one

The battery wouldnt last pissing time on 4g. and as you said you dunno who makes it, coolpad I have never heard of, but i am sure regarding updates the moto would be the better one, plus you know you can unlock it no bothers. no idea how hard this would be to unlock.
    Just my 2 cents worth

Don't think that's the same phone; the release date says "November, 2013".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Oisin1001 wrote: »
    The 4G Moto G costs €200 off Amazon UK, which is the double the price. I'm not saying the Moto G isn't good value (it definitely is), but this phone is all good value. Build quality probably won't compare to the Moto G, and you more than likely won't get Android L OTA.

I don't know about unlocking, but I don't think it'd be easy.

You'll pay more in the long run due to small data included with the top up plans either through data addon or your credit being eaten by data charges.

The €200 is a once off cost for an unlocked phone with better spec. Plus with €20 top up on Three you'll have unlimited 3G (pay extra currently for 4G).

Forget about whether one costs €100 or €200. Look at your usage patterns, how often you top up, do you really need data etc.

laoisfan wrote: »
    You'll pay more in the long run due to small data included with the top up plans either through data addon or your credit being eaten by data charges.

The €200 is a once off cost for an unlocked phone with better spec. Plus with €20 top up on Three you'll have unlimited 3G (pay extra currently for 4G).

Forget about whether one costs €100 or €200. Look at your usage patterns, how often you top up, do you really need data etc.

Yeah, it depends on your plan and which carrier you're with. If you're with Vodafone, and need a phone for €99, this is the best deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Coolphone are a brand made by a crowd called yulong, 3rd biggest manufacturer in China apparently, who are ahead of huawei in the smartphone game there so it can't be that bad.

I don't see it getting Android L updated but that's not a huge issue right now as its on 4.4 already. Herself is on Vodafone but I asked about unlocking as I'm interested too, especially with the price tag half the Moto g's. I reckon I'll get her one and if its any good I'll get one myself.

Cheers for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Potential bargain-rating for this phone negated by the fact its on Vodafone - so unless you can get it unlocked I wouldn't even consider it - in terms of value PAYG wise they're bottom of the heap (just look at the miserly data allowance 'offers' for PAYG customers - the idea is obviously to sucker people who then get hit with additional data charges when their data allowance quickly runs out). P.S. saw the Nokia Lumia 625 on sale on Meteor site for €129 and a €45 app voucher thrown in too its Windows phone obviously but if you're cool with that it seems v good value for a 4G handset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 llandai

Made by Huawei according to Vodafone. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Page 52 of the user manual on the Vodafone website has it's declaration of conformity state it is made by yulong.

The giveaway I think is the fact that it has an app drawer, something that most Chinese brand ones don't have.

Going to see if I can grab one soon. I was hoping for a few youtube videos to help convince me but there is a lack of those sadly. Payday can't come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Did anyone get one and get it unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Screen is not the best on these phones. Still a reasonable handset though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

sim-unlock.net, cannot unlock this phone, just got refunded

Advertisement